• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

gulls (5 Viewers)

Ok, how about these three?

Attachments

• fourth.jpg
    fourth.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 101
  • mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 112
  • worn.jpg
    worn.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 108
Hello again ,

Well, the first one could be California Gull, maybe a 3 cycle - judging from the little one sees of the bil pattern and two well developed mirrors in combination with tail markings compared with a Herring in the same age class.

The second one looks like a California Gull as well, but adult. Wing tip pattern fits well with black on outer web of p 7- 10 reaching primary coverts (p10 - 9 - variable in Herring). Those legs are California Gull as well.

Third - hm... Herring...

Nice ones Gentoo!

JanJ

as for the back ends in 218, i'd have them down the same way, just that the tertial and gr. covert pattern of the smith would possibly fit a 1st winter better, maybe those rounded p-tips just look so rounded? anyhow it is remarkable how different the 2 sp are in terms of coverts use - the southern wymani much more used than the northern HG.
and i fear jan is right with the 2nd set too. 2 california gulls and a 1st winter herring with renewed (outer) tail. pic shot in spring?

Last edited:
Lou, thanks for the compliments. I'm still trying to improve on my photography.
Ok, two out of three were correct. The third was also a California Gull.

Attachments

• DSC_0534.jpg
    DSC_0534.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC00956.jpg
    DSC00956.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 122
  • DSC00899.jpg
    DSC00899.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 117
all photos taken this week

Weather was dark and overcast so pics are probably darker than should be - Taken at Seef area in Bahrain

Attachments

• amagull.jpg
    amagull.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 140
  • amagull1.jpg
    amagull1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 123
  • amagull2.jpg
    amagull2.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 120
  • amagull4.jpg
    amagull4.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 115
I am horrible at these eastern gulls but this will be a learning experience for me. Here goes:

1. chachinans or perhaps barabensis.

2, 3 and 4 I think are heuglini

1st bird is difficult. a beautiful bird. first i almost got an armenicus impression with that short stubby bill and roundish head, a 3rd winter type. but gonys isn't pronounced and i think bill colour would be unusual - all dark tipped at this age in armenicus usually.
so it leaves you to barabensis/cachinnans indeed. eye doesn't look small like in typical cachinnans & bill is short - but there are too many 'untypical' birds around.- can't really get a clue from the primary pattern.

well, that last california gull: i suspected it would be so, was a bit thrown by that fresh tail and the worn coverts and decided on the pattern of tail which was of course bullshit. worn coverts - is that tendentially so in california versus herring? and those scapulars with a narrow black shaft streak resembling caspian is also better for cal. i guess? i looked through your pics and saw this presumed 1st winter/cycle albertaensis again with a weird single adult like scapular!

Last edited:
Hi Howard.

Nice set of gull images and exiting as usual.

The first one reminds of Yellow-legged Gull (michahellis) a 3rd winter type.
Status of YLG in Bahrain I´m nort sure of.

http://www.pbase.com/dophoto/image/37396691

Second one I think is a Heuglin´s Gull. Thickness of the bill might suggest other than heuglini but maybe angle thickens the bill but some large males presumably have stouter bills.
To the left in 3rd image a heuglini appears again but the plaer grey individual to the right is trickier. With a bill and head shape it could suggest a YLG but I don´t think so on this one and I have to consider it a bit more.

The fourth we have dealt with before.

Cheers.

JanJ

LOU a real guess but going on the small side something like Laughing or Grey-headed Gull

JanJ - on first image I have no idea myself - for young bird in pic three the only other image I have for this is attached taken a few moments befor it landed AS to michahellis I don't think they are supposed to occure in the Gulf and yes the last I did put up before - an oversight on my part sorry for that

Attachments

• amagull5.jpg
    amagull5.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Let's try to ID these wing tips

Attachments

• righty.jpg
    righty.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 118
  • lefty.jpg
    lefty.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 111
  • wingtip.jpg
    wingtip.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 113
  • wingup.jpg
    wingup.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 112
hello

howard's grey mantled gulls from post 227 don't look like YLG to me. michahellis usually is more developed in bare part colour (bill, iris and legs) than these 3rd winters are. have a look at one of daniele's 3rd winter YLGs:
http://www.pbase.com/dophoto/image/91122136
from december (not in alternate plumage but still with pale iris and more adult like bill)
my best guess is barabensis for both of them.

the hind part is not laugher nor grey-headed.

last wings pics out of the guts:
1. ad nominate occidentalis
2. 2nd cycle ringbill
3. pass
4. near adult californicus?
:-C

a hindpart again
post 230

Has third winter/cycle cachinans been suggested? That's some primary projection on that bird! If it's a smaller gull, I might even go with 2nd winter Ring-Billed. Too much black in the wing tips for Black-Headed or Bonaparte's IMO.

1st bird is difficult. a beautiful bird. first i almost got an armenicus impression with that short stubby bill and roundish head, a 3rd winter type. but gonys isn't pronounced and i think bill colour would be unusual - all dark tipped at this age in armenicus usually.
so it leaves you to barabensis/cachinnans indeed. eye doesn't look small like in typical cachinnans & bill is short - but there are too many 'untypical' birds around.- can't really get a clue from the primary pattern.

well, that last california gull: i suspected it would be so, was a bit thrown by that fresh tail and the worn coverts and decided on the pattern of tail which was of course bullshit. worn coverts - is that tendentially so in california versus herring? and those scapulars with a narrow black shaft streak resembling caspian is also better for cal. i guess? i looked through your pics and saw this presumed 1st winter/cycle albertaensis again with a weird single adult like scapular!
Yes it is more so in California than Herring. Worn coverts can appear by November at times. I believe I took that pic on December 14 '06. The albertaensis was a little larger and darker with shorter legs. They seem to be common at that location.

Gentoo.

Nr 1. looks like a Western Gull, perhaps wymani, black subterminal mark on outer web of p4. Mirror on p10 looks broad though.

Nr 2. Ring-billed

Nr 3. Herring Gull

Mr 4. Pale Western

JanJ

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back