• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Harvestman with egg ball (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Caught this chap in my bedroom in the UK and noticed that he/she is carrying an egg ball, why?

I assumed they'd just lay eggs somewhere and it isn't it a bit late for them be to laying eggs now?

A

Attachments

• rsz_pa010031.jpg
    rsz_pa010031.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Pholcus lives indoors or in outbuildings (sheds etc) so is not normally vulnerable to birds. (What happens further South than the UK - is it a cave/crevice dweller? Not sure)

Pholcus lives indoors or in outbuildings (sheds etc) so is not normally vulnerable to birds. (What happens further South than the UK - is it a cave/crevice dweller? Not sure)
I believe one of the English common names is Cave Spider, so presumably yes.

They seem to like the corners of my bathroom ceiling, where they hold on to their egg balls until they hatch into spiderlings which disperse quickly. There only ever seems to be one egg bearer (female?) in the room at any one time, so presumably territorial.

Despite having mild arachnophobia, I tend to apply my grandmother's saying: "If you want to live and thrive, let a spider run alive". This is obviously true, as they are predators that are generally harmless to humans in the UK. They certainly seem to keep the cockroaches down (as I've never had any ;)).

Edit: the odd thing is that they always seem to appear in my bathroom, which is deeply buried in the middle of our building with no exterior window, just an extractor fan, through which they presumably enter from the roof space as it turns chilly in autumn - should be due any day now, like that Black-throated Blue Warbler on Scilly.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back