• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sunbirds near Bamenda/ Cameroon in April 2017 (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

These images of sunbirds were shot south of Bamenda / Cameroon. I think, they said at that time, there are Orange-tufted Sunbird. But I am struggling not to see Splendid Sunbird. I do not see a size comparison. „Field Guide to the Birds of Western Africa“ (Helm Field Guides) von Nik Borrow und Ron Demey does not show any yellow for the females of Orange-tufted Sunbird – but the text does so. Please help for ID.
Cheers
Johannes

Attachments

• Splendid Sunbird_DSG34151.jpg
    Splendid Sunbird_DSG34151.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Splendid Sunbird_DSG34156.jpg
    Splendid Sunbird_DSG34156.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Splendid Sunbird_DSG34186.jpg
    Splendid Sunbird_DSG34186.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 30
The second picture does look like an immature Splendid Sunbird to me - overall coloration and definitely a black throat.

The first could certainly be a female.

I'm not sure on the third. Belly looks a little dark for what I see in the Princeton Field Guide (only one I have for the region) for Splendid Sunbird. But the only one I see that matches that coloration is the Northern Double-Collared Sunbird - but it really doesn't match that at all.

What kind of location is this? My guide book (Sinclair & Ryan) says Orange-tufted is ""restricted to savannas around the Congo basin".

The female is tricky on this view but Splendid is a strong possibility with that dark lore.

I agree with Jim that the second bird looks good for immature Splendid - green-blue shoulder patch, turquoise rump, short tail.

The third bird is too long-tailed for Splendid IMO and doesn't look right for Northern Double-collared (no red on the lower breast, rump greenish, not violet). Orange-tufted is a possibility but it would depend on the location.

Hi,
Thanks a lot for the comments. Very helpful. The location is in the hills of the Bamenda Highlands not far from the crossing to lake Awing. I think the next locations was Santa. My „Field Guide to the Birds of Western Africa“ (Helm Field Guides) von Nik Borrow und Ron Demey says that it occurs around edges of montane forest, in forest-savanna mosaic, shrubby hillsides. The Bamenda Highlands are listed as one of the locations in Cameroon by Field Guide to the Birds of Western Africa“.

Sorry,
some more remarks on the sunbird. In my „Field Guide to the Birds of Kenia“ (Helm Field Guides) by Dale A. Zimmerman et. al. they show a dirty yellow female with a wash of black on the throat (Plate 107) – what the „Field Guide to the Birds of Western Africa“ (Helm Field Guides) by Nik Borrow and Ron Demey does not show. Really tricky.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back