• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SLC 8x56 and 10x56 in the U.S. (1 Viewer)

Henry,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I have been on vacation in a place where the sun shines but hardly any birds are seen.

I mostly liked the 10x56 better just because I seem to like 10x better than 8x most of the time. Possibly also because 10x has somewhat flatter field and better edge resolution as well as wider AFOV. Both binoculars are very impressive. Swaro SLC's don't quite have the CA correction of Zeiss FL's, but in most other respects I'd rate their optics higher. I think you'd enjoy seeing them and it's worth the drive if you have the time. It would also be nice to read your impressions if you do get to see them.

Kimmo
Kimmo. Have you ever compared the Swarovski 10x56 SLC to the 10x50 SV? I have heard some people prefer the SV over the SLC.

8x56 binos are very common among German hunters because hunting by nighttime is legal on predators and European Wild Boar (sus scrofa).

The bread and butter pair of binos was and probably still is the Hensoldt/Zeiss 8x56 BGATP and its successors like the FL 8x56.

Interesting to learn that the 8x56/10x56 are probably now conquering the New World.

If you need mor "light" the 8x56/10x56 SLC will be a fine choice over the 8x42/8x56 still with a similar FOV.

Henry,

Sorry for not responding sooner. I have been on vacation in a place where the sun shines but hardly any birds are seen.

I mostly liked the 10x56 better just because I seem to like 10x better than 8x most of the time. Possibly also because 10x has somewhat flatter field and better edge resolution as well as wider AFOV. Both binoculars are very impressive. Swaro SLC's don't quite have the CA correction of Zeiss FL's, but in most other respects I'd rate their optics higher. I think you'd enjoy seeing them and it's worth the drive if you have the time. It would also be nice to read your impressions if you do get to see them.

Kimmo

Thanks, Kimmo

I assume you mean lateral color when you say "CA correction". I could live with that as long as it doesn't start developing too close to the field center. Maybe I'll approach one of my local Swarovski dealers to see if they could get a pair in for evaluation.

Henry

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back