• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BIGBY Birding 2008 (1 Viewer)

Having heard of a recent influx of Crossbill i went out looking for some of my own yesterday (well, actually, just one would have done ;)). the idea was also to get some miles in on my fixed-wheeler as that's what i'm hoping (to be fit enough) to do the Dunwich Dynamo bike ride in July on. Unfortunately no Crossbills but, and this is a big but for me, i did come across 2 Common Buzzard* over the Five Bells pub at Wrentham / South Cove, on the way to Minsmere. Amongst other things in the general area also saw herd of (c.20) Red Deer up the hill from Scotts Hall, an Adder on the bridleway track through Walberswick, and a Bittern from the aptly named Bittern Hide,. Several marsh harriers and Green Woodpecker too, All in all a good day.

If (??) anyone else fancies the Dynamo (200 km overnight of 19th - 20th July, East London to Dunwich) let me know and maybe we can arrange a joint effort or few hours in Minsmere & a slow (!!) ride back up the coast after...

Long Post Warning.

Thursdays ride out took on a bit more significance after learning earlier on in the week that my chemo's done what it was meant to and i'm effectively all clear now. For some reason though, i don't know why, it wasn't an easy thing to take in so a ride out would allow time to think things over and maybe catch up on my list a little.

So decided on setting off up Horsey Rd and it wasn't long til things got going. In the early morning quiet time before all the cars came out to play, half mile short of the mill and a pair of Cranes startled from their roost just inside a field and gave me one of the best experiences i have been lucky enough to have had with these birds. After startling up and circling round they then headed north, toward the mill, at a height of c.30 - 40 ft (10 - 15 metres) off the ground just inside the field boundary, with me trailing them matching their speed of about 10 - 12 mph. It wasn't until shortly before the mill however they turned sharply left, over the road and away over the treeline.

Next up was Sea Palling and the Red Backed Shrike*, at my 3rd time of trying. Although it was a bit fidgety the brief periods it remained still allowed me to properly id the first shrike i've ever seen. Not bad, the cranes, a shrike, and it still wasn't 8.30.

The quiet back road out to Lessingham didn't produce too much more apart from Yellow Wagtails, Green Woodpecker, a circling Sparrowhawk and some overflying Golden Plovers. And the realisation that i'd actually stumbled across the lost part of cycle route 30, something that's been a bit of a mystery to me for a while mainly due to the lack of signposting.

My planned stop at Walcott cafe didn't happen as it doesn't open til 10 so all i could do was make a note for next time and make other arrangements, and as my legs were starting to ache it was fortunate to see Overstrand Clifftop cafe well and truly open when i got there, so i settled down to a mug of tea and broke a tooth on a fruit slice (don't ask because i don't know !). An hour after leaving there and i was feeling the several-degree drop in temperature of the cooling sea breeze down the hill into Salthouse, and then onto Cley visitor centre.

Oh good the Spoonbills were still about and advice was received that my best bet would be to make for North Hide, which i duly did via Beach Rd where i'd hoped to lock my bike against the cafe railings. The only slight flaw in this plan came with the cafe's current state of non-existance, quite what's happened to it i have no idea but it simply wasn't there. So the only options open were to either bike back to the centre and walk, which i felt wasn't a good choice as i aren't a good walker, or push my bike to the hide. And initially it wasn't too bad, but with slim road bike tyres sinking ever-more in to the shingle under scope & lunchbox laden panniers it was definitely not getting easier.

North Hide eventually materialised and my sore & achey legs were gald of a seat, immediately all was well again because on the scrape sat 5 Spoonbills* . Dodgy handheld pics attatched below. On the scrape also - 2 Spotted Redshank*, Ruff*, and a Little Gull* that was given to me another birder in the hide, that i would never have got myself. Cheers if you are reading this.

Out of the hide again to continue the trek along the beach to the East Bank, achiness interspersed with plenty of Avocet & Lapwings, 1 or 2 Ringed Plover and several fly-over Sandwich, Common and Little Terns. The East Bank itself didn't shed anything new but there were 2 more Spotted Redshank and up to 3 Marsh Harriers over the main reedbed.

At the end of the East Bank the 49 miles home now seemed an awful long way and was no real surprise after a few miles the hills were beginning to beat me and i had to get off and push .... eeeekkk ... and getting to sheringham train station just in time for the train home via Norwich was rather more temptation than i could turn down. The one thing it did prove to me however is that i will not be doing the Dunwich Dynamo i mentioned above, as i am not nearly fit enough. I guess coming on the back of 7 months chemo hasn't been the ideal preparation but in the overall scheme of things at the minute i consider that to be of very minor importance. i would though be interested in hearing of anyone elses expolits in doing it.

Bigby list now at 109 sp.

A final query - whilst walking along the shingle beach i came across a number of these flowers, some actually in flower but several more not in flower. I haven't (to the best of my knowledge) seen them before and can't find them in my Collins flowers id book, so does anyone know what they are ?

