• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Falmouth Birding (1 Viewer)

College Reservoir

Another productive visit to College..

1 ring-necked duck
2 bitterns
(amazing views, one of them was just 5 metres from me and thought I couldnt see)
1 kingfisher
4 goldeneye (inc. 1 drake)
20+ snipe

Yesterday at Ruan Lanihorne

Sun brought out me and the birds.

In my garden
7 Jackdaw
3 Rook
4 Great Tit
11 Blue Tit
9 Chaffinch
1 Robin
1 Great Spotted Woodpecker male
1 Dunnock
2 Pheasant
2 Jay
1 Magpie
1 Greenfinch
1 Sparrowhawk male
1 Marsh Tit
1 Coal Tit
1 long Tailed Tit
2 Blackbird
2 Wood pigeon
2 Buzzard
1 House sparrow male

Out in and round the estuary
2 Little Egret
189+ Wigeon
2 Redshank
7 Shelduck
2 Crow
1 Wren
1 Teal male
1 Kestrel female
1 Tawny owl heard in the woods
Suspect there were lapwings further out but to much heat haze to see

Not a bird but saw a Comma butterfly too

Penryn estuary

A nice surprise at gorrangorras - my first ever knot in cornwall.

Also, got close to a red-breasted merganser at Flushing.. ended up slipped on the seaweed and busting my camera lens on a rock :-C

Attachments

• RBMsmall.jpg
    RBMsmall.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 34
  • knotsmall.jpg
    knotsmall.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 34
  • RBM3small.jpg
    RBM3small.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 35
A nice surprise at gorrangorras - my first ever knot in cornwall.

Also, got close to a red-breasted merganser at Flushing.. ended up slipped on the seaweed and busting my camera lens on a rock :-C

Knot bad ... and the RB Merg pics good too ;)

Bit of a downer on the camera though ... is it terminal?

Was going to ask if you got pics at College res the other day ... Also noticed frogspawn just before I left on the 16th feb - guess it's everywhere now?

Sun brought out me and the birds.

In my garden
7 Jackdaw
3 Rook ...

Not a bird but saw a Comma butterfly too

That's a good garden list! I'm taking part in the 'Garden (Yard) List 2012' thread elsewhere ... however only had one bird 'properly' in the garden this year (Meadow Pipit mind) ... although I do have a reasonable view.

Knot bad ... and the RB Merg pics good too ;)

Bit of a downer on the camera though ... is it terminal?

Was going to ask if you got pics at College res the other day ... Also noticed frogspawn just before I left on the 16th feb - guess it's everywhere now?

Haha, cheers!

Yeh, the manual focus is jammed and there's a hefty dent in the side - at least its last photo was a half decent one ;)

Yeh a tad frogspawn here and there. I'd been down there between lectures so didnt have my camera. I would have been in the running for wildlife photographer of the year if I'd snapped that bittern from where I was (or maybe not) :-O

hi guys went to college earlier for walk around 1100 parked in between the two reservoirs went through gates walked left handside first time been here not sure if you can go right.so walked towards asda along muddy path
couldn't see the bittern not exactly sure where it is, I seen
1 great crested grebe
8 tufted ducks
4 golden eyes
4 Canada geese
3 moorhen
4 coots
1 heron
there was two birds together near the tufted ducks but not sure what they were bit further out they seemed to have black with white bits plumage
looked more grebe then duck not little grebe
in woods
2 robin
4 wren
3 long tail tits
3 blue tits
1 great tit
nice to go somewhere new

hi guys went to college earlier for walk around 1100 parked in between the two reservoirs went through gates walked left handside first time been here not sure if you can go right.so walked towards asda along muddy path
couldn't see the bittern not exactly sure where it is, I seen
1 great crested grebe
8 tufted ducks
4 golden eyes
4 Canada geese
3 moorhen
4 coots
1 heron
there was two birds together near the tufted ducks but not sure what they were bit further out they seemed to have black with white bits plumage
looked more grebe then duck not little grebe
in woods
2 robin
4 wren
3 long tail tits
3 blue tits
1 great tit
nice to go somewhere new

If you walked the left/west side (having crossed a little bridge after a couple of hundred yards), then that is the other side with poorer views of the lake. The right hand side is accessed just before that bridge, narrow pathway through the sedges near where some large oaks(?) has been partially chainsawed. Bittern(s) anywhere in the yellowy sedges/along the edges, but not seen every time.

It's a nice spot indeed.

As to the mystery birds, they could have been one of the two smaller grebe species (Slavonian/Black-necked) ... or partially moulted Goldeneye?

hi dan thanks for that yes I went lefthandside few others walked that way,so thought that might be safer option,the view was very restricted till got 3/4 along lake found the opening looking down in to corner and back up to the reed bay that comes out bit that's where the golden eyes were and the two I coudnt Id looking through book they were similar to slavionian grebe by there back,shame have no scope,
be good if anyone else was there today that seen them.
I will try walking righthand side next time then decided try there after stithians dam not alot up there today too windy.

This morning at Pendennis - 3 Purple Sandpipers and an adult Med Gull. Swanpool had a rather showy Water Rail hunting through the wet leaf litter, and this afternoons high tide at Gorrangorras, Penryn river; 4 Greenshank, 30+ Redshank and 3 Knot.

Sand Martins and stuff any day soon I guess ...

College Reservoir this evening -

Bittern showing well on the side of the island, waterfowl right down since I was there last (3 weeks ago), but 4 Goldeneye still, and surprised to see the drake Ring-necked Duck still, hanging out with a few Tufties behind the island.

Bittern 1
Grey Heron 3
Cormorant 15+ roost (and more coming in)
Ring-necked Duck 1
Tufted Duck 16+
Mallard 1m
Teal 2+
Goldeneye 4 (3f, 1 moulting m)
Wigeon 2
Canada Goose 4
Mute Swan 2
Moorhen 16+
Coot 23
Snipe 9
BH Gull 1
Herring Gull 50+
GBBGull 3
LBBGull 1

Footpath works going on apace (looks like they're making a new motorway tbh), lots of footprints down the eastern side, and when I arrived there a reasonably attractive woman with very curly blonde hair on her mobile, and two rather large wet dogs, throwing bread out into the water.

Gorrangoras a little earlier, on the rising tide -

Teal c.20
Redshank 20+
Greenshank 2
Knot 2
Turnstone 5
Little Grebe 1
Mute Swan 3

Last edited:
went college earlier today to find the bittern and there was two on show I was watching them for about 45mins one kept staying low but the other was feeding and head/neck was always up straight I've finally got to see them properly and not few seconds,couldn't locate the ring neck duck but heard and seen 2 great spotted woodpeckers drumming away.after that went to stithians find the bittern there which was reported couldn't locate it one of the residents living near by heard it this morning.
4 great crested grebes 2 pairing up with each other with little display

Interesting - dogs throwing bread. That's a year tick.

Now I'm sure you purposefully ignored that comma ... ;)

Or maybe it was because they thought they were hotdogs ...

... seriously, it was a bit odd. The wildfowl are fairly wild and don't come to bread that I'm aware of (would be a great location for a Hooded Merganser tbh), there's not much there now anyway, and 2 massive dogs plunging into the water aren't going to help things ...

thanks dan the swallow was opposite the gulf garage on the wires,I was driving past had to stop to have another look,
thanks for the info on the bittern they were out on the reeds when arrived I watched one for about 45mins,the other 15 mins he kept low down,shame I haven't camera or scope yet to get pics and better look at them
I guess they will disappear soon thou.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back