• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Hawk Owl Killed... (1 Viewer)

Mitchelle

...to stop people from coming to take pictures of it.

After Attracting Birders, Rare Hawk Owl Killed Near Okanogan
by Rich Landers
January 16, 2016

Other birders who had brought the bird to his attention had mentioned to him that the property owner did not want anyone taking photos of anything on his property.

[…]

The Schrevens were among the steady stream of birders that visited the area. They saw the bird alive about 12:30 p.m. on Jan. 9. A Man came out of a home along the road and appeared to be writing down their license number as they drove away, Sandy Schreven said.

[…]

A blue pickup was in the road as they drove past and the man appeared to be writing down their license plate number, she said.

While they were having lunch by the river a half mile away, Herman Schreven said he heard a gunshot, but he didn’t think much of it.

When the couple returned to the site about 2 p.m., they found the bird hanging dead from a tree,
http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2016/jan/16/after-attracting-birders-rare-hawk-owl-killed-near/

A Rare Owl Turned Up Dead—Are Birders To Blame?
by Becca Cudmore
January 22, 2016

But as the visitors gathered throughout the week—some even checking in from Oregon—a nearby resident grew increasingly annoyed, telling them that scopes and binoculars were “okay,” but that they couldn't take photos of his property. On January 9, birders noticed that the neighbor had posted a sign: “No photos allowed.” Later that day, the owl was photographed hanging dead by one foot from a tree branch. Presumably, it had been shot. The case is currently under investigation by the Colville Native American Tribe, which owns the land.
https://www.audubon.org/news/a-rare-owl-turned-dead-are-birders-blame

If birders are ignoring requests from the property owners then there is some blame to be laid at their door.

However, the bird should not have to pay the price for the lack of a willingness to communicate.

From what information I can gather so far, no blame whatsoever should be ascribed to the birders here. People have a right to privacy in their homes, and a right to expect people not to trespass on their land; but neither of these were transgressed in this case.

People do not own the photons bouncing off their property - they cannot ban someone from seeing something that is in view from a public road. To think otherwise involves either an overdeveloped sense of entitlement (my land is special) or genuine paranoia.

P.S. Gotta love the irony - on the Spokesman-Review's website, the first banner add that came up for me was for an upcoming gun show...

From what information I can gather so far, no blame whatsoever should be ascribed to the birders here. People have a right to privacy in their homes, and a right to expect people not to trespass on their land; but neither of these were transgressed in this case.

People do not own the photons bouncing off their property - they cannot ban someone from seeing something that is in view from a public road. To think otherwise involves either an overdeveloped sense of entitlement (my land is special) or genuine paranoia.

P.S. Gotta love the irony - on the Spokesman-Review's website, the first banner add that came up for me was for an upcoming gun show...

I disagree I'm afraid - if I asked someone to stop taking photographs of something on my property then regardless of 'ownership' I'd expect that request to be respected.

I disagree I'm afraid - if I asked someone to stop taking photographs of something on my property then regardless of 'ownership' I'd expect that request to be respected.

But would you kill a bird because you were pissed off with some people? I think that's the central question here.

But would you kill a bird because you were pissed off with some people? I think that's the central question here.

Oh absolutely not, there has been a total breakdown of communication here and to think that killing the bird is a rational and appropriate response is outrageous.

Would Hawk Owl not be a ''protected species'' in the US....or does it differ between states?

Cheers

Would Hawk Owl not be a ''protected species'' in the US....or does it differ between states?

Cheers

According to an Audubon blog post, it is indeed a protected species. The blog post was called "Hawk Owl killed - are birders to blame?" or something similar, which seems like a really stupid question to me, for the reasons Peter has pointed out above. Surely a law has been broken here?

There is the law of two wrongs not making a right! Morally, if not legally, birders overlooking someones garden have 'forced' the owner to shoot the bird. At the same time these birders may not have been aware that the property owner was already upset with strangers invading his space.
America being what it is he shot it!
Had the birders not been there, presumably on a regular basis, this bird could well have been ignored by the property owner - shooting it solves his problem.
Oh the land of the free and thank god there isn't a gun problem there...

According to an Audubon blog post, it is indeed a protected species. The blog post was called "Hawk Owl killed - are birders to blame?" or something similar, which seems like a really stupid question to me, for the reasons Peter has pointed out above. Surely a law has been broken here?

Presumably the Audobon Society has an "obligation" to respond to this very "public" killing of a protected species, in the same way as the RSPB would, if this same action and circumstances were to prevail within the UK?

Sorry, cannot support that so easily; you might have a good reason for saying "no photos" and I would listen to your argument but we generally do not have the right to ban photography - on public land. In fact, we have a problem in this country with "terrorism and security" being used to block perfectly reasonable photography.

Of course, each case needs examined on its merits; one man's freedom of action is another man's invasion of privacy.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back