• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Boundary Bay, BC, Canada (1 Viewer)

piglet

Hi!
This morning we visited Boundary Bay. This is a great spot as it is a critical rest stop for thousands of birds using the Pacific Flyway migration route. We saw northern (marsh) harriers, red-tailed hawks, a bald eagle, and a sharp-shinned hawk - a rarity there I believe - as was the northern shrike! We also saw red-winged blackbirds, Brewer's blackbirds, brant geese, canada geese, mallards, gadwalls, green-winged teal, shovellers, American wigeon, sanderlings, dunlin, short-billed dowitchers, surf scoters, flickers, house finches, savannah sparrows, kingfishers, herons, cormorants, among others! It is so peaceful there! I can't wait to go back and look out for owls!
Anyone else been here? What did you see?

Hi Piglet,To-day I walked from King George entrance of serpentine fen along the canal to the Pacific Ocean looking for the three American Avocet but no luck. I saw most of your birds and common/hooded mergansers. I sure love those hooded mergansers this time of year. I also saw a few buffleheads and 5 trumpeter swans. By the way ,the sharp- shinned/ cooper hawks can some times be spotted at the fen. Off to the rifel sanctuary sunday, maybe, will see the saw-whet owls again.I know alot of birders have seen them but they are one of my favorite birds.

Hi Oscar. thanks for your reply. I saw your first message too. I am new to birding and new to Canada - so double the fun and confusion when trying to ID birds! I am from the UK so a lot of the birds here are new to me. We went to the reifel sanctuary last week and saw a saw whet owl - I couldn't believe how small it was! We also saw a barred owl, pintails, snow geese, greater scaup, ruddy ducks, hooded merganser, white-crowned sparrows, harriers, hawks, amongst others. Apart from the raptors and the mergansers, I'd never seen any of these birds before. It is a great place!

Yesterday we went to Brackendale, Squamish, and saw the eagles lined up beside the river. There were harbour seals in the river too. It was a real spectacle.

Can you suggest any other hotspots near Vancouver for bird-watching? We've only lived here for a couple of months. We've got some good books though, which have been useful. We've been to, and enjoyed, Burnaby lake, Stanley park, lighthouse park and Cypress mountain (we loved the gray jays!).

Hope you had a good day at Reifel.

piglet said:
Hi Oscar. thanks for your reply. I saw your first message too. I am new to birding and new to Canada - so double the fun and confusion when trying to ID birds! I am from the UK so a lot of the birds here are new to me. We went to the reifel sanctuary last week and saw a saw whet owl - I couldn't believe how small it was! We also saw a barred owl, pintails, snow geese, greater scaup, ruddy ducks, hooded merganser, white-crowned sparrows, harriers, hawks, amongst others. Apart from the raptors and the mergansers, I'd never seen any of these birds before. It is a great place!

Yesterday we went to Brackendale, Squamish, and saw the eagles lined up beside the river. There were harbour seals in the river too. It was a real spectacle.

Can you suggest any other hotspots near Vancouver for bird-watching? We've only lived here for a couple of months. We've got some good books though, which have been useful. We've been to, and enjoyed, Burnaby lake, Stanley park, lighthouse park and Cypress mountain (we loved the gray jays!).

Hope you had a good day at Reifel.
Glad to hear you are enjoying birding here and welcome to Van. Have you gone to blackie spit at White Rock. I like going there quite often.I also enjoy the lagoon at Stanley Park. birdingbc.com is a good web site for info.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back