• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Butterfly ID confirmations needed - Düsseldorf and Duisburg [Germany] (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hi,

yesterday one my short birding trip from Düsseldorf to Duisburg I took the time to also look for butterflies. I got the usual super common ones plus a couple firsts for me (even though all of those are quite common too). Since I just started with butterflies all of the following are new to me and I want to make sure I got the IDs right. All pictures were taken yesterday, did not manage to take picture of the underside for most of them, so probably not all of them are identifiable.
Do you agree with my IDs?

First 5 were all taken at a small clearing next to a little stream in a forest in the north of Düsseldorf

First one I think is a Common blue
C195E49E-3CB5-45CC-8156-0021C3E47E37.jpegAE408C3A-BFEA-4D46-9AE8-5CA7C08A837E.jpeg

Second one is a Map butterfly (summer brood)
CAA868A4-41B8-4691-8217-5153F5D3F3EA.jpeg

Third I think is a Meadow brown (Hyponephele lycaon shouldn‘t occur that far west in Germany and I think the Site where I found it was not dry enough)
EF15F2D0-33DC-4236-BF77-76BA7A5C439F.jpeg

fourth is another Common blue
AFB37A4E-E9CA-4926-B4F2-15094A3BFD9D.jpeg

Fifth: Not idea at all. Best guess is a very worn Meadow Brown. But without spots?
83312A57-6DEE-48F7-BBD1-47E05CB1DA0B.jpeg

Last one was taken in kind of a thistle field on the dam at the Rhine in Duisburg. I think it‘s a Thymelicus and not identifiable to species level
F2D56890-B40B-4299-AC6C-5BF989136026.jpeg

Thanks for your help

Agree with #1, #2 & #4, not sure you can differentiate #3 & #5 from the commoner Maniola jurtina and #6 looks like Thymelicus sylvestris.

Shane

Agree with #1, #2 & #4, not sure you can differentiate #3 & #5 from the commoner Maniola jurtina and #6 looks like Thymelicus sylvestris.

Shane
Thanks!

Maybe I didn’t make myself clear (or maybe I mixed up the english names?). I think #3 (and #5) is Maniola jurtina. I ruled out Hyponephele lycaon because of range and habitat.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back