• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Making the mos of RSPB South Stack (1 Viewer)

daniel o

Hi, I am visiting RSPB South Stack on Monday 26th May 2014 for the first time and I was hoping someone could give me some advice about getting the most out of a day visit. I am also hoping to visit Holyhead harbour for the Black Guillemots and I was hoping if there are any tips on getting the most bird species from both RSPB South Stack & Holyhead Harbour.

P.S I'm sorry about the spelling mistake in the title but it's too late to change it now.

Park at the cafe at South Stack.
Great home made cakes !
Easy access to Ellins Tower and views over the breeding cliffs.
You may well see peregrine from the car park and almost certainly Chough
Good Luck

If your able to, get up to Cemlyn Bay on the north side of Anglesey. They have nearly all the british terns species as well as waders & migrants.

CB

Thank you both for the info. Cheshire Birder, what kind of birds should I expect at Cemyln Bay at this time of year: ie. migrants, terns, waders, etc. Thanks :t:

hi , if you walk halfway down steps to the lighthouse and look across to cliffs where elin tower is , there are normally a few puffin about on grass slopes,
i managed to visit south stack, cemlyn & harbour in a day. as mentioned cemlyn is a must, i saw black guillemots from soldiers point this is at the west end of the harbour :t:

The pools around RAF Valley are worth a look, quite a few Choughs at South Stack last week, a few Roseate Terns at Cemlyn.

Have a walk across the heath from South Stack towards Holyhead Mountain as well if you have time & I agree about trying to fit in Cemlyn Bay.

Cemlyn plays host to Common, Arctic and Sandwich Terns plus Roseate Tern if your lucky. Migrants turn up in the area of the headland on the west side of Cemlyn. On site wardens will tell you what is about.

CB

Thanks, what are the chances of finding a roseate tern at Cemlyn? and have any been reported recently? Also, what migrants and waders can I expect? :t:

Daniel, go to the main/home page, find the "my local patch" menu, go to "Wales" then to "Anglesey"
The information may be there but the local experts will definitely be monitoring that forum
Good Luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back