• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle day (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
Exactly a year ago, I visited a mountain range north of Crevillent to see some interesting wildlife. Managed to see a Bonelli's eagle and migrating short-toed eagle. Today I went again, and little did I know how amazing today's trip would be compared to that.
It took some time getting to the canyon, but once I was there I began waiting and looking around. I didn't have to wait long- a huge bird of prey appeared on the horizon. I thought it was a griffon vulture until I got a look at its long tail and long neck. It was an adult golden eagle passing through Bonelli's eagle airspace. It was too distant for any good photos, unfortunately, but as I watched it glide through the area I thought the Bonelli's would rise up at any moment and confront it. Nothing happened, and the golden eagle was lost in the distance.
IMG_7874.JPG
IMG_7884.JPG
As I explored the area, I became aware of an animal making some weird noises nearby. I thought it was a bird, but didn't think too much of it. Choughs were everywhere overhead, some of them looking very eagle-like in the distance, until you caught sight of their long, red bills.
IMG_8012.JPG
As I went up along a trail, I noticed a woodchat shrike perched very close nearby. It surprised me that they were back so soon, and I began taking photos. Easily the best I have ever taken of this species, which beforehand I knew as quite shy and unhelpful!
IMG_8091.JPG
IMG_8105.JPG
Proceeding even further, I stopped, and began to wait. I didn't have to wait long this time. A large bird of prey approached the cliff, and perched on a ledge. It was the Bonelli's eagle. She started preening and ate something quickly before taking off again. As she did so, she passed practically overhead, and at very low altitude.
IMG_8110.JPG
IMG_8128.JPG
I was absolutely stunned, and continued taking photos as the eagle slowly cruised into the distance, until it disappeared behind a ridge. Satisfied, I left, my head spinning.
I then heard that animal noise again- it was coming from a half-dry reservoir. I approached, and then identified what it was. Maybe it was the distance in the past, also with dogs barking nonstop in the distance, but now I could clearly hear an incredibly loud croaking sound. I saw some frogs floating about in the water, I thought, Iberian green frog. Wow, they were loud...
IMG_8167.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back