• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird box for a thrush (1 Viewer)

anaconlon

Hi everyone, we moved into our new house last year. In our bedroom there is a balcony that had a nest of thrushes last year. The noise was terrible but we left them alone and all the baby birds survived and flew away. After this we blocked up the whole. Its coming up to march again and I am feeling guilty for taking a nesting spot away. Our house was vacant for many years so this would have been a trusted and well used nesting spot. I want to build an alternative. Like a few nesting boxes. How close would it have to be to the original nesting spot and does anyone have a video link for building a suitable bird box. I am very handy with a nail and hammer.

What you need are dense, ideally evergreen shrubs and bushes - ivy, holly, privet, etc. - as well as lots of damp ground under trees and bushes for feeding.
As said above, thrushes don't use nest boxes.
Mick

Probably like many, I saw this thread, and moved on, thinking someone else would reply!

Do you get House Sparrows? Those boxes should be suitable for sparrows, or Great or Blue Tits ... ensure they aren't facing due south or in partial shade if facing due south, otherwise eg on the side of a shed (checking eg cats won't have straightforward access).

Last edited:
Probably like many, I saw this thread, and moved on, thinking someone else would reply!

Do you get House Sparrows? Those boxes should be suitable for sparrows, or Great or Blue Tits ... ensure they aren't facing due south or in partial shade if facing due south, otherwise eg on the side of a shed (checking eg cats won't have straightforward access).

90% of boxes here in Russia are used by Pied Flycatchers, even close to the City.

A

Hi everyone, we moved into our new house last year. In our bedroom there is a balcony that had a nest of thrushes last year. The noise was terrible but we left them alone and all the baby birds survived and flew away. After this we blocked up the whole.

I was just wondering, are you sure they were thrushes? Nesting in a hole on a house balcony, making a lot of noise, sounds much more like House Sparrow to me!
Apologies in advance if my suggestion causes offence!

90% of boxes here in Russia are used by Pied Flycatchers, even close to the City.
Alas, no Pied Flycatchers breeding in Ireland (and not many in Britain, certainly none in urban areas)
I was just wondering, are you sure they were thrushes? Nesting in a hole on a house balcony, making a lot of noise, sounds much more like House Sparrow to me!
Apologies in advance if my suggestion causes offence!
My immediate thought was Starlings :t:

I can recall seeing an image of an early nesting Song Thrush (several years ago now) in a road traffic light....between the red and amber, if memory serves. :eek!:

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back