• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

HR or HDF fixed eyepiece for gs 52 ed? (1 Viewer)

Laurie93

Hi,
I am thinking of buying the Opticron gs 52 ed, but I am having a dilemma on which eyepiece to buy.
I am thinking of buying the HR (40931) eyepiece at £57 that delivers 20x, or the HDF (40858) eyepiece at £169 that delivers 24x on this scope.
The HDF has a smaller field of view at 2.81 degrees vs. 3.38 degrees. They both have an actual FOV of 67.5 degrees.
They both even have the same eye relief.
The HDF has a twist up eyecup. Does this make it much more comfortable than the HR?
Is the quality difference very noticeable? Is that extra £100 going to get me a £100 better eyepiece?
The extra 4x magnification does tempt me.
Do you really think it would be worth getting the HDF over the HR?
What are your thoughts?
Thanks, Laurie.

Hi Laurie,

I would say it was, but the proof is really in the testing before you buy. What someone might think is worth the extra £100+ the other might not.

Your nearest stockists of GS52 ED would be either South West Optics (Truro) LCE Exeter or Plymouth. Although you would need to give them a call to make sure they have the eyepieces in stock, before making a journey.

Best wishes,

Take a trip to Truro by train - SW Optics is at the bottom of the hill from the Railway Station.
I've got a Mighty Midget ED & an ES80 ED and have their HDF & SDL zoom eyepieces and (personally) don't like fixed eyepieces - I'm often at St Ives Island where birds may be 100 yards or three miles away and a zoom really does help.

Hi! i very recently bought an mm2 scope with that 20x HR 40931 eyepiece and i was pleased at first with the image quality but i very quickly realised when trying to identify distant birds that i really wanted a bit more mag and sharpness, especially with a 52mm objective lens. So, 2 weeks later i tried a range of HDF eyepieces on the scope and immediately i noticed a difference. the HDF lenses were far superior both with sharpness, brightness and comfort. i ended up part exchanging the HR lens for an HDF zoom after just two weeks, wishing i had just bought the HDF to begin with. so, i would definately reccomend the HDF lenses over the HR.
best regards

Hi! i very recently bought an mm2 scope with that 20x HR 40931 eyepiece and i was pleased at first with the image quality but i very quickly realised when trying to identify distant birds that i really wanted a bit more mag and sharpness, especially with a 52mm objective lens. So, 2 weeks later i tried a range of HDF eyepieces on the scope and immediately i noticed a difference. the HDF lenses were far superior both with sharpness, brightness and comfort. i ended up part exchanging the HR lens for an HDF zoom after just two weeks, wishing i had just bought the HDF to begin with. so, i would definately reccomend the HDF lenses over the HR.
best regards

Thanks for your reply F1 fan, (I’m an F1 fan too |=)|)
That’s got me thinking that perhaps a zoom would be a better option. It would allow me to set it low for use on a monopod but also higher for sea watching and estuary viewing.
How do you find the loss in FOV? Is it that bad?
Thanks, Laurie.

Hopefully I will be able to get myself to one of the Opticron stockists sometime soon so I can test things out for myself.
Thanks for the help.
Laurie

Hi laurie. Good to see a fellow f1 fan on here!
Although there is a drop in fov as you zoom in, I don't think anything of it as I use the zoom to just zoom in on something specific I've found while scanning when zoomed out. The zoom is just so convenient for me. When I want to see more I can. With the fixed eyepiece I was frustrated when I wanted to see something just that little bit further away and couldn't. Trying them out before you buy really is the best way if you can get to a stockist. I'm very happy with my hdf zoom though with my mm2 though!

Hopefully I will be able to get myself to one of the Opticron stockists sometime soon so I can test things out for myself.
Thanks for the help.
Laurie

You've got some fantastic birding opportunities where you live !!!

I'm up your way on saturday for a StuartLine birdwatching cruise from Exmouth.

I use an SDL eyepiece on the Midget which zooms with no focus correction.

I might pop up to Dawlish on thursday to see if the Grebes and Divers are back yet and have a sausage sandwich at the Red Rock Cafe and an Ice Cream at Gays.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back