• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Turkey - Western Brown Fish Owls (1 Viewer)

Mike Hunter

My wife and I are visiting Turkey from 27 June to 13 July.

We'd like to see Brown Fish Owl if we could. I've been in touch with Oscan who runs Vigotour (https://www.vigotour.com/en/things-...ls-tour-at-green-canyon-near-manavgat-28.html) and who has successfully organised owl trips for a few years now. The birds are showing well this year.

Oscan is free to run a trip during our dates but needs 6 people (92 Euros each) before the trip can run. If anyone is planning to be in Turkey and would like to team up on a mutually agreeable date then please do respond or pm. I'd prefer an early date in the range to reduce the risk of dispersal and the birds becoming harder.

Thanks

Mike Hunter

Last edited:
Thanks Rob - I've contributed to that thread. I wanted to cover all bases in letting people know about the potential of joining forces (in late June / early July) to see what may well soon become widely accepted as one of the world's rarest owls.

Mike

Five north east birders are going to Turkey specifically to see Brown Fish Owls, on a confirmed 5th May 2016 boat trip. If another person or couple would like to join this trip then please PM me. Cost of around 100 Euro each (£71 at current and very favourable for us Brits at least exchange rate).

It can be difficult getting enough people together to make such a trip viable so this is an excellent opportunity to book onto a confirmed tour.

Mike

Last edited:
Hallo Mike
I will visit the region of Oinapinar Lake on 15th to 17th april 2016. We are 2 Swiss-birder and would like to visit the place of the brown fish owl. If you know other persons to join us let me know.
Martin Gerber

Hallo Mike
I will visit the region of Oinapinar Lake on 15th to 17th april 2016. We are 2 Swiss-birder and would like to visit the place of the brown fish owl. If you know other persons to join us let me know.
Martin Gerber

Hi Martin

I've been keep my ears to the ground for you but I think with all the attention on Turkey currently - migrants, bombings and adjacent border of Syria putting key birds out of reach - I don't think many birders are going currently.

You may want to contact Ozcan directly to see whether he can help you (https://www.vigotour.com/en/daily-t...owls-tour-at-green-canyon-in-manavgat-28.html) for your dates. Alternatively, contact Emin (emin.yogurtcuoglu AT gmail.com) who can organise a night search for owls at a fish farm for less per person that Ozcan's boat trip.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back