• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A few days with the Pentax ZD 8x43 ED (4 Viewers)

ariban

At the top of Pentax’s line is the ZD ED series. These come in 10x50, 10x43 and 8X43. These are not to be confused with the slightly lesser speced ZD WP series. The ZD ED series is presented as being fully waterproof (JIS 6Class), rubber armoured, magnesium alloy body, fully multicoated with coatings to enhance transmission and dielectric coated prisms. Moreover, they have proprietary coatings that ensure water and oil/ grease do not adhere to the external glass surfaces.
I would like to thank Ricoh-Pentax India for sending over this unit. There are no strings attached and I am under no compulsion to buy it. I have been using this pair near exclusively for the last fortnight or so. I would like to share my observations.

The Bins came in a rather plain cardboard case with a shrink wrap cover. No going overboard in elaborate packaging. A good step, given environmental concerns. Inside was a synthetic case - green with faux leather 'Pentax' disc. Inside the carry case the bins fit snugly. The box bears the country of origin and it is made in Japan. A neoprene strap is included.

Covered in green armour, these are smart looking bins. The fit & finish is excellent, no loose flappy edges. The armour is grippy and does not seem to attract any extra dust. The edge of the objectives are soft as the armour extends over the barrels, giving that slightest extra cushioning. The barrels have PENTAX moulded in the rubber and it looks nice. A small plate on the left of the hinge has PENTAX Z-series ED written on it. The eyepieces have a base ring. On the left one, 8x43 ED lens is printed. The right ring is for the dioptre adjustment. It has to be pulled up. It is tight. Once set, the ring is to be pushed down. It has stayed in place, so full marks there. The strap attachment lugs are placed on either side and appear ok for any harness/ strap.

9C1C2BC6-BD04-49D0-A8BF-40AF646B8EAE.jpg
At 715 gms, these are in weight class that is the norm for premium bins but look smaller than I expected. The design is a single hinge type – a large hinge on which the two barrels move. The inter-pupillary distance is between 58.4mm to 74.2mm – generous enough. It is tight and moves securely. The construction quality is good enough so by all indications it won’t become loose, anytime soon. The focusing ring is ribbed and huge. The right index finger comes on it as I raise it to my eyes. It is smooth and very precise but not the fastest.

The objective covers are rubber and fit inside the barrels. They are tethered to the knob that covers the tripod mount. Nice arrangement. The rain guard is plastic and loose – which suits me fine – quick to put on and take off.

I took this pair with me on my recent travel to the western desert. No better place than the dusty desert to field-test a pair. As I have already said it held up well to the dust and grime, and armour looked clean after 15 days of regular use.

The specs if you have noticed, are a bit unusual. We get binoculars with objective size, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, 40mm, 50mm and so on. We also get binoculars with objectives 32mm and 42mm. Here we have 43mm. Does one millimetre make a difference? Well it probably does by allowing a slightly more amount of light to enter the barrel. I however could not make out the difference, even when I compared it with other binoculars I had. It is brighter in low light than the CL 8x30B but then 30mm vs 43 mm is not a fair comparison. It is brighter by a lot than some entry level 8x42s but it is also much more expensive.

The objective lenses have a green hue. Just a touch (the Swarovskis appear a bit more tobacco hued green while the Zeiss’ are pink). The barrels are ridged and baffled all the way and no shiny internals can be seen. The barrels are very clean inside – hinting at good quality control. All efforts have been made to cut down stray reflections and ghosting.

The eyepieces are metal and twist out. There are four stops in all. That should cover most face types.

