• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Thoughts on a week with the SLC 15x56s (2 Viewers)

Richard D

what was that...
Supporter
United Kingdom
I've owned a pair of SLC 15x56 for just over a week and used them daily apart from one day of woodland birding where my SLC 7x50s were a more obvious choice.

Let's get the bad news out of the way - these are incredibly heavy to carry round the neck even with the very good ladder lock strap. 30 minutes is mildly uncomfortable, two hours bearable but my neck suffered for it for the rest of the day, and I'm used to carrying heavier bins or camera gear. Anyone who can carry these round their neck for a day's birding deserves a medal. If you want a rough idea of the weight - but two glass bottles of beer (330ml /12oz) tape them together (full) and hang round your neck - you'll soon be wanting to empty them.

The big surprise - for me these are perfectly usable handheld for short periods. I've struggled with many a 10x, particularly 10x25's and 10x30s, but the extra weight, thumb grips and overall balance works miracles. They're absolutely fine for shorter views - id checks and observation up to a minute or so within the distance range I'd use a 10x. I wouldn't want to hold them for a very long observation, but in normal use they're fine. Handheld I can't make clear ids much beyond the reach of a 10x - I just get larger fuzzy blobs, but they effectively work as well as 10x but with the bonus of a lens filling view of birds.

I bought the silly priced SLC tripod mount and they're clearly even better on a tripod, allowing more distant ids, although note heat haze can become a limiter (yes even on UK day in April). The tripod mount works extremely well, and with an email to Swarovski asking about purchasing an extra stud for my 7x50s they sent me one free of charge - great service.

Obviously with this magnification they haven't got the widest field of view I think it's 62 degrees apparent or 78m at 1000m but I can't say it caused any real problems in finding birds or following birds in flight. Similarly they're not close focus - I'd estimate a little over 3m in real life rather than the slightly longer spec, but obviously you don't need to get as close to get the same size view. Not a binocular I'd choose for insect watching, but for birdwatching fine, and you can keep a greater distance between you and a flighty subject. For me they worked really well with observing small passerines.

Construction feels bombproof and I like the lightly textured armour - no problems getting a good grip. I've larger hands but with hands roughly in a thumbs up position (but with thumbs angled towards me) I coulld hold the barrels near the objective, have thumbs in the depression and still focus with an index finger. The focusing is typical Swarovski - perfectly smooth, even and precise but with quite long travel from close range to infinity - if you like the less precise faster travel some manufacturers use these might not be for you. I did wonder whether the narrower dof this magnification gives would be an issue, but in practice I found it helped isolate birds in bushes from the bush.

Eye cups are pretty standard - comfortable and hold their position. Eye relief felt good - as a non-glasses wearer I needed the cups extended about half way to prevent kidney beans. A glass wearing friend had no issues. The big objectives mean eye placement is a non-issue and you barely notice the circular edge - it's a very immersive view.

I've no idea what the measured transmission of these is - I'd guess low 90's - the AK prisms certainly deliver a very bright pair of binoculars. I've not tried them at dusk, but the 3.7mm exit pupil was completely adequate even on a very dull and overcast day.

The image is to my eyes perfectly neutral with no colour cast, and contrasty. Sharpness is excellent almost edge to edge, very close to NL levels and with a near flat field. They're effectively CA free - trying hard to induce it I could just detect it on the last 5% viewing a power cable against a near white sky, but otherwise in a week's use I didn't spot any at all - they're as free from false colour as any binoculars I've used. Optically I don't think anyone would have any complaints

Supplied case is good, lift strap is amongst the best straps I've used and proper lugs no pointless fieldpro system!

