• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deformities in Black headed gulls. (1 Viewer)

stevo

I`ve been out today photographing the above birds as well as others & in a group of about 15 Black headed gulls 3 had injuries/deformities to their legs.One bird had a missing foot but the leg was constantly twitching the other two birds were both limping & unable to put any weight on that leg.Is this all common in gulls ie some sort of genetic problem?

Cheers Steve.

Strange you should make this observation,Steve,several months ago I submitted a pic to the Gallery showing a Gull with only one foot,and yes I have noticed it amongs't other Gulls.Also there was a Lapwing in our river which had a foot problem.Wonder if it anything to do with fishing in the area.

Gulls spend a lot of time at Rubbish Tips where they can pick up things like string etc that gets caught on their legs. There is also a lot of rubbish floating in the sea which they can get entangled with.As Christine points out discarded fishing lines are a major problem. Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back