• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

South African Butterfly ID (1 Viewer)

Sal

I wonder if anyone is able to ID South African butterflies for me? I have only recently started this interest and have only one book - Butterflies of Southern Africa A Field Guide - by Mark Williams. I apologise that the butterflies are not larger. This was as close as I could get without getting out of the vehicle (illegal)

I would also appreciate someone telling me what the naming protocol is? All caps? Hyphens? I've used more or less the same as I use for birds, so would be happy for correction.

All these butterflies were seen in the southern section of Kruger National Park in June 2016. I have tried to ID, so again, please feel free to correct me!

The first pic I thought might be a couple of Brown-veined Whites and a Cupreous Small Blue below them.

Second - a Common Orange Tip?

Third - Common Meadow Blue?

Fourth - I have no idea . . . .

Attachments

• 7584Query Cupreous Small Blue and Brownveined White on bitter tea bush  Kwaggaspan 6 June.jpg
    7584Query Cupreous Small Blue and Brownveined White on bitter tea bush Kwaggaspan 6 June.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 7589 Query Common Orange Tip on bitter tea bush  Kwaggaspan 6 June.jpg
    7589 Query Common Orange Tip on bitter tea bush Kwaggaspan 6 June.jpg
    294.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 7598 Query Common Meadow Blue on bitter tea bush  Kwaggaspan 6 June.jpg
    7598 Query Common Meadow Blue on bitter tea bush Kwaggaspan 6 June.jpg
    334.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 7599 Queries on bitter tea bush  Kwaggaspan 6 June.jpg
    7599 Queries on bitter tea bush Kwaggaspan 6 June.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 23
1 Looks like Brown-veined White Belenois aurota aurota
2 Common Orange-tip Colotis evenina evenina

Not sure the others can be safely done?

A

Last edited:
Just to say Sal that I didn't read your own ID ideas so came to the conclusions alone. I find that if you read an ID suggestion for anything, it definitely corrupts and influences your own thought processes.

A

Yes I can understand that. I wanted to show that I was trying! But your way makes more sense. If I ask for any more, will leave out my guesses.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back