• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon 4500 red or blue? (1 Viewer)

Gwynne

I'm looking to buy the Nikon Coolpix 4500 and noticed that there are some for sale at Ebay for around £100 cheaper than I can find anywhere else. The problem is that the camera has a blue flash down the front rather than the red I have seen elsewhere. Is the spec the same, is it just an older format and is it worth buying?
regards Gwynne

I think it's to do with the area they're sold in. USA models are one colour and the European ones are another. Just had a look at my 995, purchased in UK, and it's red.

Blue (or purple as it looks to my eyes) is used by Nikons in N. America .... so beware, as Nikon UK won't be too keen to service the camera if it's a grey import. Also be wary when leaving the country with it, the customs guys may be curious about it when you return.
Battery charger (if included) will be U.S. spec.
There's also the possibility of you having to pay a big import tax when/if it comes into this country from the U.S.... you may get away with it, you may not (wise to keep about %20 of total cost ready if the worst happens).
Andy

Diane(my mentor) and Andy thanks for the prompt advise. I had a funny feeling it wasn't as clear cut as I'd have liked. I think I would rather play safe and pay the extra to make sure that I don't come unstuck in the future! Because if something is likely to go wrong it usually does with me!
Thanks again
regards Gwynne

Thanks for that Chris
I bought my Nikon 4500 about a month ago and played safe and went for the one with the red flash on the front. Still trying to get my head round all the operating functions.
Thanks again
Gwynne

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back