Attachments

• cleyflower1.jpg
    cleyflower1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 57
  • cleyflower2.jpg
    cleyflower2.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 51
  • cleyspoonbills.jpg
    cleyspoonbills.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Hi Karl

Haven't deserted y'all on this thread, just not been able to get about much at the moment - did go for a drive today and short walk but won't post here!

GREAT NEWS your end of things - don't overdo it mate!

Well done on getting some target species today - good read.

Karl,

A great days birding and cycling!

The flowers are Yellow-horned Poppy Glaucium flavum, a pretty flower found on our shingle coast. Sea Pea is also out in flower at the moment.

Gi

Have not been out much later, mainly on the patch. I did my last two BTO tetrads and saw a Spotted Flycatcher in the first, doubly pleased as a good record and my first of the year. Unfortunately I only saw it briefly - had to carry on with the count. Then last week we had a moth night in the local park and I was informed that up the road from where I work my friends had watched a Spotted Flycatcher at Suffolk Wildlife Trust education centre at Foxburrow Farm. The next available dinner time I cycled up there and watched it 40 mins, such a treat as it is such a rare sighting round here these days.

The other BIGBY tick I've got recently was a Litlle Ringed Plover on the river, a first for the patch as well. A lot of waders are coming back plus others moving through including a Whimbrel, Common Sandpipers and Greenshank.

Gi

Cheers Deborah, no i shant be overdoing anything. I reckon on probably staying round here for the next few weeks' outings, maybe look in on Breydon / Burgh Castle - ish and try to stock up on a few passage waders.

Gi, one of the Poppy's eh, i actually had thought of that briefly but discounted it as it wasn't red. But yes i can see it (and the correct page in Collins) now you've said it. Thanks.

Once again I can't compete with Karl's epic efforts to increase his BIGBY numbers, and have to resort to posting phots in the hope of gaining some sympathy! Not only am I finding it more difficult to get out and about at the moment, but the little critters are getting harder to see! It has to be one of the best things about early Spring that there are few leaves on the trees and 'ickle birdies can't hide away in impenetrable greenery. I have lost count of the number of singing bushes I have encountered in recent weeks!

The shots below were taken on a recent trip to another trawler, this time off the Sussex coast, playing with my new camera. Deborah, I suspect the juvenile kittiwake may well have been one of yours.

Richard

Attachments

• GBBG.JPG
    GBBG.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 42
  • Herring Gull.JPG
    Herring Gull.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 39
  • GBBG 1.JPG
    GBBG 1.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Kittiwake.JPG
    Kittiwake.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 48
Nice pics Richard - the Kittiwake may well be part of the Newhaven/Splash Point colony, although it's not one of this year's youngsters it's a 1s (2cy) I believe.

Thought, as it's lounging down on page 2, that it's time this was bumped up again. And what better thing to talk about than bikes, and cheap bikes too....

As we (in the UK anyhow) are now coming into the time of year for bike sales...

... I thought it perhaps reasonable to mention Evans Cycles now have their online sales with various bargains such as fivers and tenners off locks, tools, lights etc and some pretty reasonable money knocked off Complete bikes (£100 off Dawes galaxy for example).

(and no i aren't on commision !)

Thought, as it's lounging down on page 2, that it's time this was bumped up again. And what better thing to talk about than bikes, and cheap bikes too....

As we (in the UK anyhow) are now coming into the time of year for bike sales...

... I thought it perhaps reasonable to mention Evans Cycles now have their online sales with various bargains such as fivers and tenners off locks, tools, lights etc and some pretty reasonable money knocked off Complete bikes (£100 off Dawes galaxy for example).

(and no i aren't on commision !)

Well I have 3 bikes already so I think it might be a bit much to get another, although the two at work are mountain bikes and I have thought it might be better to have a road bike. I do need to get a rack for my recent mountain bike to put the tripod on.

Have been out on the patch lately where returning waders are slowly building up - Dunlins, Redshank and Ringed Plovers increasing with a few Greenshank and Common Sandpipers. The Common Terns make me laugh, there was an adult with two juveniles resting on a boat yesterday with one juvenile constantly calling, begging for food.

It's been strange birding recently as I've been using my original bins that I got as a present from my grandad 29 years ago - my usual pair I've sent to Cleyspy for realignment, which I'm getting back on Tuesday :t:

Gi

Not been out and about much either what with work etc. Feeling stronger than in recent weeks, decided to try a walk over the cliffs yesterday evening but this was after standing all day at Splash Point trying to recruit people to join RSPB - but really getting withdrawal symptoms so made the effort! So now really having trouble moving at all this morning and due to go to work in an hour!!

Constant stream of walkers, dogs, backpackers etc, so 5pm was probably the worst time to go birding. On the top of the cliffs, a very nice family group of Wheatear, c.Whitethroat, Skylark, Linnet etc. Sign waders are returning with a very vocal Greenshank heard as I reached the descent path into Cuckmere Haven. Several Curlew flying over along with usual flocks of Gull sorts. Rock Pipit and Meadow Pipit around too. Along the river on the mudflats, the Greenshank heard earlier - a pair. A flock of 20c Dunlin. Unfortunately a pair of canoeists paddled up river shouting at each other and everything scarpered.

