• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawk in Reno Nevada (1 Viewer)

Granville Leong

Hi Folks,

Just want to confirm that this big boy is a Red-tailed Hawk. I was in an urban park in Reno. This guy flew in and landed on a tree just 10 yards in front of me. If my guess is correct, I thought smaller birds are afraid of him and would stay clear of him. I'm very surprised that a woodworker of some sort stayed in that tree for a few minutes before he flew away. Any idea why and is that a woodpecker?

Thanks--

Granville

Attachments

• IMG_6662_ID.jpg
    IMG_6662_ID.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6661_ID.jpg
    IMG_6661_ID.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_6713_ID.jpg
    IMG_6713_ID.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 69
And in answer to your other question, Red-tailed Hawks aren't very good at catching birds, tending to go more for mammals, so the flicker probably just wasn't in any danger. Smaller birds will also often harass hawks and alert other birds to the danger, trying to get the hawk to leave the area.

Its chunky build, most likely - females of most raptors are bigger and more robust than the males (though Buteos have less of a difference than, say, Accipiters). I think this buteo has its feathers fluffed up making it look chunkier than it is, though...

Its chunky build, most likely - females of most raptors are bigger and more robust than the males (though Buteos have less of a difference than, say, Accipiters). I think this buteo has its feathers fluffed up making it look chunkier than it is, though...

Indeed, but it's seldom possible to sex a buteo--certainly not a Red-tail--by looking at a photograph not containing a bird of the opposite sex for comparison. And that is most definitely the case with the fluffed-up hawk in the present photo.

Indeed, but it's seldom possible to sex a buteo--certainly not a Red-tail--by looking at a photograph not containing a bird of the opposite sex for comparison. And that is most definitely the case with the fluffed-up hawk in the present photo.

I find that the size difference between sexes of Red-tailed Hawks is quite pronounced, making the determination very possible.

I find that the size difference between sexes of Red-tailed Hawks is quite pronounced, making the determination very possible.

You are unusual in that. In the scores if not hundreds of posts on Red-tailed Hawks in the ID forum, I don't remember ever seeing an attempt at sex determination by any of the contributors. I personally can't even reliably tell the sexes of Great Horned Owls apart unless the mate's there for comparison. I can guess at it, sure, but I normally don't even attempt that with Red-tails.

Last edited:

There is a mated pair that has established a hunting territory around my area for over a year. I have seen them flying together many times in the spring and I learned to tell them apart because the smaller male is darker with a prominent belly band and the larger female is a classic light colored Eastern Red-tail. I now can tell which is which when I see it separately but I would never attempt to call the sex of any Red-tailed Hawk that I see elsewhere.

Bob

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back