Asahi Pentax gave the world the first multicoated optics and that is a traditional strength the brand Pentax still carries. The lenses and prisms are designed and coated to have high transmission. The view is outright bright, sharp and contrasty. The beautifully camouflaged mother GIB popped into focus with the catchlight distinct from over 100 meters away. A Long-legged Buzzard on a pole looked gorgeous – as if it just had a beauty makeover in a salon. It just blew away an Olympus DP Porro, an old Pentax DCF Porro, a Bushnell H2O roof and a Nikon Prostaff by its clarity. The sweet spot is large, most of the field is in focus (and I could see the entire field comfortably with spectacles on thanks to the massive 22mm eye relief. Blurring is just at the very edge and most of it could be focused away. Astigmatism is low. Chromatic aberration aka purple fringing is negligible in the centre but moderate at the edges – northing to spoil that lovely view. The brightness is good as a Zeiss Conquest HD – hinting to a very high transmission in the visible spectrum. I noticed no colour cast. The minimum focusing distance is stated to be 2 mts. My guess is it is slightly less than that. The spec sheet is conservative. The view is punchy, sharp and it handles sunlight incident on the objectives from the side quite well.
6143ABE8-91EB-463C-80B6-CA5FD99003D2.jpg
So why is this not popular enough? Richoh-Pentax’s marketing philosophy is a bit strange. Difficult to see them advertise anywhere. This is a well-made pair with good innards. Maybe not Schott glass, but Hoya and others make great glass in Japan. The spec sheet says Bak-4 prisms and the view supports that.

Oh yes, the field. At 6.3 degrees, 110 meters at 1000 meters, it is certainly not wide field, especially when compared to the offerings from other premium manufacturers. This is a 8x43 with field of my Zeiss FL 10X42. Go figure. Except in a select few models, wide fields come with limitations such as smallish sweet spots, excessive astigmatism and blurring at the edge. The trick lies in eye-piece design. Here the Pentax engineers have taken a different approach. They knew the field is not 150 mts at 1000 meters (as in a Zeiss SF or Swaro NL Pure - but neither is this that expensive). So they made sure they had a field that was as well corrected as possible. Minimal aberrations and sharp edge to edge. I could follow Harriers and Sandgrouse in flight in the evening with this pair and the field looked every bit good as my Zeiss FL 10X42s (which are bench markedly good). In the fading light a lone Indian Fox came looking for leftovers. His black tail-tip was distinct. The night sky above the Thar desert looks magnificent with the naked eye. With these binoculars, Capella looked bright as it should be and Andromeda, Cassiopeia and Perseus were breathtaking. Early in the morning, Ursa Major was bright and distinct. A lovely red sliver of moon rose late – red because of dust in the horizon. I really should look at the night sky more. back home this pair helped in adding a new species to the Campus check-list - a Green warbler. I can bird with this quite well - and for this statement I might get bashed. All in all, I won’t hesitate to recommend these binoculars to anyone. If looked after, these will last and give years of enjoyment.

I love a wide field as any other person. Hence the wish that Pentax updated these with a wider field. It need not be 150 meters. A 130-140 metre field will make these far superior and a serious contender for a sub-alpha spot. But will that compromise the eye-relief? Well I am not an engineer.

Arijit

I have the standard ZD 8x43 WP and they have become my do-all pair of binoculars for both the day and nighttime skies. Love the views they give me and by far my favorite pair of binoculars that I own. I cant imaging them getting any better than they are so I can only guess at the views the ED glass provides. Thank you for the write up and sharing your thoughts!

We owned a pair, definitely nice glass for the money. Easy to bring to your eyes with their gorgeous long eye relief. These are definitely underrated . Adorama now has a special on these for $699. As good or better than any other x42mm glass in this price range.

At the top of Pentax’s line is the ZD ED series. These come in 10x50, 10x43 and 8X43. These are not to be confused with the slightly lesser speced ZD WP series. The ZD ED series is presented as being fully waterproof (JIS 6Class), rubber armoured, magnesium alloy body, fully multicoated with coatings to enhance transmission and dielectric coated prisms. Moreover, they have proprietary coatings that ensure water and oil/ grease do not adhere to the external glass surfaces.
I would like to thank Ricoh-Pentax India for sending over this unit. There are no strings attached and I am under no compulsion to buy it. I have been using this pair near exclusively for the last fortnight or so. I would like to share my observations.

The Bins came in a rather plain cardboard case with a shrink wrap cover. No going overboard in elaborate packaging. A good step, given environmental concerns. Inside was a synthetic case - green with faux leather 'Pentax' disc. Inside the carry case the bins fit snugly. The box bears the country of origin and it is made in Japan. A neoprene strap is included.

