• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking for long eye relief binoculars (3 Viewers)

adamsdp

I am looking for binoculars with eye relief of ~20mm or more and so far have found the following-
Pentax ZD 8x43EDd- Amazon.com - 22mm eye relief.
Bushnell Forge 8x42 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07F4KR6XZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=A2G3IE5A14HC2W&psc=1 - 19mm eye relief

I am wondering these are a good choice and any others worth considering in the $500-$1000 range? I have been scanning the rankings at- Binoculars rankings - 8x42 - AllBinos.com and the Bushnell's look like a good performer at a reasonable price. I plan to use them on a parallelogram mount so not worried much about them being heavy.

The one drawback I read about the Pentax above is that they have a narrow field of view. The Pentax come in a non-ED version but thinking they would not be much different than the Pentax 8x32 DCF SP that I currently have - Amazon.com Also, any thoughts on how much better the either of the above will be over my current Pentax will be appreciated. I must have deep set eyes because even though my current Pentax are listed at 17mm of eye relief, I can't see the whole field of view even with my glasses pressed up against the eyecups. Any thoughts or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

It is for bird watching, for astronomy?

You can find binoculars reviews here: Bushnell Forge 8×42 – Binoculars Today
They will be for bird watching. Thanks for posting the review. I noticed the usable eye relief is only 13.5mm which at first doesn't sound like a lot but my current Pentax 8x32 dcf binoculars are listed as having 10.5mm usable eye relief so it would be an improvement. From what I gather, the stated eye relief isn't the complete story and usable eye relief sounds like more useful information. I also noticed that the Pentax 8x43 binoculars are rated as having 15mm of usable eye relief and the Kowa 6.5x32 are listed as a usable eye relief of 14.5mm which is nearly on par with the Pentax.

Last edited:
They will be for bird watching. Thanks for posting the review. I noticed the usable eye relief is only 13.5mm which at first doesn't sound like a lot but my current Pentax 8x32 dcf binoculars are listed as having 10.5mm usable eye relief so it would be an improvement. From what I gather, the stated eye relief isn't the complete story and usable eye relief sounds like more useful information. I also noticed that the Pentax 8x43 binoculars are rated as having 15mm of usable eye relief and the Kowa 6.5x32 are listed as a usable eye relief of 14.5mm which is nearly on par with the Pentax.
I have never handled the Forge but have owned both versions of the 8x43 non and ED Pentax. Highly recommend both for their over all high quality of build/optics. In my opinion the Pentax 8x43 are among some of the most easy/comfortable glass to bring to your eyes, due to their ultra long eye relief. One other 8x42 that I have owned which is in the same price range, which also performs with similar qualities both optically and with equal ease of use due to their long eye relief are the Opticron DBA VHD 8x42. The Opticron were on sale for $595. at Honey Creek Bill and Beak.

I would also like to mention the comment of the Pentax 8x43 usable use of eye relief. The ED version was the last pair I owned, with my glasses and with my facial features the eye relief was way more then enough. Any more would be way too much. So I question that 15mm eye relief rating. Maybe the ED Pentax version Ocular Eye Piece elements are different than the non ED. I distinctly remember thinking when I brought those Pentax to my eyes for the first time ….. wow I can not believe how comfortable these are to use, having really nice long eye relief.

What happens if you take off your glasses?

Do you have significant astigmatism? If not, it may be worth a try if you have only refractive error.
I do have some astigmatism but it is more of a comfort factor and not sure why but have a preference for viewing with glasses on.

I would also like to mention the comment of the Pentax 8x43 usable use of eye relief. The ED version was the last pair I owned, with my glasses and with my facial features the eye relief was way more then enough. Any more would be way too much. So I question that 15mm eye relief rating. Maybe the ED Pentax version Ocular Eye Piece elements are different than the non ED. I distinctly remember thinking when I brought those Pentax to my eyes for the first time ….. wow I can not believe how comfortable these are to use, having really nice long eye relie
Thanks for mentioning about the eye relief and details. Good to know it is a generous amount. What do you think of the non ED vs ED?

Last edited:
I have never handled the Forge but have owned both versions of the 8x43 non and ED Pentax. Highly recommend both for their over all high quality of build/optics. In my opinion the Pentax 8x43 are among some of the most easy/comfortable glass to bring to your eyes, due to their ultra long eye relief. One other 8x42 that I have owned which is in the same price range, which also performs with similar qualities both optically and with equal ease of use due to their long eye relief are the Opticron DBA VHD 8x42. The Opticron were on sale for $595. at Honey Creek Bill and Beak.
Thanks and I will check out the Opticron binos as well. Which of the one's you mentioned would be your top choice? Sound like they are all good optionsl

Hi adamsdp,

Unfortunately, Listed/ Nominal eye relief is often far from what’s usable.

Two good sources of useable ER data, are in the individual reviews from the following:
• Roger Vine at: Binocular Reviews

• Pinac (aka Canip here on BF) at: The PINACOLLECTION – Binoculars Today

They may help you narrow down to a few specific models to check out.

