• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello I’m posting about a robin (1 Viewer)

jojobre

United Kingdom
Hello im Joanne I’m new to the group I’m asking about a Robin, could any please explain why I robin would make a nest next to my door on a outdoor shelf lay it’s eggs they hatch I try to keep away by only looking once I can see her going to feed them but all of a sudden I don’t see her anymore so I waited the next day no bird I looked over to the nest the baby’s were there when I got home they were dead, nothing had been in the nest she must had abandon them, poor things 3 dead babies I’m gutted

Hi, welcome to the forum on behalf of the staff and moderators. It does sound like something may have happened to the mother.

Welcome aboard Joanne and I'm sorry for your experience. Perhaps the adult Robin was grabbed by a Bird of Prey and the fledglings died by not being fed.

Welcome aboard Joanne and I'm sorry for your experience. Perhaps the adult Robin was grabbed by a Bird of Prey and the fledglings died by not being fed.
Thankyou for your reply, I just wish I had known in plenty of time to would have taking them somewhere like a wildlife place, so someone could feed them I shouldn’t beat myself uo just gutted for the babies, I’ve had to bury them in my garden,
Thankyou

I'm sorry about the loss of the babies! Heartbreaking. Nature is unfortunately ruthless at times. There wasn't anything you could do, you never would have expected this to happen.

This year and last year, I found very rushed, shoddy nests with Cardinal eggs in them. It looked like the birds didn't have enough to build a proper nest for some reason. The eggs fell right through the first nest to the ground. They tended the eggs in the 2nd one for a couple days and then abandoned them. Not sure why but I felt sorry for them, it must have been traumatic for the parent birds.

I'm sorry about the loss of the babies! Heartbreaking. Nature is unfortunately ruthless at times. There wasn't anything you could do, you never would have expected this to happen.

This year and last year, I found very rushed, shoddy nests with Cardinal eggs in them. It looked like the birds didn't have enough to build a proper nest for some reason. The eggs fell right through the first nest to the ground. They tended the eggs in the 2nd one for a couple days and then abandoned them. Not sure why but I felt sorry for them, it must have been traumatic for the parent birds.
It’s awful isn’t it, poor things,
I’m still wondering why the robin left, I love birds n feed them Daily

Hi Joanne and a warm welcome from me too. It's so sad to hear that this nesting attempt failed; unfortunately it's almost impossible to explain what may have happened to the female - many things are possible from predation by a Sparrowhawk or cat; maybe hit by a car or simply have died of a disease.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I hope to hear about all the birds you see when out and about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back