Covered in green armour, these are smart looking bins. The fit & finish is excellent, no loose flappy edges. The armour is grippy and does not seem to attract any extra dust. The edge of the objectives are soft as the armour extends over the barrels, giving that slightest extra cushioning. The barrels have PENTAX moulded in the rubber and it looks nice. A small plate on the left of the hinge has PENTAX Z-series ED written on it. The eyepieces have a base ring. On the left one, 8x43 ED lens is printed. The right ring is for the dioptre adjustment. It has to be pulled up. It is tight. Once set, the ring is to be pushed down. It has stayed in place, so full marks there. The strap attachment lugs are placed on either side and appear ok for any harness/ strap.

View attachment 1476651
At 715 gms, these are in weight class that is the norm for premium bins but look smaller than I expected. The design is a single hinge type – a large hinge on which the two barrels move. The inter-pupillary distance is between 58.4mm to 74.2mm – generous enough. It is tight and moves securely. The construction quality is good enough so by all indications it won’t become loose, anytime soon. The focusing ring is ribbed and huge. The right index finger comes on it as I raise it to my eyes. It is smooth and very precise but not the fastest.

The objective covers are rubber and fit inside the barrels. They are tethered to the knob that covers the tripod mount. Nice arrangement. The rain guard is plastic and loose – which suits me fine – quick to put on and take off.

I took this pair with me on my recent travel to the western desert. No better place than the dusty desert to field-test a pair. As I have already said it held up well to the dust and grime, and armour looked clean after 15 days of regular use.

The specs if you have noticed, are a bit unusual. We get binoculars with objective size, 20mm, 25mm, 30mm, 40mm, 50mm and so on. We also get binoculars with objectives 32mm and 42mm. Here we have 43mm. Does one millimetre make a difference? Well it probably does by allowing a slightly more amount of light to enter the barrel. I however could not make out the difference, even when I compared it with other binoculars I had. It is brighter in low light than the CL 8x30B but then 30mm vs 43 mm is not a fair comparison. It is brighter by a lot than some entry level 8x42s but it is also much more expensive.

The objective lenses have a green hue. Just a touch (the Swarovskis appear a bit more tobacco hued green while the Zeiss’ are pink). The barrels are ridged and baffled all the way and no shiny internals can be seen. The barrels are very clean inside – hinting at good quality control. All efforts have been made to cut down stray reflections and ghosting.

The eyepieces are metal and twist out. There are four stops in all. That should cover most face types.

Asahi Pentax gave the world the first multicoated optics and that is a traditional strength the brand Pentax still carries. The lenses and prisms are designed and coated to have high transmission. The view is outright bright, sharp and contrasty. The beautifully camouflaged mother GIB popped into focus with the catchlight distinct from over 100 meters away. A Long-legged Buzzard on a pole looked gorgeous – as if it just had a beauty makeover in a salon. It just blew away an Olympus DP Porro, an old Pentax DCF Porro, a Bushnell H2O roof and a Nikon Prostaff by its clarity. The sweet spot is large, most of the field is in focus (and I could see the entire field comfortably with spectacles on thanks to the massive 22mm eye relief. Blurring is just at the very edge and most of it could be focused away. Astigmatism is low. Chromatic aberration aka purple fringing is negligible in the centre but moderate at the edges – northing to spoil that lovely view. The brightness is good as a Zeiss Conquest HD – hinting to a very high transmission in the visible spectrum. I noticed no colour cast. The minimum focusing distance is stated to be 2 mts. My guess is it is slightly less than that. The spec sheet is conservative. The view is punchy, sharp and it handles sunlight incident on the objectives from the side quite well.
View attachment 1476654
So why is this not popular enough? Richoh-Pentax’s marketing philosophy is a bit strange. Difficult to see them advertise anywhere. This is a well-made pair with good innards. Maybe not Schott glass, but Hoya and others make great glass in Japan. The spec sheet says Bak-4 prisms and the view supports that.

