• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

book wanted (1 Viewer)

nicejohnson

Hi all, maybe you can help.

My dad loves birds of prey and I know he would love a book with all the worlds birds of prey and raptors.

Does such a book exist or are they broken up into regions?

Thanks for your help, I am sure one of you out there has a great book you can recommend.

The book quoted above is a soft back field guide version of a much larger hardback book also called "Raptors of the World" published Helm. The HB is a weighty tomb and contains plates of all the worlds diurnal Raptors (not Owls) with in depth text. The Field guide mentioned above contains all the plates but with only brief text.

I would recommend the longer book (ISBN-10: 0713680261),
its expensive, but shop around online and you should be able to get it for £45

The Feild guide(ISBN-10: 0713669578) is available from about £20

They are the only in print books that I know of that cover all of the worlds diurnal raptors.

Last edited:
There is another Helm guide called "Owls of the World" which has the same format as the Raptors hardback

ISBN-10: 0713665483

retails from about £35

Thank you very much guys, I will check out those suggestions now as they sound perfect.

One question, is the soft back field guide in Colour? the images on ebay seem to be dull?

Are the pictures in both the books photos or illustrations?

Last edited:
The plates are all in colour and are illustrations. They are by three different artists with some being better than others.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back