• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Biking Birder 2015 - A cycle ride to every RSPB and WWT reserve. (2 Viewers)

It is so sad to cycle day after day and see so few birds along the way. Nature reserves are oases amongst an agricultural desert. Today's cycling the side roads highlights were occasional groups of red-kegged partridges, a fly over red kite, two (!) mistle thrushes with three redwings and a flock of around 30 stock doves. Otherwise zilch. Boxed hedgerows and vacuum cleaned wheat fields. No birds.:-C

Cycling north through Hampshire today Gary added Red-legged Partridge (#165), Red Kite (#166) and then Water Pipit (#167) at the watercress beds in Old Alresford.

It is so sad to cycle day after day and see so few birds along the way. Nature reserves are oases amongst an agricultural desert. Today's cycling the side roads highlights were occasional groups of red-kegged partridges, a fly over red kite, two (!) mistle thrushes with three redwings and a flock of around 30 stock doves. Otherwise zilch. Boxed hedgerows and vacuum cleaned wheat fields. No birds.:-C

So depressing, but so true :C

After the best part of a week off for catching up with family and bike repairs, Gary is now in west London where he had a plastic fantastic day adding Mandarin Duck (#168) and Ring-necked Parakeet (#169). Now follows a few days of hard cycling to get to North Norfolk ahead of the weekend before all the wintering birds disappear.

A couple of days of hard cycling has brought Gary to Whittlesey in Cambridgeshire with a view to trying for the Rough-legged Buzzard in the Thorney area tomorrow morning before moving on to Norfolk. He has added Yellowhammer (#170) along the way today.

Today was spent already the Eldernell and Thorney area where Gary dipped on Bean Goose and Rough-legged Buzzard but did add Common Crane (#171) and Whooper Swan (#172). Into Norfolk tomorrow.

A rather frustrating last 48 hours in Norfolk for Gary, dipped on Golden Pheasant at Wolfreton, Shorelarks at Burnham Overy Dunes and Corn Bunting / Rough-legged Buzzard at Chooseley. Added to the list are Grey Partridge (#173) and Pink-footed Goose (#174).

A rather frustrating last 48 hours in Norfolk for Gary, dipped on Golden Pheasant at Wolfreton, Shorelarks at Burnham Overy Dunes and Corn Bunting / Rough-legged Buzzard at Chooseley. Added to the list are Grey Partridge (#173) and Pink-footed Goose (#174).

This is perhaps going to sound preachy, but if Gary really wants this record, given that he "only" needs another 126 birds he is going to have to stop concentrating on cycling all over the place and start biting the bullet that if a bird takes two or three days, then the effort has to be put in until he has nailed it. In context, getting Grey Partridge and Pinkfoot while missing three key targets is meaningless. A dip on Golden Pheasant means being back there that evening and back there the next morning etc.

I might also question the route being taken because leaving the South coast at the New Forest to cycle across what he described as a bird-free zone instead of continuing into Sussex where Corn Bunting and Grey Partridge could have easily been knocked off at The Burgh before heading up to family around NE Hampshire over about the same distance, seems very odd.

Could we see the overall forward plan to give it some BF pontification? It seems to me that there is very little doubt that the amount of knowledge on here far exceeds that which Gary is making use of. It might also enable locals to have a sensible amount of time to think of helpful sites, instead of last-minute emails and texts when one is doing something else.

Perhaps a D-Day Invasion level of planning is against the British tradition of amateurism, but personally I prefer a successful blitzkrieg to a Captain Scott disaster.

Anyway, the very best of luck to Gary and any help I can give is always at his disposal.

John

This is perhaps going to sound preachy, but if Gary really wants this record, given that he "only" needs another 126 birds he is going to have to stop concentrating on cycling all over the place and start biting the bullet that if a bird takes two or three days, then the effort has to be put in until he has nailed it. In context, getting Grey Partridge and Pinkfoot while missing three key targets is meaningless. A dip on Golden Pheasant means being back there that evening and back there the next morning etc.

I might also question the route being taken because leaving the South coast at the New Forest to cycle across what he described as a bird-free zone instead of continuing into Sussex where Corn Bunting and Grey Partridge could have easily been knocked off at The Burgh before heading up to family around NE Hampshire over about the same distance, seems very odd.

Could we see the overall forward plan to give it some BF pontification? It seems to me that there is very little doubt that the amount of knowledge on here far exceeds that which Gary is making use of. It might also enable locals to have a sensible amount of time to think of helpful sites, instead of last-minute emails and texts when one is doing something else.

Perhaps a D-Day Invasion level of planning is against the British tradition of amateurism, but personally I prefer a successful blitzkrieg to a Captain Scott disaster.

Anyway, the very best of luck to Gary and any help I can give is always at his disposal.

John

Hi John,

I will do my best to tell you of the route plan. Fully concur with your feelings about the misses but I needed to get to Norfolk asap. As for the golden pheasant, unless it becomes a piece of roadkill it should be there, or another in Norfolk, when i return to East Anglia for the 13 or so specialities available there in May. Concerning this I just hope that this May has more easterlies than last year. for commitment to other specialities I am pleased that persistance paid off with the Choseley Rough-legged buzzard.
As

So the route....