Oh yes, the field. At 6.3 degrees, 110 meters at 1000 meters, it is certainly not wide field, especially when compared to the offerings from other premium manufacturers. This is a 8x43 with field of my Zeiss FL 10X42. Go figure. Except in a select few models, wide fields come with limitations such as smallish sweet spots, excessive astigmatism and blurring at the edge. The trick lies in eye-piece design. Here the Pentax engineers have taken a different approach. They knew the field is not 150 mts at 1000 meters (as in a Zeiss SF or Swaro NL Pure - but neither is this that expensive). So they made sure they had a field that was as well corrected as possible. Minimal aberrations and sharp edge to edge. I could follow Harriers and Sandgrouse in flight in the evening with this pair and the field looked every bit good as my Zeiss FL 10X42s (which are bench markedly good). In the fading light a lone Indian Fox came looking for leftovers. His black tail-tip was distinct. The night sky above the Thar desert looks magnificent with the naked eye. With these binoculars, Capella looked bright as it should be and Andromeda, Cassiopeia and Perseus were breathtaking. Early in the morning, Ursa Major was bright and distinct. A lovely red sliver of moon rose late – red because of dust in the horizon. I really should look at the night sky more. back home this pair helped in adding a new species to the Campus check-list - a Green warbler. I can bird with this quite well - and for this statement I might get bashed. All in all, I won’t hesitate to recommend these binoculars to anyone. If looked after, these will last and give years of enjoyment.

I love a wide field as any other person. Hence the wish that Pentax updated these with a wider field. It need not be 150 meters. A 130-140 metre field will make these far superior and a serious contender for a sub-alpha spot. But will that compromise the eye-relief? Well I am not an engineer.

Arijit
Thanks for that review. They appear to be incrementally improved over the previous model. The moderate FOV of Pentax binoculars, even in their top models, has kept me from buying one since they first introduced the 8x43 WP years back, which I tried at a birding event. They've changed the letters and upgraded the optics with an ED element (but who hasn't?), and perhaps improved the coatings, but the moderate FOV and plastic green body design has remained exactly the same.

That should keep costs lower since as we've seen with Zeiss, Lieca and Swaro, a radical redesign has pushed prices into the stratosphere. If customers are still buying the Pentax roofs in the numbers the company is comfortable with, then why bother trying to keep up with the Joneses? It appears they found their niche.

Thanks for that review. They appear to be incrementally improved over the previous model. The moderate FOV of Pentax binoculars, even in their top models, has kept me from buying one since they first introduced the 8x43 WP years back, which I tried at a birding event. They've changed the letters and upgraded the optics with an ED element (but who hasn't?), and perhaps improved the coatings, but the moderate FOV and plastic green body design has remained exactly the same.

That should keep costs lower since as we've seen with Zeiss, Lieca and Swaro, a radical redesign has pushed prices into the stratosphere. If customers are still buying the Pentax roofs in the numbers the company is comfortable with, then why bother trying to keep up with the Joneses? It appears they found their niche.
The ZD ED has a Magnesium alloy body and as far fit and finish is concerned, is very good. It is a good looking and well made pair. The FOV I understand is something held against it (I actually am not convinced that a slightly narrow FOV is a deal breaker). It is bright and contrasty and sharp across the field.

The price online in India is actually much below the offerings from Zeiss et al. With discount coupons and stuff off Amazon, it is actually in thew range of or at times less than a made in China ZeissTerra - which is an average binocular in every way. Many average Nikons, plasticky to boot cost actually more than the ZD ED.

None of the manufacturers offer a clear cut warranty in India. So... :confused:

View attachment 1476651

View attachment 1476654

Arijit

I understand Pentax ZD models have not been taken seriously by birders and binocular nerdys because of the only 50deg AFOV.
But I think it's good they don't sacrifice eye relief in order to get wider FOV. One example of that is Vortex Viper HD 8x42 and 10x50. The former series had around 50deg and worked well with eyeglasses. The new current series have significantly wider field but I was dissapointed when I tried the 8x42 and it did not work well with eyeglasses. According to the few reviews I read ZD EDs are optically excellent close to alpha level, so I would like to try one out.

I understand Pentax ZD models have not been taken seriously by birders and binocular nerdys because of the only 50deg AFOV.
But I think it's good they don't sacrifice eye relief in order to get wider FOV. One example of that is Vortex Viper HD 8x42 and 10x50. The former series had around 50deg and worked well with eyeglasses. The new current series have significantly wider field but I was dissapointed when I tried the 8x42 and it did not work well with eyeglasses. According to the few reviews I read ZD EDs are optically excellent close to alpha level, so I would like to try one out.
The Pentax 43mm ED version in the 8x power, we have owned both. Many here would argue that …. this Pentax line could not be Alpha level just because of their Name and that because they are sourced from Japan, but I am not one, I think both the earlier version and the newest ZD current Pentax ED produce Alpha Level Optical Views.

