• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Walk in the Park (1 Viewer)

SueO

I spent a few hours birding at the Huntington Beach Central Park yesterday (Orange County, California). For being in the middle of a very populated area, it's a good place to bird. I admit I've been spoiled as far as birding areas go. I find I don't enjoy birding as much in the noisy areas around me as I do when I get a chance to be in wild areas so I don't go out all that much. Yesterday was sunny and beautiful and I did enjoy myself in spite of the noise and crowds. I could have done without the couple letting their pitbull run free and laughing when it sent a large flock of Canada Geese into the air. I told them they weren't supposed to harass the wildlife and I got a, "It's a dog, that's what they do." I didn't keep a written list of birds, but I think I can come pretty close to listing all I saw.

Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
White-faced Ibis
Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Hooded Merganser
Red-tailed Hawk
American Coots
Long or short-billed Dowitchers
Ring-billed Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Allen's Hummingbird
Nuttall's Woody
Black Phoebe
American Crow
Bushtit
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Common Yellow-throat
Lincoln's Sparrow
American Goldfinch

Attachments

• Looking up..jpg
    Looking up..jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 8
  • hmerg.jpg
    hmerg.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • DSC01793.JPG
    DSC01793.JPG
    159.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I spent a few hours birding at the Huntington Beach Central Park yesterday (Orange County, California). For being in the middle of a very populated area, it's a good place to bird. I admit I've been spoiled as far as birding areas go. I find I don't enjoy birding as much in the noisy areas around me as I do when I get a chance to be in wild areas so I don't go out all that much. Yesterday was sunny and beautiful and I did enjoy myself in spite of the noise and crowds. I could have done without the couple letting their pitbull run free and laughing when it sent a large flock of Canada Geese into the air. I told them they weren't supposed to harass the wildlife and I got a, "It's a dog, that's what they do." I didn't keep a written list of birds, but I think I can come pretty close to listing all I saw.

Pied-billed Grebe
American White Pelican
Double-crested Cormorant
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
White-faced Ibis
Snow Goose
Canada Goose
Mallard
Gadwall
American Wigeon
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Hooded Merganser
Red-tailed Hawk
American Coots
Long or short-billed Dowitchers
Ring-billed Gull
Belted Kingfisher
Allen's Hummingbird
Nuttall's Woody
Black Phoebe
American Crow
Bushtit
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Common Yellow-throat
Lincoln's Sparrow
American Goldfinch
Dog owners the same the world over it seems!!! Nice list of birds seen!

Dog owners the same the world over it seems!!! Nice list of birds seen!
Thankfully, most dog owners around here don't behave like this. There were lots of them out yesterday and they were just out walking their dogs on leashes, poop bags in hand. I think this was more of an, "I'm too special for the rules" situation. I get he wanted to let the dog run free, but there is a dog park across the road from this section of the park. We also have a dog beach. I love watching the dogs go hog wild there, they have so much fun. The couple did leash the dog and leave shortly after our exchange. One time I was at this park, there was a young guy practicing cracking a whip. It was a great long thing that sounded like a gun shot when it cracked. I probably wouldn't be so annoyed at all this activity had I not been so privileged in the past with birding spots.

Thankfully, most dog owners around here don't behave like this.
Wish you had not been disturbed like that, sure can ruin a good walk. We have a new pup now, he has only been outside without a lead a few times, and that in designated spaces. I can’t understand the people who want dogs yet don’t think rules apply to them. On nature trails, preserves and parks a loose dog can ruin the peace for others.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back