• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Extremadura May 2017 (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
Hi

Can you help confirm/identify the attached please ?

1 ?
2 Savi's warbler site - could this be one ?
3 Short toed eagle ?
4 Booted eagle ?
5 Lesser spotted woodpecker ?

thanks
Tony

Attachments

• Plataforma, Hoyos del Espino, Sierra de Gredos, Spain 5-2017 v_0500 v2.jpg
    Plataforma, Hoyos del Espino, Sierra de Gredos, Spain 5-2017 v_0500 v2.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 239
  • Savi's warbler, Monfrague, Extremadura, Spain 5-2017 v_0314 v2.jpg
    Savi's warbler, Monfrague, Extremadura, Spain 5-2017 v_0314 v2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 222
  • Short-toed eagle, Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain 5-2017 v_0885 v2.jpg
    Short-toed eagle, Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain 5-2017 v_0885 v2.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 212
  • Booted eagle, Monfrague, Extremadura, Spain 5-2017 v_0307 v2.jpg
    Booted eagle, Monfrague, Extremadura, Spain 5-2017 v_0307 v2.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 259
  • Lesser spotted woodpecker, Jaraiz de la Vera, Sierra de Gredos, Spain 5-2017 v_0090 v2.jpg
    Lesser spotted woodpecker, Jaraiz de la Vera, Sierra de Gredos, Spain 5-2017 v_0090 v2.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
6 Black kite
7 Any ideas on the snake ??

Attachments

• Black kite, Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain 5-2017 v_0398.JPG
    Black kite, Trujillo, Extremadura, Spain 5-2017 v_0398.JPG
    106.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Snake, Jaraiz de la Vera, Sierra de Gredos, Spain 5-2017 v_0032 v2.jpg
    Snake, Jaraiz de la Vera, Sierra de Gredos, Spain 5-2017 v_0032 v2.jpg
    388.4 KB · Views: 179
For the warbler, it is really blurred and those little brown jobs are tough... I'm surprised how the breast is white, but I see more a Reed Warbler here than a Savi's. Not sure though.

They really need to split the Black Kite into at least 2-3 species. I would never guess that the Black Kites I saw in East Africa nor the Black Kites in Southeast Asia are the same species as this bird.

They really need to split the Black Kite into at least 2-3 species. I would never guess that the Black Kites I saw in East Africa nor the Black Kites in Southeast Asia are the same species as this bird.

Yellow-billed Kite in Africa is separated from Black Kite since long (Milvus aegyptius). In Asia, Milvus (migrans) linaetus is sometimes split also, but not always. I'm not sure why.

, Yes, sorry, I should clarify, I mean in Clements.

Since James Clements passed away, his list is no longer interesting in my opinion. I use IOC and HBW Alive.

I see Black-eared Kite WAS another species according to several authorities before, including Clements!

https://avibase.bsc-eoc.org/species.jsp?lang=EN&avibaseid=A691B378&sec=summary&ssver=1

I guess they found out that they hybridize too much or they are too close genetically then lumped them.

Honestly, while I agree with you for Yellow-billed Kite and happy it is split, when I see groups of migrans and linaetus in winter (they can be abundant like in India), I've sometimes trouble to identify them.

I think your snake is a young Malpolon monspessulanus (Montpellier snake) The top of the head is already taking the typical shape of the species (and the pigmentation pattern of head scales is wrong for both Natrix). I can't see well the head scales to give more precise ID clues. In a Quercus pyrenaica forest...;-)

I think the snake is Natrix natrix (Grass Snake)

Last edited:
I think your snake is a young Malpolon monspessulanus (Montpellier snake) The top of the head is already taking the typical shape of the species (and the pigmentation pattern of head scales is wrong for both Natrix). I can't see well the head scales to give more precise ID clues. In a Quercus pyrenaica forest...;-)

:t: You're propably right for that snake.

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your help guys.

Is 1 definitely booted ? I know there are dark and light versions but the photo linked here in my Extremadura flickr album I had assumed was booted and the frilly bits at the end of the wings seem much longer than in photo 1 ?
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54189378@N02/35084918740/in/album-72157682318178072/

thanks
Tony

Definitely booted, and it is difficult to compare birds is such different position with different angles of view.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back