• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which flatbed scanner (1 Viewer)

Leif

We have some old family prints that we want to copy so that everyone can keep a copy. Most prints are black and white and no bigger than A4. Some are from the 30's and showing signs of age.

I presumed the best way to do this is to scan with a desk top scanner and then print. But which desk top scanner should I get? Obviously I want the scans to look as good as the originals if not better (after using PhotoShop to remove marks etc).

I recently bought an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo scanner. It is very good, and can scan up to 3200 dpi, which is overkill for scanning paper (e.g. photos, etc), but necessary for scanning slides and negatives (where you obviously will want to do a lot of enlargement before printing). I got it at Amazon for $150 (after an Epson $25 rebate), and free shipping.

RAH said:
I recently bought an Epson Perfection 3170 Photo scanner. It is very good, and can scan up to 3200 dpi, which is overkill for scanning paper (e.g. photos, etc), but necessary for scanning slides and negatives (where you obviously will want to do a lot of enlargement before printing). I got it at Amazon for $150 (after an Epson $25 rebate), and free shipping.

Thanks. How do you find the colours of the scan compared to the original?

Leif said:
Thanks. How do you find the colours of the scan compared to the original?
For reflective (photos, etc), the color is very accurate. For slides, it sometimes requires some tweaking with image software (I use Paint Shop Pro), usually to remove a reddish/purplish tint that sometimes comes in. But it's pretty easy to remove.

I think that in totally automatic mode, the scanner software will automatically fix such problems for you. I say this because my cousin, who knows very little about image manipulation, spent a weekend scanning his large collection of old slides, using completely automatic mode (scanning 4 at a time, without even looking at the results), and the results looked very good in most cases without any later manipulation.

RAH said:
For reflective (photos, etc), the color is very accurate. For slides, it sometimes requires some tweaking with image software (I use Paint Shop Pro), usually to remove a reddish/purplish tint that sometimes comes in. But it's pretty easy to remove.

I think that in totally automatic mode, the scanner software will automatically fix such problems for you. I say this because my cousin, who knows very little about image manipulation, spent a weekend scanning his large collection of old slides, using completely automatic mode (scanning 4 at a time, without even looking at the results), and the results looked very good in most cases without any later manipulation.

RAH: Thanks. A colleague also has an Epson 3170 and he also thinks it is excellent with good colour reproduction. Time to make a purchase!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back