• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

WP Trips 2022 - Mauretania (Apr); Urals (Jun); Turkey (Jul), Batumi (Sep), C.Verde (Nov) (1 Viewer)

Benedict Macdonald

England
Evening all,

After several years of non-event overseas birding I am keen to up the ante in 2022 with some WP trips. The last major pioneering trip I did was in 2017, to Azerbaijan, where I refound caspian tit, and in February this year will be joining a group of Dutch birders to try and see the Siberian Crane as it passes through here. From then on, I'm keen to target Mauretania, Ural Russia, Georgia (Batumi) and Cape Verde this year if logistically possible. For anyone who has read my previous reports, I tend to research these trips fairly methodically to ensure everything is seen well, and like to plan them in good time. Of course, CV-19 is around but it's also here to stay, and current indications are that fit-to-fly rather than no-fly will be the pattern from April to October this year. Anyway, I am currently keen on participants for the following trips:

Ben Macdonald

MAURETANIA - 15-23 APRIL (Hiring driver throughout)
Personal targets:
White-breasted Cormorant
Reed Cormorant
Grey-headed Gull
Royal Tern
Kelp Gull
Golden Nightjar
African Dunn's Lark
Cricket Warbler
Sudan Golden Sparrow
African collared dove
Blue-naped Mousebird
African Grey Woodpecker

URAL RUSSIA - c. 14-25 JUNE (Hiring driver/translator throughout - early planning required)
Personal targets:

Steppe Gull
Great Snipe
Oriental Turtle Dove
Oriental Cuckoo
Black-throated Accentor
Siberian Rubythroat
White's Thrush
Blyth's Reed Warbler
Booted Warbler
Lanceolated Warbler
Long-tailed Rosefinch
Yellow-breasted Bunting
Azure Tit
Red-flanked Bluetail
Paddyfield Warbler
Asian Nuthatch

SHORT TURKEY - c. 10-16 JULY
Personal targets:

Brown Fish Owl
Yelkouan Shearwater
Kurdish Wheatear
Iraq Babbler
Yellow-throated Petronia

GEORGIA - BATUMI INC NEARBY MTNS - C.9-18 SEPTEMBER
Personal targets:

Levant Sparrowhawk
Crested Honey buzzard
Yelkouan Shearwater
Grey-headed Swamphen
Lilford's Woodpecker
Baillon's Crake
Great Rosefinch

CAPE VERDE - TBC NOVEMBER 10 DAYS

Fea's Petrel
Boyd's Shearwater
Cape Verde Storm Petrel
Cape Verde Shearwater
Red-footed Booby
Red-billed Tropicbird
Yellow-billed Egret
Black Heron
Cape Verde Buzzard
Helmeted Guineafowl
Cape Verde Swift
Grey-headed Kingfisher
Raso Lark
Cape Verde Warbler
Iago Sparrow
Black-crowned Sparrow Lark
(Bourne's Heron)
(Alexander's Kestrel)
(Neglected Kestrel)
(Cape Verde Peregrine)
(Cape Verde Barn Owl)

Sounds awesome! I'm guessing Asian Nuthatch is actually Eurasian Nuthatch ssp. asiatica.
I'm really hoping you can find any of the species you've put in parentheses on Cape Verde. I was under the impression that apart from the Peregrine, all were still somewhat gettable. I'm also especially interested whether you'll find any African Collared-doves and how Brown Fish-Owl is doing after the devastating fires this summer

Sounds awesome! I'm guessing Asian Nuthatch is actually Eurasian Nuthatch ssp. asiatica.
I'm really hoping you can find any of the species you've put in parentheses on Cape Verde. I was under the impression that apart from the Peregrine, all were still somewhat gettable. I'm also especially interested whether you'll find any African Collared-doves and how Brown Fish-Owl is doing after the devastating fires this summer
I think the parentheses show subspecies rather than long-shots.
But Lilford's Woodpecker and Asian Nuthatch are surely in that category too?
One other little comment - Grey-headed Swamphen should be easy enough in southern Turkey (in between the fish owl and Iraq Babbler pop into the Goksu delta).

I've heard that the Fish-Owls weren't directly affected by the fires, but that lack of rain affected the fish population in the lake and the owls have not been so reliable at the regular site.

Hi Ben - Cape Verde is of significant interest, not sure if November is possible at this stage because of carry forwards of trips from previous years. Please keep me posted.

The key question about birding Cape Verde in autumn is about the seabirds - do you think all are possible? Boyd's & Cape Verde Shearwaters will likely be much reduced in numbers through post-breeding dispersal in November, but there's so little gen out there for this time of year that I don't know if they are still likely to be seen. On the other hand, as a winter season breeder, Cape Verde Storm-petrel (a much tougher bird) will be more abundant.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Ben - Cape Verde is of significant interest, not sure if November is possible at this stage because of carry forwards of trips from previous years. Please keep me posted.

The key question about birding Cape Verde in autumn is about the seabirds - do you think all are possible? Boyd's & Cape Verde Shearwaters will likely be much reduced in numbers through post-breeding dispersal in November, but there's so little gen out there for this time of year that I don't know if they are still likely to be seen. On the other hand, as a winter season breeder, Cape Verde Storm-petrel (a much tougher bird) will be more abundant.

Thanks

Mike

Common enough I would have thought not to be missed. Sadly only Red-footed Booby on that list for me.

Ben - the Mauretania trip is very tempting. 8 on that list. I'll drop you a DM with my email address.

All the best

Paul

Can't wait for the trip reports. Yours are probably the best out there.

I managed to see Great Rosefinch on Mt Tetnuldi Svaneti, closer than Kazbegi to Batumi, on the second attempt in an early October trip, but views weren't that great. Also saw the rest of the 'Caucasus Big 5' here except Guldenstadt's Redstart.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back