• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wales 2023 (1 Viewer)

Original PaulE

United Kingdom
Based in Mid-Wales for a week, we planned several trips out. This post covers a trip to Anglesey last Sunday, choice of venue was largely dictated by the weather forecast which had the whole of Wales, except Anglesey, covered in rain!! Was a good trip out, stopped at Llyn Trawsfynydd in the hope of seeing the reported Wood Sandpiper, failed miserably, didn't see the Osprey or Little Ringed Plover either! Did see a Common Sandpiper and a load of Swifts. Nice to hear Curlews, a local dog walker said he hadn't heard them for the last couple of years, so hopefully they are back to stay! Also heard 3 Cuckoos in the distance.
South Stack produced Puffins, Choughs and a large amount of Guillemots and Razorbills. Holyhead Harbour had Black Guillemots though the close one flew off before I could get a pic, though i managed a distant one!!
We finished at the Dingle where we had fantastic views of Red Squirrels!!
As ever there is a fuller report on the blog at the link and a load of pictures, there is a theory that you can have too many Red Squirrel pictures, but I don't subscribe to it! A good start to proceedings!!

559A2663.JPG
559A1764.JPG

Part 2 of our Welsh Trip, highlights include a visit to RSPB Conwy and the Great Orme. I had not been to the Orme before, what a great place, at least in the spring sunshine, loads of birds including Choughs, Wheatears, Meadow Pipits and Stonechats and fantastic scenery especially with the Gorse in full bloom!!! Quality Ice Cream as well which is also Important. Not forgetting the Goats, great views of these pretty impressive beasts!!! Doing well for Mammals on this trip so far, with the Squirrels and the Goats!! Fuller report and a lot more pictures on the Blog at the link below

559A4656.JPG
559A4256.JPG

If you're ever up the Orme and fancy something a bit different I recommend the copper mines. Not great if you're claustrophobic I guess, but I found it quite interesting when I took the boys a few years ago. Gets Black Redstarts in winter. Also, did you go round Marine Drive? Can be quite good fun.

And while John is quite right about the Royal Welsh Fusilier Goats being untickable, I always get a (not literal) kick out of seeing them.

If you're ever up the Orme and fancy something a bit different I recommend the copper mines. Not great if you're claustrophobic I guess, but I found it quite interesting when I took the boys a few years ago. Gets Black Redstarts in winter. Also, did you go round Marine Drive? Can be quite good fun.
No didn't get round to that, the whole visit was a spur of the moment job!! Will have to do it properly on our next visit.

Today's post is our visit to RSPB Ynys Hir, The Dyfi Osprey Project and Bwlch Nant yr Arian Red Kite feeding station. Despite the dreary weather the birds were fairly cooperative. No Wood Warblers at Ynys Hir this year, which was a big downer, always a joy listening to them in the Woodland with the slope allowing for eye level views. The staff said they hadn't had any this year! We had a few later in the week further north, hope this is a temporary blip and they return soon. Plenty of other birds around notably Pied Flycatchers, Grasshopper Warblers and warring Pheasants! The Osprey center was interesting, haven't been for a few years and the changes are pretty impressive, interesting to see the Beaver enclosure as well
The Red Kite viewing is an impressive spectacle, although doesn't feel very natural, not sure of the effect on the local wildlife of having such a concentration of Kites in a relatively small area, the Goosanders taking full advantage of dropped food on the lake gave good views as well.
Plenty more pictures, unsurprisingly quite a few Red Kite pics!! on the blog at the link

Week in Wales Pt 3

559A5356.JPG
559A6996.JPG

One of my favourite places, World's End. Back end of the day can also work for Black Grouse at the lek site. Your moth is a male Common Heath.
Yeah it's a lovely place, road up there is a bit of a challenge, especially with the mad drivers coming the other way!! Had a couple where had I'd been doing the same speed as them, would of been nasty!! Was one car in the hedge where they didnt make a corner!! Thanks for the info on the moth!

Final part of the story of our week in Wales, with good weather the Scenery steals the show, however managed some birds as well , with a showy Dipper and an equally posy Common Redstart the highlights! We also found some sunbathing Lizards, which I think were all Common Lizards although one was considerably bigger than the rest, would it be female and male, or an age thing? Pics on the blog.
Was a very good trip all in all, only disappointment was the lack of a Black Grouse and to be honest this was totally our own fault for not getting up early, but some good sightings, enjoyed the Pied Flycatchers at Ynys Hir and the Red Kite frenzy up the road, South Stack was as good as ever despite the crowds and discovering the Great Orme was also a bonus!! No doubt will be back soon for more!! More pics and the final report on the Blog at the link!

559A8535.JPG
P1030248.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back