• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Moderately priced 8x30-32 compact. (1 Viewer)

Newbflat

It been a while since i have been on the forum. I did my years worth of research here and ended up with a par of ZR Prime 8x42 for me and ZR 7x36 for my gal... really liked my Primes until they were stolen:C..

Anyways.. on very short notice we are going on a 7 week trip to Peru and Bolivia and im in need of a traveling pair. Its not really a Birding trip but i will be opportunistically birding when i can. I have a pair of Nikon LX 10x25's that i will take for myself but need a second pair for my gal. It will also be my replacement for my Primes until i can afford another pair or something similar. Since im traveling i want something compact and light. Not as small as my LX's but maybe something like SW CL's or ZR's ZRS HD's (i think, never actually seen them)..

My budget is totally maxed out at $500 and a lot less than that is preferred.

So.... my requirements are...

1...I need good eye relief (i always have glasses on and have moderately deep set eyes) 15-16mm minimum and only if the eye cups are near flush with the lens. Otherwise i need 17mm+

2...8x30-32 and compact/light for travel.

3... as wide a field as possible.

4... Cheap and unbelievably good!..... well, i will settle for cheapish and good for the money.

The first two are the most important...

I normally just look around here for a few months and make a decision but im leaving soon and just don't have the time to research much. I thought i would tap into the communal knowledge and shorten my options by several months research!

Any recommendations?

Bill

I'd go with the new ZRS HD and not look back. I've had one in 8x42 for a few weeks now, and it is as good as anything mid priced. I'd call it an optical advance over the last ZRS. Pretty compact for a full size. Less than $250.

Hi Bill,

The Kenko DH MS 8x32 would fit the bill admirably if the ER was sufficient for you. It is a binocular that is sold widely throughout the tropics and successfully too. I like it for it's ultra compactness and sturdy build in addition to the very good optics, it is Japanese made.

It is one that I own and currently have in my go-bag and is unlikely to break if I drop it.

There's a review here : http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/452/limit/recent

Another Kenko bin worth consideration is the Kenko Ultraview EX OP DH II 8X32, this is virtually identical to the Sightron BS II 8x32, made by the same concern in the Phillippines. It is ultra light weight with (to me) a very pleasing view, natural colour, great contrast.

One that I haven't seen but would like to try is the Theron Wapiti LT 8x32.

Good luck with your choice.

At the high end of your budget range, I would recommend looking at (or through) a Vanguard Endeavor II 8x32. The reviews have been extremely complimentary. Besides the Nikon EII, which is not recommended due to lack of waterproofing, the Endeavor is one of the best under $500.

At the mid-point of your budget (more or less) is the Nikon Monarch 7 8x30. I really like the wide, bright, and sharp view of ours, and especially like it's small footprint and very low weight. It is a joy to both carry and look through. Be aware that some examples have had problems in the past, so if you get one, get one from a place that will accept it back if you have problems.

At the low end of your budget range is the Sightron SII Blue Sky. An excellent bino that does most things pretty well. I cannot think of a better overall buy, when one considers it's low price. I still like our M7 more than our SII B.S., but I feel no disadvantage at all when using the B.S.. If you think that one day you might get an alpha 32mm, then I would recommend the B.S., and save the rest of your $500 budget for the eventual purchase of an alpha.

At the very low end of your budget range is the Leupold Yosemite and Vortex Raptor porro binos. Excellent performers for their very low prices, and despite what one person on this forum believes, they can provide years of excellent and cost-effective duty.

I don't have any experience with the models mentioned so far, but if you don't mind the camo color scheme, the Bushnell Ultra HD Legend Binoculars in 8x36 might be a good choice. I don't think there are any rebates right now, but each year, Bushnell seems to offer substantial rebates on them.

I would say their center resolution is near alpha-level, as well as the contrast. And they offer a wide FOV. The sweet spot is maybe only 50% though.

I think some people have reported problems with the diopter adjustment breaking, at least the plastic cover. I've never had any problem with mine, though.

Overall I really like the little Bushnell.

Last edited:
I'd go with the new ZRS HD and not look back. I've had one in 8x42 for a few weeks now, and it is as good as anything mid priced. I'd call it an optical advance over the last ZRS. Pretty compact for a full size. Less than $250.

