• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Struggling with Binoculars (1 Viewer)

snerkler

Following recently getting more into birding I dug out my Dad's old Minolta 10x25 binoculars and soon realised how poor they are so invested in some new ones. I did a lot of research on the technical aspects such as magnification, lens diameter field of view, exit pupil size, eye relief etc etc and chose the Barr and Stroud Sahara 8 x 32's as I wanted something still quite compact as they are to accompany me on my photography treks. However, no matter how much I adjusted them I still struggled to get a clear view.

What I mean by this is not that things were out of focus as I made sure the focus and diopter were adjusted correctly, and I wasn't getting blackouts due to too little eye relief but no matter how much I adjusted the width of the bins, eye relief I felt as though the rim of the bins was somehow impeding my view, as though I can see the bins out of the corner of my eye. I didn't get full cresents but something kind of similar, but I don't know how to describe it. I also found that my R eye got really bad strain very quickly.

So I've sent them back and got the Opticron Oregon 8x 32's and found the same issue. In fact I have the same issue with the old Minolta's too. I know when I have glasses fitted I often have a lot of problems and they often need to be adjusted several times until I'm happy with them so think I have rather 'sensitive' eyes (well right one) or maybe it's due to my astigmatism. Also I am very much left eye dominant. I'm starting to wonder if there's anything else I can try adjustment wise, whether it's something you get used to, or whether I'm just not suitable for bins and need to look at a monocular instead. I've tried pressing the bins right up to my eyes, resting them on my eyebrow ridge, changing the width, checking and double checking focus and still have the same issue.

Any help appreciated. I don't want to go to 42's or 50's tbh. Whilst I know they're more forgiving I don't want the bulk.

Cheers, Toby

Toby

Do you live close enough to North Derbyshire that we could meet up? I live in Sheffield so its no problem to nip into Derbyshire. I could bring a couple of other bins with me and we could try and find out what is going on here.

I am up for it if you are. I am retired so normally any day except Monday is OK although next week I am tied up all week.

However I could do either this Saturday or Sunday.

Lee

Toby

Do you live close enough to North Derbyshire that we could meet up? I live in Sheffield so its no problem to nip into Derbyshire. I could bring a couple of other bins with me and we could try and find out what is going on here.

I am up for it if you are. I am retired so normally any day except Monday is OK although next week I am tied up all week.

However I could do either this Saturday or Sunday.

Lee

That's a very kind offer thanks. Wednesday afternoons is my only real time off, although this Wednesday I have a hospital appt to go to, but if we could do another Wednesday that'd be great if you're really sure it's not hassle. I'll PM you later to discuss.

Thanks again.

OK so I fear that this may be newbie error. Just got back home and tried the Opticrons again and they're fine when viewing at any significant distance, ie 10ft+, maybe my eyes converge too much with closer stuff ;)

OK so I fear that this may be newbie error. Just got back home and tried the Opticrons again and they're fine when viewing at any significant distance, ie 10ft+, maybe my eyes converge too much with closer stuff ;)

Its normal to have to close the interpupillary distance a little when viewing subjects that are very close and you need to concentrate on the subject and disregard everything else. Its not difficult but does need a little practice.

Lee

Its normal to have to close the interpupillary distance a little when viewing subjects that are very close and you need to concentrate on the subject and disregard everything else. Its not difficult but does need a little practice.

Lee
As per the PM, thanks for your advice :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back