• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When submitting a photo please also submit settings (1 Viewer)

JSER

Can I ask if, where possible anyone submitting a photograph to the site could also post the exposure settings, easily obtained from photoshop etc.

Whilst people happily state the camera and lens CanonXXX, surely more important for us "learners" would be the settings themselves.

Like many I would rather know perhaps say Canon/Nikon DSLR, 290mm on zoom lens, handheld, 400asa, late afternoon, 450th at f4.5.

Thanks

Last edited:
Can I ask if, where possible anyone submitting a photograph to the site could also post the exposure settings, easily obtained from photoshop etc.

Whilst people happily state the camera and lens CanonXXX, surely more important for us "learners" would be the settings themselves.

Like many I would rather know perhaps say Canon/Nikon DSLR, 290mm on zoom lens, handheld, 400asa, late afternoon, 450th at f4.5.

Thanks

Most browsers have an exif reader (for example this), just right click on an image and it'll show you all you need to know.

Personally I'm far too lazy to find and post my settings unless it's in the image critique section.

It's just that I like others (surely) see a good photo here and wonder, what asa was he using or what shutter speed, I'll try that.

It's just that I like others (surely) see a good photo here and wonder, what asa was he using or what shutter speed, I'll try that.

Like I said, the exif viewer will allow you to do that. It'll show all the settings used. Here's a photo I took last week, if you install an exif viewer just right click on it and it'll show all the settings.

Firefox and Safari both have exif viewers, not sure about Internet Explorer.

Attachments

• _MG_6762.JPG
    _MG_6762.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 83
Opera even comes with the EXIF reader installed by default :)
Though it should be said that not all photos have EXIF attached (saving for web, for example strips out EXIF) whilst sometimes EXIF can lie (eh a teleconverter not reporting itself).

I think if you save for web in photoshop the exif data gets taken out. I always save for web myself. It's not that much of an effort to state the main things like camera, lens, iso, shutter speed, aperture and exposure compensation surely? :) Although one thing to keep in mind is that since I shoot to the right I will most likely submit the info for exp comp at the time of capture, not when corrected during post process.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back