March - north along the east coast as far north as necessary to get the available birds. In the next two days I will reach Flamborough (presently at Boston, Lincs) for hopefully Richard's pipit and then onto Filey for the surf scoter.
Red and black grouse are targets, as well as common birds and early migrants.

April - once the talk at the RSPB AGM is concluded then it is back to east Anglia.

May - East Anglia and surrounding counties - wherever a rarity required turns up I am prepared to put the mileage in to get it. (average so far this month is 34 miles a day) Lengthening daylight hours will allow that to increase.

June-July - east or south coasts and rarities between the two. If for instance a white-winged black turns (sorry) up in say a more central county then I may go for that. I intend to be very flexible over this.

August. - after a commitment to Countryfile at Blenheim Palace I will be cycling as fast as possible to any bird along the east coast north of Lincs in order to get to Aberdeen for the ferry to Shetland/Fair Isle before the end of the month.

September/October - Shetland & Fair isle (Orkney if a bird of quality turns up

November - December Wherever birds I need are available I will get there. Last year december involved getting to the phalaropes at Oxford, a hoopoe in Staffs after shorelarks and RLB in Norfolk.

When I get the chance i will publish the monthly total targets and target species.

Thanks for your comments John. Very motivational. BCNU

Last edited:
Today the list stands at 181. Tree sparrow added at Frampton after a tough day cycling into the fresh NE wind from Kings Lynn.
Tomorrow the aim is to get as far north as possible for the richards and the surf.
The year list is 23 birds ahead of where I was this time last year. 4 birds I didn't see last year are included and a good number of rarities that i did see last year as well.

New ones : hudsonian whimbrel, glaucous gull, greater yellowlegs and dusky warbler.

The list is actually where I was on the 12th of April last year. Obviously though i would like to catch up with more birds that I didn't see last yeas as well as rarities I did.

There is also the thought that there were a few 'common' birds that I may get this year because of not visiting every RSPB/WWT nature reserve this year; such as pectoral sandpiper and black tern.

I will also be visiting the Spey Valley to collect crested tit, ptarmigan, as well as somewhere to get the two eagles.

It is a strange year without a set reserve visiting itinerary but the amount of extra time afforded by not visiting them should pay dividends.

Here I will conclude by sending a massive thank you to everyone who comments here, who comments or messages on my facebook page - Biking Birder 2016 - The Quest for 300 and especially to Phil Andrews. His texts and phone calls are critical to my progress and when the record is broken then a lot of credit will be down to his help.

Thanks everyone,

Thoughts very welcome.

Gary

https://www.facebook.com/bikingbirder2015/

http://bikingbirder2016.blogspot.co.uk/

Just the gaps from post #167, Gary ticked Common Scoter (#175) off Titchwell on the 28th, bombed down to Welney only to miss the White Stork (which turned out to be a release anyhow) and then returned back to the Norfolk Coast having spent a day writing his talk for the RSPB Community Weekend in York (1st to 3rd April). He then added Red-crested Pochard (#176) and Hen Harrier (#177) at Titchwell, followed by the long-staying Lapland Bunting flock (#178) at Blakeney Freshmarsh and Snow Bunting (#179) at Cley. A really good bird to secure was Rough-legged Buzzard (#180) near Chooseley Barns.

As stated in his earlier post Gary is now heading north through Lincs to Yorkshire in time for the event in York at the start of April. Target birds over the next three weeks include Surf Scoter, Richard's Pipit, Black Grouse, Red Grouse, Shorelark (if any are still lingering), Iceland Gull, Bittern, Corn Bunting, Willow Tit, Long-eared Owl and Little Owl. He has already added Tree Sparrow (#181) at Frampton Marsh.

So at the end of February Gary was on 180 species compared with 155 last year.

Please find attached a list of c340 species that most likely for Gary this year (I'm sure would argue the toss about some of them); the ones he has seen are shaded in green whilst the birds he has recorded but weren't noted last year are highlighted in red.

Attachments

• Gary 2016 list.xlsx
    15.4 KB · Views: 45
Hi Phil,

Thank you, very interesting list, surprised Gary has not seen an Eider yet this year, the rest I think is well documented within this thread.

Ian

Hi Phil,

Thank you, very interesting list, surprised Gary has not seen an Eider yet this year, the rest I think is well documented within this thread.

Ian

Hopefully Gary will encounter Eider off Flamborough (which he will reach by nightfall tomorrow), Filey or the Cleveland coast.

A productive day yesterday in Yorkshire for Gary with the addition of two Richard's Pipits (#182) at North Landing, Flamborough Head followed by the first winter drake Surf Scoter off Filet Brigg (#183).

A day in and around Filey added a further two species - one expected and the other a bit leftfield: Ring Ouzel (#184) and Puffin (#185).

Shorelark, Long eared owl and Eider still available a little further north, best of luck!

Cheers Lamp - trying to persaude Gary to get to Hartlepool asap before the Shorelark get the urge to head north. How easy is the LEO in the Salthouse area?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back