Does anyone know anything about Ladybirds - this two-spotted one landed on me - not sure if it's native or not? Or just unusual?

Attachments

• 7sisters.JPG
    7sisters.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 7sisters2.JPG
    7sisters2.JPG
    121.2 KB · Views: 44
  • ladybird.JPG
    ladybird.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 51
Yeah go on Gi, just one more...

Lovely scenery you have there Deborah but, no sorry, i don't know anything about ladybirds. I haven't been out too much recently either, think i'm still getting used to my results from last months hospital visit. Had a few Turnstones and Dunlin on Caister beach and i did venture down to Breydon water one day last week but having read the tide times completely wrong all i saw was 3 Little Egrets and miles & miles of mud, in general though i believe the waders are slowly returning so maybe i will try Breydon again before long. This mornings ride round Yarmouth sea front weren't a whole heap better but did manage a few passing Meadow Pipits & Linnets, Kestrel up on North Beach not far from the Little Tern enclosure plus a flock c.200 Starlings & couple of Med. Gulls down the new outer harbour development. Down by the tea van i was buzzed a couple of times by a rather large bee, which i guess (?) was looking for somewhere to hibernate and saw 2 overflying Swallows plus a Swift along South Quay.

Hi Deborah,
Don't know but think the bug could be a Harlequin - if so a non-native invader.
Would be worth posting on the insect forum.
Sorry to hear you're still not fully fit.
H

Interesting link here to Harlequin and some other ladybird recognition - it does look (well, to me anyway) a bit like one of the colour variants towards the bottom of the page, so maybe you have something there Halfy

Awsome scenery you've got down there Deborah, and glad to see this thread still running!!

Not seen anything like the ladybird in the picture myself but I guess a few go un-noticed while squinting upward!!!!

Karl, keep meaning to get the Norwich-Yarmouth train head out for a walk around breydon but always seem to end up in Sheringham!! Will probably make the effort this winter as I'm rather keen on the area, though perhaps more so from the Burgh Castle side!!

Matt

... and glad to see this thread still running!!

Just ;)

Terribly wet and windy afternoon at Pagham/Siddlesham - Stopped off at the Ferry Pool on way down to Church Norton - rain and wind made viewing a little tough and flying hard for a lone Kestrel. Black-tailed Godwits, a few Common Sands and one solitary Dunlin right on far side amongst the Shelduck. Fair number of Teal etc.

On the way to the CN hide, juvenile GS Woodpeckercalling from top of birch tree and single Great Crested Grebe on the channel, Cetti's w., Golden Plover and juv, Med Gulls x 4, Little Egrets. Ringed Plover and Turnstone a plenty along with the usual Redshanks etc. Grey Partridge heard in fields. One Greenshank. At Church Norton, picked up a Whimbrel along with more ubiquitous Curlews also lots of Dunlin, Knot, Grey Plover, Sandwich and Common Terns. Bumped into Paulfromtheden at CN where we picked up an obliging female Common Redstart.

Along the severals, very windy indeed! One Pochard and a Common Gull on reed pool a few Linnet braving it out on the shingles. Stopped off at the Ferry Pool at Siddlesham again on the way home: Very nice winter/non-breeding Spotted Redshank close to road giving good views. Half a dozen Red-legged Partridge on the mudflat of all places.

Rather a heavy going and short day but good to be out and about. Nothing to add to Year List though.

... Karl, keep meaning to get the Norwich-Yarmouth train head out for a walk around breydon but always seem to end up in Sheringham!! Will probably make the effort this winter as I'm rather keen on the area, though perhaps more so from the Burgh Castle side!!

Matt

Hi Matt, sorry, i see you posted that 2 weeks ago ( :eek!: ) but i've only just seen it. Yes that is a slightly better area then the northern (Asda) side of Breydon which isn't too pleasant *sometimes*. Only thing i guess you'd need to get the bus to BC but tbh i aren't sure which one, or you could walk both ways.

Having a bit of a mid-summer lull myself, but now my head's been forcibly removed from the Olympics (as it's ended :C ) and the weather seemed quite reasonable today, i may try and head out somewhere in the next few days.

BIGBY twitch

News of a Citrine Wagtail at Landguard this morning gave me a quandary of whether to go today or wait until the weekend. I took the plunge and worked through my dinner break to leave off early - the buses worked well, one from the village into the nearest town, a cross country bus - which I'd not used before - to Felixstowe, then jammily connecting with a bus down to the docks. This saved a lot of time instead of going into Ipswich then on to Felixstowe (twice the distance).

Across Landguard Common there were few birds, but at the point where I bumped into some friends, the Citrine Wagtail showed well, along with 3 Yellow Wagtails, Wheatears, a Tree Pipit and lots of Linnets. A smart bird and I'm glad I took the decision to go. The only down side, a mate turned up and we said it's just out there when they all flew up, all the other birds were relocated but it seems the Citrine was not seen again.

Gi

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back