• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

News from Leica (2 Viewers)

Specs and US prices are up at EagleOptics now, but no pictures.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/leica/leica-8x42-trinovid-hd-binocular

David

EO shows 414 ft FOV at 1000 yds which is
nice improvement.

But, on Leica's site the old Trinovid
had 126m listed while the Trinovid HD has
124, so this doesn't make sense that the HD
has wider FOV. The old Trinovid specs show 378ft FOV.

Shouldn't the HD be at around 372ft ? Am I missing something here?

Edit: B&H shows 126m fov on their site for the discontinued Trinovid,
so this is baffling.

Last edited:
It will be fine if FOV will be bigger than on Uvid, but I think
that guys just divided 124 bz 0,3, and they do not cared about 1000yd to 1000m adjustment. What I will like, is the old BN with the top fluoride lens. This will be Trinovid Master.

It will be fine if FOV will be bigger than on Uvid, but I think
that guys just divided 124 bz 0,3, and they do not cared about 1000yd to 1000m adjustment. What I will like, is the old BN with the top fluoride lens. This will be Trinovid Master.

So, the 414ft fov is not accurate...it's around 372ft (?) and just a little less than the previous version (378ft). Would have been nice to have 400ft + FOV though.

I called EO and let them know the FOV in their specs look off.

Last edited:
Here the specs in m / 1000m (before any conversion mistakes):

Trinovid (current version): 126 m - 8x42 / 108 m -10x42
Trinovid HD (new version): 124 m - 8x42 / 113 m - 10x42

are these trinovids HD lower in the product range of leica and are the ultravids Hd plus still the better one with better build and image ?

Here the specs in m / 1000m (before any conversion mistakes):

Trinovid (current version): 126 m - 8x42 / 108 m -10x42
Trinovid HD (new version): 124 m - 8x42 / 113 m - 10x42

They may have just decided to use a narrower field stop. Slightly narrower field, slightly longer eye relief.

Bob's observations about the ultravid's length and weight are interesting. Maybe what we have here is the basic ultravid body (with the simplified diopter) with the same trinovid optics. It's still a pretty good deal at around $1000.

I'm curious if there has been any change in glass type to justify the HD designation. Some users complained about CA in the just-discontinued version.

Personally, I hope that they now expand the trinovid line outside of the 42mm configurations. I'd be very interested in an 8x32.

The bag is a joke. Had a look at it today, and I don't want to be seen dead wearing one of those contraptions around my neck.

Other than that the new Trinovid seems very nice. Lightweight, good optics, very smooth focuser. Obviously much simpler to make because the dioptre adjustment at the right eyepiece. Body is apparently magnesium, it's made in Portugal in the new Leica factory.

Hermann

The bag is a joke. Had a look at it today, and I don't want to be seen dead wearing one of those contraptions around my neck.

Other than that the new Trinovid seems very nice. Lightweight, good optics, very smooth focuser. Obviously much simpler to make because the dioptre adjustment at the right eyepiece. Body is apparently magnesium, it's made in Portugal in the new Leica factory.

Hermann

The bag looks terrible. If I were to buy the bin I would just get a case from Leica direct.

Could you comment a little more on the optics? ... or did you not have enough time with them?

That carrier/cover thing is absurd. Are they trying to remind young parents of baby carriers? It doesn't appear to offer significant rain protection. If the idea is to hold the optics close to the chest during rough going, I would wear a harness. It looks hot, bulky, and laughable, incompatible with a camera, and plain silly, and people should ask for a rebate option in exchange for a regular strap.

Edgar: Now there's something you don't see every day, Chauncey.
Chauncey: What's that, Edgar?
Edgar: An alpha maker lowering their price.
Chauncey: Let's celebrate. Sherry?
Edgar: Indeed!

Kudos to Leica for coming closer to earth by lowering the price of its second-tier line from $1,599 to $949. :clap:

Someone mentioned Swaro lowering the price of the redesigned SLC. At $1,799, the SLC is still not competing with the $1,000 second-tier segment. Swaro's sole offering in that segment is the CL Companion line, which has no 42mm model.

The redesign improved the ergonomics of the Trinny. Removing that bulky dual focuser/diopter monstrosity enabled Leica to move the focuser higher and leave more room for your fingers around the ends of the barrels. They also reduced the thickness of the eyecups. Two pluses in my book (available early next year in Bantam paperback).

I feel bad for Annabeth, who thought she got a bargain when she bought a demo 8x42 Trinny for $1,200. Now she could get Trinny with ED glass for $250 less than her demo. Good to see prices trending in the right direction for a change. Lesson for other sports optics makers: Keep it simple.

Brock

Brock,

I like the present thickness of the eye cups on my leather covered Leica 8x42 Ultravid "Blackline" and its integrated focus wheel/diopter control has never given me trouble nor have I heard of it causing trouble. In fact I hardly ever have to fine tune the diopter for my eyes.

The length and weight of Leica's new Trinovid is almost the same as that of the "Blackline" making it one of the lightest and most compact 8x42s on the market. Its FOV is about 15ft@1000yds smaller than the Ultravid. And it doesn't have a fancy leather cover.

Not a bad deal for 800 bucks less.:t:

Bob

Last edited:
I disagree: I thought the Trinovid was more interesting and desirable constructed and priced at a somewhat higher level, roughly comparable to the SLC. That $1k range is getting pretty busy, and I'm surprised Leica wants to be there.

I also prefer the focusing wheel where it was, and the large size of the combined focus/diopter allowed for some variation in grip position. A smaller knob higher up may be cheaper, but is not an improvement. Nor do I prefer thinner eyecups. I consider all these changes merely cost-cutting.

As for the outgoing model not having had ED glass, I suppose you mean HD (Leicaspeak for FL?). I believe even the old BA/BN Trinovids of the 1990s had ED glass, and am quite sure this latest one also did. I don't think FL matters much to people who aren't especially sensitive to CA.

Perhaps the crazy harness is there so no one thinks to complain about the binocular?

The bag looks terrible. If I were to buy the bin I would just get a case from Leica direct.

Could you comment a little more on the optics? ... or did you not have enough time with them?

Commenting on the optics is difficult. I only used the bin at Leica's stand at a trade fair, and I find it virtually impossible to get a clear idea what the optics are like in such surroundings. The Leica guy said the optics were similar to those of the "old" Trinovid, and I have no reason not to believe him. The Trinovid isn't in the shops yet, it's due to come out in a couple of weeks time.

Hermann

The redesign improved the ergonomics of the Trinny. Removing that bulky dual focuser/diopter monstrosity enabled Leica to move the focuser higher and leave more room for your fingers around the ends of the barrels.

They improved the ergonomics? Maybe, but the ergonomics of the older version were pretty good already. Not sure though that the diopter/focuser unit is better than the old one, I can see a number of reasons to prefer the old focuser.

Hermann

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back