• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Golden Eagles are they the best bird in the world? (1 Viewer)

mcepjg

Peter
Comments please. I think they are. Only seen one once but it was the best bird I have ever seen. They are so basic yet majestic and powerful I can see why the kings all wanted them. Falcons are fast and efficient but Golden Eagles are Spectacular

they are indeed special birds, when it's just you and the eagles in some remote part of the country, you do tend to feel like you are in the company of the 'king' of raptors!

Having just returned from Scotland and witnessed the sheer power of these awsome predators they are something very special, but so too were the White-tailed Eagles.

Golden Eagles are very dear to my heart. When I was learning to skydive, on my 2nd jump, just after I pulled my canopy open (about 5,000 ft. altitude), I was just enjoying the ride when I saw a Golden Eagle soaring not too far away. It made a couple of large lazy circles around me, probably wondering what kind of bird I was with a single square wing, and then glided off. I wasn't even an official birder back then, but it was one of the most special bird moments of my life.

Sadly I have never seen a Golden Eagle in the wild so can't comment on what must be a wonderful bird.

I love all raptors & at the moment the Red Kite is my favourite. Having visited Mid-Wales recently I saw these magnificent birds soaring on the thermols in the Elan Valley, what a fantastic sight.

I saw my first wild Golden Eagle earlier this year for only 4 seconds as it flew low over us before disappearing over a ledge. A magnificent bird for sure. These past two weekends we have gone to an "Eagle Watch" in nearby Kananaskis where often hundreds pass through on migration everyday this time of year. We saw 70 one day and 30 the next time. They're beautiful to watch as they soar along the snow capped mountain ridges without a flap of their wings.

do you know the book
The Golden Eagle (Poyser) by Jeff Watson ?

highly recommended for anyone interested in Golden Eagles.

I too love them and try to watch them as often as possible
in the Bavarian Alps.

Markus

Mike Tomkies

Markus Jais said:
do you know the book
The Golden Eagle (Poyser) by Jeff Watson ?

highly recommended for anyone interested in Golden Eagles.

I too love them and try to watch them as often as possible
in the Bavarian Alps.

For special Golden Eagle experiences in the remote Scottish Highlands,try and get your hands on any books by author Mike Tomkies.Without doubt,the finest winter evening reading you can get.The man was remarkable.

Seton Gordon

With all due respect to Mike Tomkies (a brilliant author) I forgot to mention the fantastic Golden Eagle books by Seton Gordon.All the more remarkable,as he was in my opinion the first expert on the species.His books are hard to come by but make for fantastic reading should anyone get their hands on one.I believe one was re-printed not too long ago and may be available.This man was a one off and years ahead of his time.

i saw my first and only goldie in the wild back in 1982. i disturbed the bird scavening carrion and it took off flew a few hundred yards away from me then turned and flew back overhead passing directly above me. At the time it seemed to be only feet above my head but im sure now it must have been higher. Truly a sight to remember. Yes the goldie is a king amonst birds.
Regards
Barry

hello

I do not agree that they are the king of birds if there was a king i would say its the harpy hands down :p BUT I DO AGREE that they are extremly impressive birds !! AND GET MY RESPECT 100%. I have national geographic footage of a golen eagle fighting with a hungry adult coyote over a dead animal. After an exciting battle the coyote gave up and took off leaving the eagle in peace to eat the carcass by himself. (EVEN THO THERE WAS ENOUGH MEAT FOR BOTH OF THEM!~ I guess animals sometimes just cant learn to share. BUt I really cant think of many birds out there that would have the power to drive away a coyote (considering this coyote was also 35 pounds and im sure the eagle was only about 12 or 13 pounds. The only eagle I have seen do more impressive things is the harpy.

I would also like to add that the golden eagle is also the ONLY BIRD I have ever heard of that has actually been known to actually KILL eagle owls. BUt Their actually is another bird known as the asian black vulture that seems to be able to chase off and dominate golden eagles at a kill. WHich is very suprising since golden eagles have more powerful talons! I guess these vultures must be amazingly powerful themselves to be able to drive the king away from a kill!

I have to second the comments about Tomkies and Gordon and the books they have produced. They were amazing men, especially Tomkies and the life in the wilds that he led for 20 years studying Golden Eagles and other wildlife.

Yes, both eagle species in Scotland are magnificent but then so are Firecrests and Goldcrests of this world. If the Blue Tit was rare, that would create major oohs and aahs by virtue of it colours. In fact, in my opinion, all of the natural world is magnificent. :t:

Mike Tomkies

London Birder/Ben Nevis/Colin

You're almost talking about MT in the past tense....... Is he still around do you know? I've been a Mike Tomkies groupie for years. Heard that one of his earlier books was going to be re-issued with a few additions but don't know where I heard it. His books really prompted me to explore Scotland. I remember once asking him where the best place to see a golden eagle was (such innocence! As if he'd tell me exactly!) But he gave me an idea of the general area. Didn't see one though until some time later - that was from Glenelg whilst waiting for the ferry and it was very high up).

I discovered where the cottage was that he lived in (after he'd moved from the island) with a map in front of me, reading his descriptions.

Sandra

I've seen quite a few Golden Eagles in my life, but I think the most amazing eagle is the Bald Eagle. No they don't hunt large prey, but they are still amazing animals.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back