• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Are these Red Tailed Hawk feathers? (1 Viewer)

edteach

United States
A friend of mine saw a dead Hawk on the road. He took them to his house to photograph them. He put them back but wanted to know what the bird was. He said it had a hawks head, mangled a bit from a car strike but a hawk. The only ones I could find that are like these are is the Red Tailed Hawk. Sad thing in my area of Arkansas is we see so many Hawks and Owls killed by car/ traffic. I have had hawks dive right across the road lane. I don't know if there is anything that could be done to help stop this but it would be nice if there was. I told my buddy that the tail feathers were not red but I can not find any other Hawk native to Arkansas/Missouri that match perfectly. DSC08324.JPG

Central bunch seems to be tail-feathers, and the pattern (wide dark bars) is wrong for red-tailed hawk and better for red-shouldered hawk.

You know I saw that on line. That was my other choice. There seems to be 8 to 9 species of hawk that live in Arkansas/Missouri and these two were the only ones that some what matched but the tail feathers are brown here and not red. thanks.

A friend of mine saw a dead Hawk on the road. He took them to his house to photograph them. He put them back but wanted to know what the bird was. He said it had a hawks head, mangled a bit from a car strike but a hawk. The only ones I could find that are like these are is the Red Tailed Hawk. Sad thing in my area of Arkansas is we see so many Hawks and Owls killed by car/ traffic. I have had hawks dive right across the road lane. I don't know if there is anything that could be done to help stop this but it would be nice if there was. I told my buddy that the tail feathers were not red but I can not find any other Hawk native to Arkansas/Missouri that match perfectly. View attachment 1488320
Wow those are some beautiful feathers 😍

I know, I told him to return them to the forest or simailar place. You can not have or dispaly them so they are of no value to have. A shame but I get it. Idiot people would kill the birds and say they found them dead. I would rather it be the way it is than have people killing these wonderful creatures We have so many hawks and owl's around here. I can drive to Joplin Mo and see 20 or 30 hawks sitting in trees by the expressway. I need to get a really good telephoto lens for my Nikon and try for some great pictures.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back