• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird song Hampshire UK (2 Viewers)

Kits

Picture Picker
In the past couple of weeks we’ve heard a bird call/song in our garden which I can’t identify. It’s a very loud and repetitive “dewy dewy dewy dewy” and can be heard from early morning, throughout the day until nightfall.

I’ve listened to bird song/calls of all the common garden birds and warblers, but cannot identify it.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please.

We are in NE Hampshire in a rural location with woodland and fields close by.

Thank you.

In the past couple of weeks we’ve heard a bird call/song in our garden which I can’t identify. It’s a very loud and repetitive “dewy dewy dewy dewy” and can be heard from early morning, throughout the day until nightfall.

I’ve listened to bird song/calls of all the common garden birds and warblers, but cannot identify it.

Does anyone have any suggestions, please.

We are in NE Hampshire in a rural location with woodland and fields close by.

Thank you.
Sounds like Chaffinch rain song or Greenfinch.

I'd agree with trying to get a recording.
Also, do u have a pr of bins? With it being present all day, there's a good chance you'll get a view of it, even a poor view would help to narrow it down. Good luck and keep us posted. 🙂👍

I'd transcribe one of Siskin's calls as 'duty'. Here's the eBird map for June and July: Sign in. They like alders, at least in winter (they hardly breed where I live).

Not nuthatch or siskin; great tit is vaguely like it, but not the sound we are hearing.

OH has recorded it and now can't find it on his phone! 🤣

I'll get him to try again and see if we can check it with Merlin.

The trouble is, our garden is very large and very wooded with lots of shrubs too, but we'll scan it with the bins to see if we can find where this elusive bird is. It may well be that we have discovered a new species! :cool:

Thank you all for your suggestions.

So far I know it is not

blackbird, thrush, black cap
blue tit, coal tit, great tit, long tailed tit, marsh tit
bullfinch, chaffinch, greenfinch, goldfinch
collared dove, wood pigeon, stock dove
dunnock, sparrow
great spotted woodpecker, green woodpecker
jackdaw, rook, crow, jay, magpie
nuthatch, treecreeper, redwing, robin, siskin, wren
buzzard, red kite, kestrel, pheasant
pied wagtail, grey wagtail

all of whom are regulars in our garden.

OH is still fiddling with his phone! :rolleyes::LOL:

Can it be a bird that mimics a non bird sound, for example a car burglar alarm or a mobile phone ? Have heard that form Blackbird, Starling and Song thrush and it was loud but did not fully sound like the originals.

It could be, but I’m pretty sure we've never had blackbirds or song thrushes do that in the 30 years we’ve lived here, and we haven’t had starlings for 25+ years.

At least here this isnt common also , only single birds did that.

Currently we have one Blackbird that performs perfect oystercatcher flight calls and some notes of a neighbours whistled tunes. That neighbour always whistles one same song when he walks our street...

Additionally we have a starling that does a perfect golden oriole and a weak common buzzard (not as loud as buzzard)...

At least here this isnt common also , only single birds did that.

Currently we have one Blackbird that performs perfect oystercatcher flight calls and some notes of a neighbours whistled tunes. That neighbour always whistles one same song when he walks our street...

Additionally we have a starling that does a perfect golden oriole and a weak common buzzard (not as loud as buzzard)...
We had a Blackbird, I kid you not, that sounded like the opening bars of the star-spangled banner.
I seem to recall it was just after an Olympics, so he may have heard it a few times on TVs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back