• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Annoying Beetle.... (1 Viewer)

DaveAitch

...even more annoying ringflash.

I was woken up at about 12:45 am with sounds of something crashing round the bedroom. Eventually I saw this beetle. I trapped it in a DVD spindle case and took it downstairs to get a photo. "I'll use the Pentax with ringflash, that'll be the best" - or so I thought. The last time I used the combination it worked fine but, just when I needed it most, it malfunctioned. It would flash on P setting at full power or occasionally on 1/4 power but refused to fire, other than on the odd occasion, on AV or manual setting. I did get a few rather poor photos. It was only on reviewing them that I found 1) I hadn't reset the clock to summer time 2) the beetle had an eight legged passenger.

I haven't had chance to look the combination up. If anyone can give me a quick ID (of either or both) that would be great. I presume the beetle is a Common Cockchafer.

Anyway, here are the photos, which are the first and the last I took of the subject. (Those in between are no better, don't show the passenger or are of the spine of books as I tried to get the flash to work properly.

Addendum: third photo added.

Last edited:
It's a Burying Beetle (Nicrophorus humator?). Presumably you've checked under the floorboards for dead bodies recently?

They almost always carry the little orange mites you mention.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, dantheman. I looked up Nicrophorus, and several sources say that the only all black type in Britain is N. humator as you suggest. Now to try to find it again to get a decent photo. No dead bodies, just a few ashes here and there. I presume it was attracted by the bedroom light and open window earlier in the night.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back