• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can anyone help ID our morning alarm clock? UK. (1 Viewer)

neilonanhst

Hi everyone.

I have a recording here of a bird which has taken to performing a noisy, yet haunting dawn chorus all of its own in the gardens at the back of our house.

Despite its ability to wake me up on any given morning that we have the bedroom window open, I have yet to actually see the culprit. I have, however managed to make a recording of it, and after some artificial volume enhancement was wondering if anyone could positively ID it for me.

There's a bit of Robin, Wren, Blackbird, Woodpigeon and Ford Mondeo in the background, but the majority of the noises are coming from this one bird. I particularly like the woodpecker-type "yaffle" at 0.21. You'll also notice a quiet little trill at 0.37, just before it launches into more repetitive whistling.

The song tends to consist mostly of these repeated phrases, along with some warbleresque mutterings that you might be able to pick out if you listen closely.

The bird tends to start up its call at 04.30ish at this time of year, and goes on for about 20 minutes or so as it makes a circuit of the gardens to the rear of our house. By 05.15 it is completely silent, and I've never heard it during the day or evening.

My wife suggests that it's probably "a bog-standard garden bird that's learned to mimic", but I'd like to think she's wrong!

If it's any help, this recording was made in Reading, Berkshire at 04.40 this morning.

Can anyone tell me what it is?

Thanks.

Attachments

• bird.mp3
    750.6 KB · Views: 92
Hi neilonanhst,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Moderators and Admin. Glad to have you on board :t:

Song Thrush for me too.

Thanks.

So my wife was right - I've never heard a Song Thrush make those noises before, and I did have a sneaking suspicion it might have been that. I didn't mention that to start with in case I influenced anyone to agree too quickly. ;)

My wife suggests that it's probably "a bog-standard garden bird that's learned to mimic", but I'd like to think she's wrong!

They do mimic other birds as part of their repertoire. We have one here that can do a very good Buzzard impression, and I heard another at the local gravel pits doing Curlew pretty well.

quite a few thrushes can mimic quite well - there was a blackbird round here that sang almost exclusively grey-headed woodpecker!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back