• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Durham Birding (10 Viewers)

Coastal migrants

good nos of migrant birds deposited by the weather along the Tyne/Tees coast today.
Goodies include Wrynecks, Greenish Warbler, Barred Warbler, Bluethroat alongwith greater no's of Redstarts, Garden Warblers, Wheatears, Spotted Flycatchers, etc
Some looked very tired, we had Blackcap, Willow warbler & Chiffchaff feeding on roadside verges of a Seaham industrial estate...
Should be several birds again tomorrow.

Hi folks, I photographed this Warbler in Trow on Saturday afternoon, there were birds in all parts of the quarry and i was photographing anything and everything that moved in there (I was intending to identify this little fella from the book when i got home)..... I started the editing process tonight and picked up my book of british and european warblers to try and give it a name but it doesn't seem to be in there, just wondering if anyone could help me out.

The photo has been cropped and sharpened but nothing else.

Cheers, Dougie.

Attachments

• IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_1748.jpg
    IMG_1748.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 162
Hawthorn Dene / Blast Beach area

Just under a hundred species seen in the Blast / Hawthorn area last 2 days.
Migrants this weekend:-
2Barred Warbler, 1Bluethroat, 1Greenish Warbler, 1Icterine Warbler, 7+Spotted Flycatcher, 7Pied Flycatcher, 90+Redstart, 10Tree Pipit, 10Lesser Whitethroat, 15+Garden Warbler, 50+Willow Warbler, Chiffchaff, 75+Wheatear, 11Whinchat, 1Crossbill, 1Heron, Golden Plover, 2Snipe, 2Swift, Siskin, 1Sand Martin, Swallow, House Martin.
Other highlights include perched Sparrowhawk being mobbed by Little Owl.
No's are minimums

Tawny update

Had a go at releasing the Tawny Owl found at the side of the road near Shotton on Saturday but it didn't want to go. Tried feeding it some raw meat but it wouldn't take any so I thought it was best for me to call the RSPCA to check it over and take to be cared for properly.

I would have loved to do it myself, but thought I could do more damage than good as I've no experience of looking after birds.

Attachments

• Tawny Owl 3.jpg
    Tawny Owl 3.jpg
    214.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Tawny Owl 4.jpg
    Tawny Owl 4.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 63
  • Tawny Owl 5.jpg
    Tawny Owl 5.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 64
Derwent Country Park flood damage

The Butterfly Bridge on the Derwent Walk has been demolished by the flooding. Clearly the river has been very swollen.

Was it your lovely dog I was entertaining this morning whilst looking for the Subalpine Warbler? :t:

A couple of record shots was all I could get for the Warbler. They're on the South Tyneside Thread.

Joanne

hi joanne, it was my dog you were entertaining yesterday! i'll have a look at your shots now!
cheers
steve

RM's yesterday PM :

highlight probably being a conked out car in the middle of a a lake at the entrance. great bustard mustn't have been because he would have stolen it ;)

Flycatcher

Can anyone confirm what kind of Flycatcher this is that I saw yesterday - looking at my books it looks like a Red Breasted, but am not totally sure - it does have the white eye ring.
Cheers

Colin

Attachments

• Red-Breasted-Flycatcher3WEB.jpg
    Red-Breasted-Flycatcher3WEB.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 106
  • Red-Breasted-Flycatcher4WEB.jpg
    Red-Breasted-Flycatcher4WEB.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 113
  • Red-Breasted-FlycatcherWEB.jpg
    Red-Breasted-FlycatcherWEB.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 111
  • goldcrest6WEB.jpg
    goldcrest6WEB.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 78
Had a go at releasing the Tawny Owl found at the side of the road near Shotton on Saturday but it didn't want to go. Tried feeding it some raw meat but it wouldn't take any so I thought it was best for me to call the RSPCA to check it over and take to be cared for properly.

I would have loved to do it myself, but thought I could do more damage than good as I've no experience of looking after birds.

You've put a good bit effort into it Glen, not everyone would have bothered.
Sorry we cudnt be more help - something to read up on /find out for future ref...
Cant help thinking eyes dont look "right"
Hope it gets back to the wild - Hopefully rspca will let you know how it gets on?

( ps We Shudda aksed Derek.C... he has good experience of one to ones with Tawnies! - although they dont appear to like him all that much... ;) )

Can anyone confirm what kind of Flycatcher this is that I saw yesterday - looking at my books it looks like a Red Breasted, but am not totally sure - it does have the white eye ring.
Cheers

Colin

Don't quote me on this, but if you look at your shots (which are great by the way) look at the detail on the wing, I think it looks like a Pied Flycatcher. Also I think it doesn't look dumpy like the Red Breasted Flycatcher. But only being a young 16 years old birder who has only be doing it for like 3 years, I don't know.
I just thought I would try and help a little.
Andrew K

Cheers

Colin

Actually on second thought I think your right, I agree I think it's a RBF not a Pied Flycatcher, great photo!:t:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back