• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crow Nests (1 Viewer)

Brosnabirder

Ireland
Hello all.

Do Hooded/Carrion Crows ever nest on electricity pylons?
I came across quite a large nest on a pylon recently. It was far away and I did not have time to check it out then. It did however look big even at distance. Just trying to rule out Hooded Crow as the owner.
Is this possible on the basis that it was out in the open high up on an electricity pylon? Possibly as high up as 30 metres but difficult to tell at distance with trees partly obscuring the base of the pylon. Must check it out later anyway.
Has anybody seen Hooded Crow nests in such a situation?

Last edited:
Thanks Poecile,
Its most likely a Hooded Crow nest I saw then. What threw me was the almost complete lack of shelter for the nest on a pylon. More used to seeing them in trees where there is at least a small bit of shelter

Rooks, Buzzards etc have all been recorded nesting on pylons. I think Rooks do it quite often, though I haven't ever seen it myself.

Two carrion crows nests last year on pylons between Kingswood and Dunswell roundabout near the industrial estate. One very exposed on an arm, how it didn't fall off I'll never know. Other was up at the top just under the point sat on top of a flat solid ledge so it had a roof!
Will let ya know if they come back this year.

Are we allowed to take oictures of nests yet? these would obviously be done from an area where people are up and down on foot all the time anyway, or are we still banned?

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back