• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

So apparently the town I live in bans bird feeding... (1 Viewer)

jzmtl

Who would've thought? Raccoons and such I can understand, but birds? What kind of fatass politician came up with that idea? :C

Is this common? I'd imagine no since not even google turns up any result on such generalized ban.

Fresh from the city newsletter...

Attachments

• 20121007.jpg
    20121007.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 181
strange when we're actively encouraged to feed the birds here.
In local parks or by restaurants near the sea you may see signs saying "please do not feed the birds" but not in and around your own garden.
I wonder what penalty applies if you're found to be feeding the birds in your own yard?
It does seem a strange policy

Brossard sounds like a very strange (and unpleasant) place. No feeding at all, even hummingbirds? Is the law actually obeyed? Time for a spot of civil disobediance it seems to me!

I have no idea, I've lived here for 5 years and this is the first time I've ever heard of it. I briefly went through the city website and didn't see anything. And pretty much every large store in the city have dedicated section for bird feeder/feed so...

Who would've thought? Raccoons and such I can understand, but birds? What kind of fatass politician came up with that idea? :C

Is this common? I'd imagine no since not even google turns up any result on such generalized ban.

Fresh from the city newsletter...

The newsletter excerpt looks to be a paraphrase of the actual ordinance. Would be interested to see the actual language. It may be the paraphrase omitted some subtleties that made it clear ordinary birdfeeders and the like were not being prohibited.

Jim

Found this:
http://www.ville.brossard.qc.ca/Municipal-services/animals.aspx

"Feeding birds, squirrels, cats and all other animals in a way that disrupts the peaceful use of property in the neighborhood is also prohibited." Not quite so definite as the newsletter it would seem.

You are good! I was looking for actual bylaws but didn't find any.

Guess whoever writes the municipal newsletter is an idiot, omitting the few words that completely changes its meaning.

I have sympathy with the letter. I was eating my lunch a few weeks back in a park local to where I was working. My colleague threw a morsel to one of the feral pigeons hanging around. Next thing we were surrounded literally being mobbed. One even hovered right in my friends face trying to get at the front of the melee. He will never make the mistake of feeding them again.
Feeding animals ultimately leads some of them to agressive behaviour. Hey its their lives at stake right, its not their fault, its ours. I feed in the garden, but giving birds/animals food from your plate is just asking for trouble.......... I presume this is what the letter is aimed at.

I'm not even remotely a fan of feeding birds, but it seems a lot of folks on BF are quite into it etc.
I don't wan't to get into debating it, so the thinking behind this post is just to demonstrate my approach.

There's nothing more beautiful than wild things being wild ....

With a bit of intervention by (us) humans, it's possible (through work), to take degraded lands, and rehabilitate them, so that not only are they a reasonable facsimilie of the original indigenous state (this requires quite a bit of accelerated old-growth mimmickry), but also a more diverse than natural, compression of many different habitat types. For example, at a farm scale, taking derived natural grasslands, and restoring not only the original woodlands in places, but also combining wetlands, terrain rockeries, forests, dams, flowering / seeding plants, range extension, (preparation for climate change), shrub corridors, aspect diversity, and gardens, etc.

This can also be applied on rural / residential lot, or garden scale.

This is always my preference - provide food, habitat, shelter, and water, through natural means, paying careful attention to restoring / augmenting all the layers, and connectivity with remnant patches of indigenous habitat (old-growth if your lucky enough to have some nearby).

You could say that throwing different vegetation types and ecosystems together is somewhat artificial, and the results are certainly chaotic (in the scientific sense of the word), but I think that as long as things like potential weeds or pest species are not introduced, and do not cross the boundaries, that somehow nature sorts it out, even if not apparent to us. I have seen areas of typically less than a dozen narky 'increaser' species in degraded areas, transformed into areas that have seen over 150 species visit / reside.

I think anyone can make beneficial contributions in this way.

Chosun :gh:

I have sympathy with the letter. I was eating my lunch a few weeks back in a park local to where I was working. My colleague threw a morsel to one of the feral pigeons hanging around. Next thing we were surrounded literally being mobbed. One even hovered right in my friends face trying to get at the front of the melee. He will never make the mistake of feeding them again.
Feeding animals ultimately leads some of them to agressive behaviour. Hey its their lives at stake right, its not their fault, its ours. I feed in the garden, but giving birds/animals food from your plate is just asking for trouble.......... I presume this is what the letter is aimed at.

I know what you mean. My wife and I were picnicking at the park a couple of weeks ago, and a goose came up to me. I tossed it a piece of my Subway sandwich. Shortly after that we had a whole gaggle of geese begging to be fed only a couple of feet away. They didn't get real aggressive, but as my wife pointed out they announced to anyone there we had ignored the sign saying to not feed the wildlife.

Marshall

Chosan

In the UK the two major "Bird Organisations" the RSPB and the BTO encourage garden bird feeding.
In the UK urban gardens represent a sizeable area of habitat,
Horses for courses

In Australia the feeding of wild birds isn't encouraged, not artificial feeding anyway...Australians are encouraged to plant native plants to attract birds...not that many do!!
I think it very much depends where you are & the habits of the local birds, if I were to have a bird feeder where I am it would benefit the introduced non native birds...Sparrows, Starlings etc.

Robert,

I realise that much of the British Isles is modified habitat, and that "In the UK urban gardens represent a sizeable area of habitat", it's just that I prefer more "natural" methods of feeding, such as I mentioned.

As brokenswan has said, feeding stations over here tend to encourage 'pests' such as sparrows, starlings, indian mynas, pigeons etc. Apart from those undesireables, artificial feeding also disrupts the 'balance' in the favour of native 'increaser' species, which are usually territorial, and/or aggressive - noisy miners, magpies, butcherbirds, lorikeets, etc. This is undesireable to the local biodiversity, and in fact, you even have to be careful what 'type' of plants are added to a garden, as some of the larger, 'showy' grevilleas for example, will have the same effect. I'm sure there are similar, country specific situations and outcomes in other countries as well.

I agree somewhat with "Horses for courses", and I have no real position on practices in other countries, although I could see what I outlined applying in most countries (Siberian winters and such notwithstanding).

Birds in Backyards, a program from BirdLife Australia, has issued some recommendations /guidelines /info, on this and related matters, which forum members may find of interest .....
http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/feed-or-not-feed-0
http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/places
http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/Guidelines-Creating-Bird-Habitats

Myself, personally, I hate the notion of artificial feeding with a passion, but then again, I have transformed countless gardens /yards into veritable oases for all manner of previously non-existent bird life. In fact, many times it has me stumped, how native wildlife miraculously find these 'wells' in the 'desert' of suburbia, where they are located.

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back