John

p.s. Pinac includes both the Pentax DCF ED 8x43 (which has the same eyepiece/ ER as the current ZD version), and the Bushnell Forge 8x42.
The respective useable ER figures are 15 mm and 13.5 mm.

Last edited:
Note Roger Vine's and Canip/Pinac's measured values for the the Pentax DCF ED 8x32 differ. However think we'll likely all agree the numbers do provide a very useful and welcome guide for relative performance between binoculars (as well as perhaps indicating some general trends : eg. 8x42s generally have more eye relief than 8x32s). As per usual the best test is an actual one in person; other factors such as eyecup diameter may influence what is comfortable. Still, encouragingly both resources seem to agree that your Pentax is actually quite short on eye relief for a modern 8x32 design (though perhaps not for its particular vintage). A bit Captain Obvious (but maybe useful to underline) that without a reference point of a model that does have satisfactory eye relief it's still quite possible that the number of 8x42 models that will perform satisfactorily for you is long and really shouldn't be restricted to consideration of models advertised as having approaching 20mm eye relief (regardless of the trustworthiness of numbers).

Thanks for mentioning about the eye relief. Good to know it is a generous amount. What do you think of the non ED vs ED? Thanks
Paying xtra for ED glass or just getting the less expensive non ED is really a personal choice. It also depends on your sensitivity to CA and your eye health. If you are young and healthy it makes your decision easier. In my case now, being in my seventies I have to consider if the cost of paying more for the xtra performance of the ED glass really makes that much of a difference. I am not sensitive to CA in a binocular but I do give a high priority to really long eye relief. If I were to have to make a choice now between ED or not in the Pentax series and considering my eye sight being not so good now, I would not spend the xtra money for the ED performance because it would be a waste due to my poor eye health along with my smaller pupil size(dilation) of my eyes. Also because in the Pentax example the xtra long eye relief comes with both versions and that makes it even easier to go with the cheaper non ED. There have been examples in which I was willing to pay the xtra cost of getting ED in a binocular because the non ED version of the particular binocular had less eye relief. Now having said all this, it really is a personal choice.

Last edited:
The opticron discovery wp pc 7x42 has 25mm of ER and has been generally well reviewed.
I owned a pair. Eye relief quoted is correct. Very sharp and bright, Opticron did a very nice job on these. You get a lot of binocular for a very reasonable price. I am tempted to purchase Pentax’s version of their SD 7x42 ED, being a little over $100 more than the Opticron. I am curious to see if that xtra cost really amounts to the Pentax being Optically superior to the Opticron.

Most binoculars are designed for folks like us (I wear glasses too) these days. It shouldn't be too difficult to find one that meets your requirements.

Canip's site is a useful resource if you can't try binoculars yourself (always the best thing). The measurements should be the same between binoculars, so once you've found a binocular you are comfortable with, those with similar eye relief should be all right, and those with longer eye relief should be fine.

It's worth noting that glasses/spectacles play an important part too. There have been a couple of good threads covering this recently that you'll probably find interest. In short - the closer the glasses are to your eyes, the less eye relief you'll need.

Hi adamsdp,

Unfortunately, Listed/ Nominal eye relief is often far from what’s usable.

Two good sources of useable ER data, are in the individual reviews from the following:
• Roger Vine at: Binocular Reviews

• Pinac (aka Canip here on BF) at: The PINACOLLECTION – Binoculars Today

They may help you narrow down to a few specific models to check out.

John

p.s. Pinac includes both the Pentax DCF ED 8x43 (which has the same eyepiece/ ER as the current ZD version), and the Bushnell Forge 8x42.
The respective useable ER figures are 15 mm and 13.5 mm.
Thanks for posting the reviews and very useful. The Pinac reviews have a lot of the binoculars we have been discussing.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful information. I have several in mind with the Kowa BD II 8x42 XD at the top of the list at the moment. They are listed as having 15mm of useful eye relief a fairly wide fov and mostly good reviews on the optics while reasonably priced. I am hoping they will be a step up in performance from my Pentax DCF SP 8x32 in terms of eye relief and color correction. Does any have experience or opinions about the Kowa's?

As an aside, I find myself using the Pentax I have for quick views while sitting on the porch over my Canon 8x25 IS and 12x36 IS. I don't know why be even without the stabilization, they are comfortable and easy to use. Maybe the greater exit pupil size? I have a parallelogram mount that I don't use for astronomy any more and planning to set it up in my garage and use the new binos on them

Opticron Aurora BGA WP 8x42 has quite generous usable eye relief; I would estimate around 19mm (very close to Swarovski SLC 10x56).

Excellent optics for the price (about 1000€) also.

Regards, Juhani

Bear in mind that your prescription will also determine how much eye relief you require.
A negative correction for near-sightedness will effectively extend the eye relief and a positive correction for far-sightedness will reduce it.
When wearing glasses, despite far-sightedtedness, I have to extend the eyecups on both 7x42 Meopta B1 (nominally 22 mm ER) and 8x56 Swarovski SLC (23 mm) to avoid blackouts.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back