• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12 year old EL's vs upper mid range bino's (1 Viewer)

Trupoint

Looking to upgrade my optics, working on a deal for a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 model #34008 - the first two serial numbers are 70 so the binoculars are over 12 years old.

I think I can get the Swarovski bought for around $1,100.00 and seller claims they are in excellent condition. But my question is before I spend the money are 12 year EL's optically better than say a new pair of what I consider upper mid range binoculars ( Meopta meostar's, Zen Ray ED3, Vortex , Minox or any other brands you would recommend). Opinions on brand and models are welcome

I can tell you that used ELs routinely sell for more than $1100 here and being a Swaro, you only need to send them in for a full service when you get them. No hassle at all. I can tell you that my 12 year old ELs were appraised by a Swaro dealer here and he offered me about $950 trade in but told me I would get more selling privately. I am going to have them serviced though.

Whether it would still be better optically than the others you mention, I cannot say, but any older EL is still desirable, has good glass and has excellent back-up by Swaro.

I can tell you that used ELs routinely sell for more than $1100 here and being a Swaro, you only need to send them in for a full service when you get them. No hassle at all. I can tell you that my 12 year old ELs were appraised by a Swaro dealer here and he offered me about $950 trade in but told me I would get more selling privately. I am going to have them serviced though.

Whether it would still be better optically than the others you mention, I cannot say, but any older EL is still desirable, has good glass and has excellent back-up by Swaro.
The EDG is better optically being more updated and having ED glass and field flatteners. You will have less CA and a flat field sharp to the edge. Why mess around having to send a binocular to be serviced after you buy it. You usually want to use it. I am sure Swaro has updated their coatings on the EL in 12 years also so you would not be getting the latest coatings. The SV is better than the EL and the EDG is better than the SV.

Dennis, are you suggesting that a used and refurbished EDG-1 is a better proposition? Correct me if I am wrong, but the EDG-1s were faulty and quite quickly replaced by EDG-2s. A refurbished model may be 'fixed' but it certainly hasn't held its value well compared to an older EL!

Servicing may not be needed, but Swaro has built such a reputation in this regard that it is something to consider and take advantage of if needed. By all accounts, Swaro will often upgrade lenses/coatings too, or so consumer reports suggest.

An EDG may well be better optically than an original EL. I think that there is quite some debate on here about whether the EDG-2 is better than the SV though! However, in terms of value, reliability, support and re-sale, I think I would rather risk my money on a used EL rather than a used/refurb EDG-1.

Looking to upgrade my optics, working on a deal for a pair of Swarovski EL 8.5x42 model #34008 - the first two serial numbers are 70 so the binoculars are over 12 years old.

I think I can get the Swarovski bought for around $1,100.00 and seller claims they are in excellent condition. But my question is before I spend the money are 12 year EL's optically better than say a new pair of what I consider upper mid range binoculars ( Meopta meostar's, Zen Ray ED3, Vortex , Minox or any other brands you would recommend). Opinions on brand and models are welcome

My 8.5x42 EL are over 12 years old, but they are still one of my favorite full-sized bins. I agree that coatings have improved over the past decade (I have a number of much more recent top-end models), but I can't agree that the difference has been of much practical importance relative to the old EL. The EL was a leader in its day and featured very neutral color balance (as is now more commonplace) and the brightness we associate with dielectric prism coatings (also now more commonplace). It has a huge sweet spot, superb contrast, and controls CA very well (I wouldn't say the latter about the 8x32 EL, and it may even be the case that later production faster focus ELs have more CA). My biggest gripe with that vintage of EL is the focus ratio--it isn't the best choice if you do a lot of butterflying and other close work. I don't think the Meoptas would be a step up in brightness, color balance, sweet spot size, or CA control. I don't consider anything from the other brands you listed to be the equal of the 8.5x EL as a birding binocular. I'm not as impressed with their overall optical character (I don't find the view as natural, relaxing--reasons differ by model), and most have focus that stiffens considerably in the cold. My salary is no higher now than it was 12 years ago, so it does amaze me that a used EL sells for $100 less than I bought mine new, but I guess price is still relative to current options.

--AP

Last edited:
Dennis, are you suggesting that a used and refurbished EDG-1 is a better proposition? Correct me if I am wrong, but the EDG-1s were faulty and quite quickly replaced by EDG-2s. A refurbished model may be 'fixed' but it certainly hasn't held its value well compared to an older EL!

Servicing may not be needed, but Swaro has built such a reputation in this regard that it is something to consider and take advantage of if needed. By all accounts, Swaro will often upgrade lenses/coatings too, or so consumer reports suggest.

An EDG may well be better optically than an original EL. I think that there is quite some debate on here about whether the EDG-2 is better than the SV though! However, in terms of value, reliability, support and re-sale, I think I would rather risk my money on a used EL rather than a used/refurb EDG-1.
"However, in terms of value, reliability, support and re-sale, I think I would rather risk my money on a used EL rather than a used/refurb EDG-1"

In the USA I would say Nikon is every bit as good as Swarovski in these areas. I would rank the Nikon higher in value and reliability. The Nikon EDG in either form I or II has superior optics. If you had trouble with the EDG just send it in to Nikon and they would probably send you an EDG II free of charge like they did me. The Nikon definitely has a superior focus than the Swarovski if that is important to you.

Without any tangible evidence I personally would tend to buy new mid price bins in favour of second hand expensive. The exception would be if it was bought as a collector's item.
I would certainly want to compare them with the new Zeiss HDs and if available, the Nikon SEs and HGLs which I think you call Premier.
The old Swarovskis may give you more of a status symbol perhaps (by appointment to HM Queen).

I personally would be happy to pay for a used optic of that pedigree with the caveat that I could try it first.
A great optic of a previous generation will still be a joy to use, and can often be better made than more modern fair.

Nikon High Grade binoculars are available today for less than £1000 in the UK. At their launch they were Nikon's top range binocular and a worthy alternative to Swarovski in terms of optical quality. I would suggest a new HG bought new is as well made and a less risky buy than the second hand Swaro with 12 years of uncertain use.
I am trying to give a specific example in this case rather than a generalised statement. You may be right about the modern fare, for example the new Zeiss Conquests HD, but I have no experience of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back