• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular wishlist (1 Viewer)

Cartman

I am pretty much set on a pair of Hawke Frontier ED Binoculars 8x43 as my main set but I am a little concerned that with a set of 8x43 I will need to be pretty close to the birds to get a really good view, am I right in thinking this. I currently have a pair of pretty crap 10x50s and for longer shots I was thinking of getting a set of wait for it.....20x80s, they are less than £100 so obviously not the best quality and are so big I will need a tripod but I was wondering if anyone has used a aet of these and what they are like.

Or maybe instead of the big bins I should go for a spotting scope for long distance stuff

Last edited:
I am pretty much set on a pair of Hawke Frontier ED Binoculars 8x43 as my main set but I am a little concerned that with a set of 8x43 I will need to be pretty close to the birds to get a really good view, am I right in thinking this. I currently have a pair of pretty crap 10x50s and for longer shots I was thinking of getting a set of wait for it.....20x80s, they are less than £100 so obviously not the best quality and are so big I will need a tripod but I was wondering if anyone has used a aet of these and what they are like.

Or maybe instead of the big bins I should go for a spotting scope for long distance stuff
You´ll get tons of advice if you check through the threads, or google for birding-binocular advice. The Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 sound like top-class bins and superb value, and for general birding the maximum magnification one is advised to use is 8x or 10x. For longer distance use, wait and buy a good scope. That´s a whole other issue, but I think you´ll regret it if you buy a 20x pair of bins for general birding. Best of Luck.

You´ll get tons of advice if you check through the threads, or google for birding-binocular advice. The Hawke Frontier ED 8x43 sound like top-class bins and superb value, and for general birding the maximum magnification one is advised to use is 8x or 10x. For longer distance use, wait and buy a good scope. That´s a whole other issue, but I think you´ll regret it if you buy a 20x pair of bins for general birding. Best of Luck.

Cheers for the advice, it's a minefield this hobby when your just starting and have no gear whatsoever :C

Definitely going to get the Hawkes, gonna wait to get a 2nd hand scope next year

How about something like the Nikon RA III 82, it's around £255 and another £100 for a 20x - 60x eyepiece

Last edited:
I have 8x32 and a scope 23x.
Only item on my wishlist are Canon 18x50 IS. Practical in combination with small bins and good alternative for the scope sometimes.
I've considered buying cheapish 20x80's but the scope is much more practical with only half the weight. However, a stabilised 18x bin is a desirable gadget, as I like details on a bird. I keep missing the smaller details when I track flying birds with the scope, because the fixed position on the tripod is less 'natural' than using handheld bins. Even the smoothest tripod head cannot beat the fluent movements of your arms and body when you're handholding your optics.
And try to pick up high flying raptors right above your head with a scope, and follow there movements. Maybe others have no problems with that, but I DO.
Example: a small bird of prey flying and soaring briefly straight above me, this week. Caught it with the 32mm's. I could tell it wasn't a Hobby, nor a Kestrel so switched to scope - lost all track of the bird! A possible Redfoot and no way to confirm.
Had I had 18x IS bins it wouldn't have been an unsolved mystery, I'm sure.
But sadly these Canons are beyond any reasonable budget of mine now.

I would even buy them for casual use. They're only half the price of top-end bins. Wish I bought them two years ago instead of the ridiculously expensive 7x42 FL's with which I struggled for 20 months before I realised these weren't for me. D'oh!

Fortunately I lost every interest in all other top-end bins since I got my really lightweight 525 grams Minox 8x32's. These are such a pleasure to use that I have them as my only allround pair of bins now.

Regards,

Ronald

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back