• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gannets in Eastern Spain (1 Viewer)

JeffMoh

I'm going to be in Barcelona in early/mid November, with a weekend side trip to the Ebro Delta.

Does anyone know if there is any chance I'll see gannets there? They're birds I've wanted to see for years!

Jeff

Catalonia Gannets

Jeff Hi

Gannets can be seen but in small numbers and often mid-distant unless you're lucky. That said, the size, colour (of adults, but also watch for immatures) and behaviour makes them relatively easy to spot with a little patience. They are however more common from December onwards.

Try along the Trubacador, especially nearer the end, but my preferred place is from the tower or beach at the Gola de Mijgorn.

However, you may not have to go that far. I see them along the Garraf coast (where I also run trips if you're interested for wallcreeper, etc.) just south of Barcelona and at either of the wetland reserves at Llobregat.

If you want to check out other sites in Catalonia, including the Ebro, take a look here and click the sites' main photo for more details:

http://www.catalanbirdtours.com/Spain birding/spain birding winter.html

All the best, have a good trip and do let us know how you got on.

Thanks

Thanks for the info, Stephen.
One of these years I'm going to have time to do some real birding in Catalonia. When I do, I know who I'll want as my guide!
Jeff

gannet update

Hi Jeff

Any luck?

There have been good numbers of Gannets off the Catalan coast this winter so far, with birds seen at each of the Cap de Creus (especially good), Llobregat, Ebro Delta and the Garraf, many at reasonably close quarters.

As usual, my local patch, the Garraf, has also provided excellent winter birding all round, with Wallcreeper, Alpine Accentor and Bonelli's Eagle all being extremely accommodating.

All the best

I'm afraid the birding didn't go very well. (I wasn't able to fit in lots because it was mainly a family trip.)

Llobregat probably had as many birds as on my previous trip but this time there was a lot of airport construction and cleaning up of the reserve going on. So the birds mainly stayed far away.

In the delta, Canal Vell was a disappointment, because it was closed for hunting until 5:00 every day. I saw quite a few birds elsewhere in the delta but I would have seen a lot more if I'd taken a scope. (Doh!) I hadn't realized that water/wading birds would be so much less approachable than here. In Texas you can get very close, particularly if you stay in the car; I can often photograph egrets etc. from 10 feet. But in Spain the birds would fly even before I'd stopped the car!

Next time I visit, I'm going to insist on having at least one full day for birding - and I'll be looking for you to guide me.

Jeff

skittish birds

Yes, many clients from outside Europe comment on our 'flyaway' birds. The rest sounds like a bit of bad luck/timing.

May be see you next time then, when hopefully both will be better.

All the best

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back