Final thoughts - yes unbelievably this magnification can be handheld, and these are more stable than many 10x in my hands. Image quality is excellent and they're even better on a tripod - I think my little ED50 is largely retired. I'm seriously tempted to use these where I'd normally use my 10x, but there's no getting around it the weight is an issue. I've got to either swallow my dislike of bino harnesses and go that route (assuming that makes prolonged use comfortable enough) or limit them to very short walks and tripod use.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the SLC 15x56. I have compared the SLC 15x with the EL 12x50 and I could not see more details with the SLC (handheld). Also the EL 12x is lighter and has a wider FoV and for me its handling was better. Of course, using the binos on a tripod is a completely different story.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the SLC 15x56. I have compared the SLC 15x with the EL 12x50 and I could not see more details with the SLC (handheld). Also the EL 12x is lighter and has a wider FoV and for me its handling was better. Of course, using the binos on a tripod is a completely different story.
I considered the 12x50s and they look a very nice binocular, and at 4/5ths the weight of the 15x56 I imagine they're a lot easier on the neck! I've not tried them although I did try a fellow birders 12x42 NLs, and they were truly stunning. Yes the apparent field of view of both the 12x50s and 15x56s is 63 degrees but the 12x50s actual is 5.7 vs 4.5 for the SLCs, the NL Pures somehow manages 71% apparent. My principal aim was to get a binocular for tripod use (I'm not a fan of scopes), I wasn't expecting to like using the 15s handheld so much. Most of my birding is done on open marshland or over pits and floods where 10x can be a little limiting.

I would like a 15x56 for a tripod or monopod use. Unfortunately the eye relief is not as good as for example 8x42 model.
Because I have squinting eyes I cannot experience stereoscopic views. But it's still more comfortable to use binoculars than monoculars.
My new Delta ED50 mini spottingscope is a great option for me. With two Baader Morpheus eyepieces(17,5 and 12,5mm) and Televue Delos 10mm eyepiece I get 9,7x, 13,6x and 17x magnification. And with 76 resp. 72 deg AFOV I have more than 20mm, maybe ~22mm eyerelief. In this respect a telescope with possibiliy to use 1,25 inch astronomical eyepieces is better than binoculars with fixed magnification.

Last edited:
Nice. Congratulations Richard D. Thanks for taking the time to do a nice write up. I’ve owned the SLC 15s for a couple years now, and they are one of my favorite pairs of binoculars ever.
I’ve made a couple threads about my 15s. I can dig them up and link them next time I’m at a desktop if your interested.

Here ya go:
Things have continued to change. But I still have my 15s and still enjoy them very much. I was just thinking about going birding with them later today.

The 15x56 size is a long distance optic and is not made to be handheld. Tripod mounted you can easily view to a mile
away or more, and comfortably for hours.
The Swarovski SLC 15x56 models are at the very top in optics in this size.
So enjoy, 2 eyes are better than one.
Jerry

I've owned a pair of SLC 15x56 for just over a week and used them daily apart from one day of woodland birding where my SLC 7x50s were a more obvious choice.

Let's get the bad news out of the way - these are incredibly heavy to carry round the neck even with the very good ladder lock strap. 30 minutes is mildly uncomfortable, two hours bearable but my neck suffered for it for the rest of the day, and I'm used to carrying heavier bins or camera gear. Anyone who can carry these round their neck for a day's birding deserves a medal. If you want a rough idea of the weight - but two glass bottles of beer (330ml /12oz) tape them together (full) and hang round your neck - you'll soon be wanting to empty them.

The big surprise - for me these are perfectly usable handheld for short periods. I've struggled with many a 10x, particularly 10x25's and 10x30s, but the extra weight, thumb grips and overall balance works miracles. They're absolutely fine for shorter views - id checks and observation up to a minute or so within the distance range I'd use a 10x. I wouldn't want to hold them for a very long observation, but in normal use they're fine. Handheld I can't make clear ids much beyond the reach of a 10x - I just get larger fuzzy blobs, but they effectively work as well as 10x but with the bonus of a lens filling view of birds.

I bought the silly priced SLC tripod mount and they're clearly even better on a tripod, allowing more distant ids, although note heat haze can become a limiter (yes even on UK day in April). The tripod mount works extremely well, and with an email to Swarovski asking about purchasing an extra stud for my 7x50s they sent me one free of charge - great service.

Obviously with this magnification they haven't got the widest field of view I think it's 62 degrees apparent or 78m at 1000m but I can't say it caused any real problems in finding birds or following birds in flight. Similarly they're not close focus - I'd estimate a little over 3m in real life rather than the slightly longer spec, but obviously you don't need to get as close to get the same size view. Not a binocular I'd choose for insect watching, but for birdwatching fine, and you can keep a greater distance between you and a flighty subject. For me they worked really well with observing small passerines.

