• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Norfolk Coast Rarities (1 Viewer)

condor1992

Spain
Today's bike ride stretched from Sheringham to Warham Greens, near Wells next to the sea, and back. Compared to my other bike rides, most notably the 60-80km ones in Spain, this was shorter but the amount of steep hills made it an absolute nightmare!
Part 1. Cley Marshes
IMG20240104124223.jpg

After arriving at Cley, I went to the Eye Field to see the red-breasted goose which arrived here in a flock of brent geese. It was there, but it was very distant, and I had to move around a bit before I got closer to the flock, watching them from the beach. I was unable to see anything but brent geese until I just happened to find the red-breasted goose and was amazed how well it blended in. After this one view, however, it vanished, like a ghost. It is in the center of the photo, with its head down
DSC00082.JPG
Part 2. RAF intervention

Naturally after it vanished, I wanted to see it better. As I tried to observe it, I noticed an F-35 approaching the marshes. Almost overhead, it turned on full afterburner. And the entire flock stampeded. Part of it flew where I was initially standing, but most of it flew into another field. After scanning the first flock and seeing it was not there, I found the other, much bigger flock, and there it really stood out, glowing red in the sun. I have seen a red-breasted goose once before, and it was a near-dot in the distance. Now, there was a red-breasted goose 30-50 meters from me, surrounded by brent geese. Curiously, the jet was the reason I actually got these views!
DSC00156.JPG
DSC00161.JPG
DSC00165.JPG

Part 3. Warham Greens
Satisfied, I got back on my bike and cycled to Warham Greens, where I began waiting. Interesting things seen as I waited for a glimpse of the pallid harrier was a bridge full of kites in the distance, a close fly-by of a hunting barn owl (I just love these beautiful owls), and a very close fly-by of a beautiful rare curlew
IMG_2705.JPG
DSC00171.JPG
IMG_2713.JPG
As I watched, ringtails started arriving. One of these flew close to us, just as I was trying to get photos of a hunting peregrine. I took a few pictures of it. Only then did I realise that the ringtail harrier in front of me had 4 primaries and looked much slimmer than the 3 hen harriers flying about in the distance. It was the pallid harrier
Part 4. The pallid harrier
As I watched the harrier, I noted its 4 primaries on both wings, a much narrower wing than the ringtail hen harriers, orange tones in the chest, and also, as I later checked my photos, I noticed that on a few very distant ones, it appears to have a whitish 'collar' around the neck. As if just to show off to me, the pallid harrier approached us, circled once, and was lost behind the trees. This is a very rare bird in the UK.
IMG_2780.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back