Thanks for the suggestion. That was my first thouight. Have you looked threw the 8x32 Summits? I'm looking for a smaller pair than the 8x42's

Bill

Hi Bill,

The Kenko DH MS 8x32 would fit the bill admirably if the ER was sufficient for you. It is a binocular that is sold widely throughout the tropics and successfully too. I like it for it's ultra compactness and sturdy build in addition to the very good optics, it is Japanese made.

It is one that I own and currently have in my go-bag and is unlikely to break if I drop it.

There's a review here : http://www.birdforum.net/reviews/showproduct.php/product/452/limit/recent

Another Kenko bin worth consideration is the Kenko Ultraview EX OP DH II 8X32, this is virtually identical to the Sightron BS II 8x32, made by the same concern in the Phillippines. It is ultra light weight with (to me) a very pleasing view, natural colour, great contrast.

One that I haven't seen but would like to try is the Theron Wapiti LT 8x32.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks, i will give both of those a look..

Bill

Newb,

I did a review of $250 and under 8x32s a year or so ago. Many of the ones mentioned above are in the review along with a few others. I also did a comparative review of the Nikon M7 and Leupold Mojave 8x30-32s. The links are below. Lastly, I am working on a review of the Maven B3 8x30. Haven't finished it yet but I would certainly recommend it. It is at the top of your budget range though...right at $500.

Also consider the Opticron Countryman HD 8x32 and Discovery 8x32s as they both are very good at their respective price points. I really don't have much additional to say about the Sightron as the folks above mentioned it well enough.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=279586

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=269560

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=250655

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=211793

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion. That was my first thouight. Have you looked threw the 8x32 Summits? I'm looking for a smaller pair than the 8x42's

Bill

Yes, I have both the 8x42 and the 8x32. I don't disagree with other posts, but since you have a familiarity with ZR and seem to be happy with the product, and the ZRS matches your description, that was my recommendation. The 8x32 runs right with the Monarch 8x30.

Although after looking at the pictures Frank just posted taken through the Maven B3, I'd consider that one real hard...real hard since it is at the top of your price range.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the suggestions.. Thinking about it I think I will go for the cheaper end of things as I will be getting a high quality pair in the future alpha ish (7x30 somethings with a really wide field) and these will be kind of a beater pair. So... It's down to the Blue sky's vs the ZRS HD's I think. In all your oh so humble opinions, who has better optics? I'm talking 8x32's. And since I have never held ether, which is more compact? Any one out there with the ZRS' and wear glasses? Any ishues with the 15.6mm eye relief?

Bill

Thanks for all the suggestions.. Thinking about it I think I will go for the cheaper end of things as I will be getting a high quality pair in the future alpha ish (7x30 somethings with a really wide field) and these will be kind of a beater pair. So... It's down to the Blue sky's vs the ZRS HD's I think. In all your oh so humble opinions, who has better optics? I'm talking 8x32's. And since I have never held ether, which is more compact? Any one out there with the ZRS' and wear glasses? Any ishues with the 15.6mm eye relief?

Bill

Optics too close to call.

Any issues with the 15.6mm eye relief?

Bill

Bill,

The ER questions is very difficult for anyone else to answer. It depends on your style of frame, facial features, index of the lens and prescription strength. My glasses were chosen for a close fit and 15mm is fine, providing it's all available and not reduced by a clumsy eye-cup design. However, just from the comments on the forum, most appear to need around 17 or 18mm and a few over 20mm. I'd be wary of 15.6mm unless you know your specs tick all the close fit boxes.

David

My Nikon LX 10x25's have 15mm of relief and work for me but the rim of the cups aren't very high, pluses the field of view is farly narrow. My girlfriends ZR 7x36 ED2's are 16.8mm but I can't see the full field of view at a very wide 477 feet. My ZR 8x Primes at 20mm were almost too much and I needed to pull the cups out a little.

Bill

Bill,

I have the Prime 10x42 and I just start to lose definition on the field stop when the eye cups are twisted out 4mm so that might suggest about 19mm is available (20mm listed). Might give you a reference point for comparison.