The Pentax 43mm ED version in the 8x power, we have owned both. Many here would argue that …. this Pentax line could not be Alpha level just because of their Name and that because they are sourced from Japan, but I am not one, I think both the earlier version and the newest ZD current Pentax ED produce Alpha Level Optical Views.
Have you tried the Pentax ZD 8x43WP? If so, what are your overall impressions?

By the way: I forgot to tell that I already have experience of this binocular. More specific I had a 8x43 DCF SP 15 years ago or more.
But I bought a Swarovski SLC 7x42 neu, and sold the Pentax. DCF 8x43 SP was good but SLC 7x42 a step up in image quality and with a larger FOV.
ZD ED seems to be very identical to DCF SP.
And between these there is ZD WP.
Same FOV and ER, but with upgraded optics.
So optically ZD ED is two upgrade steps above DCF SP, right?
Advantages with these Pentaxes are very long ER and lightweight. The Swaro 7x42 was more than 200gram heavier.

Last edited:
Is very identical more identical than identical?:ROFLMAO:
I am glad you brought this up. After I sold my ZD ED versions of both the 8x and 10x binoculars I remember thinking … I should have kept both of my Pentax’s DCF SP ED the original versions of the Pentax ED binoculars that I owned. I was chasing the next current/better back then.

Is very identical more identical than identical?:ROFLMAO:

Ok...maybe PRETTY identical is a better word. 😉
The outer design is almost identical, as well as the FOV is. But I expect better sharpness, contrast and brightness. Maybe edge sharpness as well, I don't remember how well DCF SP performed in this respect.

By the way: at Cloudy Nights forum I read that the 10x50 of ZD ED only has 47deg AFOV.
If that is correct, it should mean 8x43 has it as well, because they share the same eyepiece model, right? Then the TFOV is only ~5,9deg.

Edit: I found information. Allbino measured TFOV as almost exactly 6,3deg. So that is ~50deg AFOV.
I find it strange if the 10x50 of same series has 47deg. They should share the same eyepiece design.

Anyway: according to all I read both here at BF and other sites it seems the only reason which hinders ZD ED to be officially considered as an alpha glass is the FOV. Which is not a quality property, but performance.
I am very tempted to order a ZD 8x43 ED. But Zeiss SFL 8x30 is also attractive. More compact, and half the brightness but much wider FOV. And higher price.
The pricetag of Pentax is attractive.

Last edited:
Belatedly, the ZD ED spec’s:

View attachment 1559781

Details of the predecessor DCF ED can be found at: Pentax 8x32 DCF ED review by Roger Vine

John

Thanks!
According to that specification 8x43 has 50,3deg AFOV and 10x50 has 49,7deg. It should be exactly the same because it should be the very same ocular design, so it's probably just a rounding deviation due to unprecise FOV of 87 vs 110m. Or that the magnifications are not exactly 8 vs 10x.
But according to a thread at Cloudy Nights forum the 10x50 is measured to only 47deg. This should mean 8x43 has the same as well.
Anyone who can check out what is correct here?

Last edited:
Thanks!
According to that specification 8x43 has 50,3deg AFOV and 10x50 has 49,7deg. It should be exactly the same because it should be the very same ocular design, so it's probably just a rounding deviation due to unprecise FOV of 87 vs 110m. Or that the magnifications are not exactly 8 vs 10x.
But according to a thread at Cloudy Nights forum the 10x50 is measured to only 47deg. This should mean 8x43 has the same as well.
Anyone who can check out what is correct here?
The differences between the two are so small does it really matter that much ?, especially when considering that the sweet spots that both the earlier version of the DCF ED and the current ZD ED provide. Going from memory from handling these, the eyepiece(lens) design is what contributed in making these a delight to use because of their gorgeous long eye relief for eye glass wearers. For me personally, I would take a more restrictive FOV any day and welcome this type of lens design to have that great eye relief.

Last edited:
Worse than rounding errors, these precise looking numbers are based on nothing more than the inaccurate method of multiplying the real field in degrees by the magnification. The true AFOV is probably at least two degrees less than either figure once it's actually measured to include rectilinear and angular magnification distortions. If these two use the same eyepiece with the same size field stop they will both have identical apparent fields once they're measured properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back