Construction feels bombproof and I like the lightly textured armour - no problems getting a good grip. I've larger hands but with hands roughly in a thumbs up position (but with thumbs angled towards me) I coulld hold the barrels near the objective, have thumbs in the depression and still focus with an index finger. The focusing is typical Swarovski - perfectly smooth, even and precise but with quite long travel from close range to infinity - if you like the less precise faster travel some manufacturers use these might not be for you. I did wonder whether the narrower dof this magnification gives would be an issue, but in practice I found it helped isolate birds in bushes from the bush.

Eye cups are pretty standard - comfortable and hold their position. Eye relief felt good - as a non-glasses wearer I needed the cups extended about half way to prevent kidney beans. A glass wearing friend had no issues. The big objectives mean eye placement is a non-issue and you barely notice the circular edge - it's a very immersive view.

I've no idea what the measured transmission of these is - I'd guess low 90's - the AK prisms certainly deliver a very bright pair of binoculars. I've not tried them at dusk, but the 3.7mm exit pupil was completely adequate even on a very dull and overcast day.

The image is to my eyes perfectly neutral with no colour cast, and contrasty. Sharpness is excellent almost edge to edge, very close to NL levels and with a near flat field. They're effectively CA free - trying hard to induce it I could just detect it on the last 5% viewing a power cable against a near white sky, but otherwise in a week's use I didn't spot any at all - they're as free from false colour as any binoculars I've used. Optically I don't think anyone would have any complaints

Supplied case is good, lift strap is amongst the best straps I've used and proper lugs no pointless fieldpro system!

Final thoughts - yes unbelievably this magnification can be handheld, and these are more stable than many 10x in my hands. Image quality is excellent and they're even better on a tripod - I think my little ED50 is largely retired. I'm seriously tempted to use these where I'd normally use my 10x, but there's no getting around it the weight is an issue. I've got to either swallow my dislike of bino harnesses and go that route (assuming that makes prolonged use comfortable enough) or limit them to very short walks and tripod use.
"Final thoughts - yes, unbelievably this magnification can be handheld, and these are more stable than many 10x in my hands."

You must have really steady hands. I have a difficult time handholding 10x! Why are they more stable than a 10x because of the weight?

The 15x56 size is a long distance optic and is not made to be handheld. Tripod mounted you can easily view to a mile
away or more, and comfortably for hours.
The Swarovski SLC 15x56 models are at the very top in optics in this size.
So enjoy, 2 eyes are better than one.
Jerry
The thumb indents (which are well placed) suggest that handholding was considered in their design, yes they are better on a tripod and need to be mounted so for long distance use, but for me work surprisingly well at closer ranges handheld.
"Final thoughts - yes, unbelievably this magnification can be handheld, and these are more stable than many 10x in my hands."

You must have really steady hands. I have a difficult time handholding 10x! Why are they more stable than a 10x because of the weight?

I've not got particularly steady hands - I gave up on 10x25s and 10x30s as unusable for me. The huge weight of the 15x56 makes a big difference to stability and presumably the weight balance and thumb holds help. Mass has inertia - you should be able to hold a heavier pair of the same magnification much steadier than a lighter pair for short periods assuming they have the same balance - it's basic physics. Obviously after a while holding a heavier pair causes more fatigue so the mass advantage reduces, but for short observations a heavier pair would be more stable.

I just got a Meopta Cabelas Euro Instinct version of 15x56 and also really enjoy the view. They are second to the Swarovski SLC but I find they are easily handheld for close distances-less than 50 yards. Anything further requires a tripod. Amazing how much detail one can pick up with the larger magnification. Pleasantly surprised.

I've been playing around w/ a new SLC 8x56 just purchased. I needed them more for stationary-low light situations over long distance so i anticipated they'd be bigger/heavier. so far so good as image quality has been fantastic as this week i've seen birds in my golf-course backyard i never knew were there. the 56s shine at dusk/dark wow what a view. its like turning on a light. heavier yes but it pays big dividends at low light.

Last edited:

I commonly carry my binocs like a shoulder belt on a car, so they stay under my right arm. Can still get to them quickly and I can hike faster, less weight on the neck proper.

I commonly carry my binocs like a shoulder belt on a car, so they stay under my right arm. Can still get to them quickly and I can hike faster, less weight on the neck proper.
It does make a difference that way (although I have them tucked under my left) - not quite as quick to access but pretty good. I carried them that way on a walk out to a reserve this morning, swapping to neck when I got there.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back