• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Waxwings still here (1 Viewer)

eagle golden

Its great still having a flock of 25+ Waxwings
just down the road from our house, they have
been here most of the year.Harrogate.

Attachments

• 2 of a kind resize.JPG
    2 of a kind resize.JPG
    398.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 2 waxwings resize.JPG
    2 waxwings resize.JPG
    356.3 KB · Views: 51
  • pr waxwings resize.JPG
    pr waxwings resize.JPG
    373.4 KB · Views: 47
Most 'invasion' years, there's good numbers till late April, and odd flocks into the first few days of May. Where they breed, the snow doesn't thaw until about mid May so they're in no hurry to leave.

There is still a group of 13 around King St Industrial Estate in Middlewich. Fantastic this year to see so many different flocks.

Interesting info, Nutcracker, I actually logged on to BF tonight to ask this very question; when is the latest that they generally stay around until.

Does anyone know the latest accepted date in spring/summer for a British sighting?

I saw a flock of 40 on 4 May after an invasion winter about 10 years ago. I've no reason to think that's particularly unusual, at least for 'Up North'. No doubt Shetland will have some much later spring records.

Beautiful birds.
I'd love to see one.
I'm only in Stoke so Middlewich might be an option.
When would be the best time to see them?

Hi Peloquin

I've been seeing the flock 4 out 5 days per week for the last few weeks, they've been pretty stationary and favouring certain trees. Today I didn't connect with them so it is quite possible that they have left over the Easter weekend. If they turn up I'll message here.

Sean

Hi Pelonquin

The full flock (19 birds) re-appeared today. So they are still about. They seem to favour a few particular trees in the immediate area outside my unit on the industrial estate in mid to late afternoon. By no means guaranteed though I have really only been keeping an eye out on my fag breaks!

PM me if interested in more details on location and the points where I've had luck in the past etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back