David

I really don't have much additional to say about the Sightron as the folks above mentioned it well enough.

I've had a bit more time with the Kenko Ultraview EX OP DH II 8X32 this week and I can see why the Sightron has been so well received. Yes, the accessories are exactly the same, case with no belt hoops, rigid rainguard, cheap strap, but the objective covers fit very well and the view is just great, really enjoyable. At a bare weight of 455g (16.05 ounces) it is a very light binocular. Perhaps not the best choice for a windy day on the lakes but a great grab 'n go bino. A good choice.

Ok, i think i have narrowed it down to Nikon 8x30 M7's or Leupold Mojave 8x32s. I tied the Terra ED's and the M7 yesterday briefly and decided that the M7's were the preferred of the two. The Terra had noticeable CA issues center field when looking at a crow on a tree 200 feet away against a bright white/grey cloudy sky. Plus looking threw the Nikon's were more relaxed and had a wider apparent field of view (nice and immersive.... I'm a sucker for that). Size was also an issue as these will be light traveling binos and there feel, size and weight of the M7s is very appealing. So, what i want to know is ... eye relief for glasses on the Mojave's? On the M7's i can see 95% of the full field, maybe a little more. It's almost there and I'm getting a new pair of glasses this week that might bring it to just barely 100%. How do the Mojave's compare eye relief wise? I cant find any in town to try..

Bill

Bill-

I really like the Leupold Mojave ( 8x32); and I have no trouble seeing full field when wearing eye glasses.

And when I compared the Mojave to the Nikon M7, I thought the Mojave was slightly brighter; and also to me the Mojave was better in apparent sharpness ( resolved details better for me). And in that regard ( sharpness) I felt the Mojave was better during all times of day for me. It just brought things into a little bit sharper image. So, I kept the Mojave.

As far as finding a Leupold Mojave; the Cabelas stores carry them, and usually have in stock. Lacey WA may not be that far from you.

Bill - I noticed your reference to CA in the Terra 8x32. I'm one of those people who does not see CA. Had I, that would have been mentioned in my review. But I do not question your assessment at all. Several of my friends look for CA and down grade any binocular exhibiting it. I have looked through all the Nikon Monarch 7 models, and found them to be excellent for the price. The important thing is finding something that your comfortable with and can afford. For example I have a pair of 60 year old Bushnell 7x35 Rangemasters that give me the most relaxed view of any binocular I have looked through and that numbers in the hundreds. Performance at dusk and dawn are really important to me. Sometime I'll compare the M7s to the Terra. They may exceed the Terra. It is really hard to buy a real "lemon" in today's market when you have enough time to check out what is available. Have a safe trip to Peru and Bolivia, and tell us about the birds you see when you return.

John

Bill - I noticed your reference to CA in the Terra 8x32. I'm one of those people who does not see CA. Had I, that would have been mentioned in my review. But I do not question your assessment at all. Several of my friends look for CA and down grade any binocular exhibiting it. I have looked through all the Nikon Monarch 7 models, and found them to be excellent for the price. The important thing is finding something that your comfortable with and can afford. For example I have a pair of 60 year old Bushnell 7x35 Rangemasters that give me the most relaxed view of any binocular I have looked through and that numbers in the hundreds. Performance at dusk and dawn are really important to me. Sometime I'll compare the M7s to the Terra. They may exceed the Terra. It is really hard to buy a real "lemon" in today's market when you have enough time to check out what is available. Have a safe trip to Peru and Bolivia, and tell us about the birds you see when you return.

John

I unfortunately see CA all to quickly. It jumps right out at me. But, it doesn't really bother me as long as its not in the sweet spot. The M7 has plenty off axis but not on view. I was surprised to see it right away looking threw the Terra ED's at a white resolution chart on a dark wood wall 100 feet away. It was very clear looking at the Crow and leafless branches and i wasn't even looking for it, just decided to look at the crow in the tree. Could be a lemon pair i suppose.

I only had a few minuets with all the binos i looked threw. That included the SV CL's and Viper HD's.... the CL's were too $$ and didn't jump out at me and the Viper's were heavy and i missed the wide apparent view. I will sacrifice a touch of sharpness for a big window! Wish i had more time with them all.

Bill

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back