• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sensitive wildlife camera to capture blue tits coming and going from nest (1 Viewer)

Happyowl

United Kingdom
Hi,

For the first year ever some blue tits decided to nest in the box I put up two years ago. I was over the moon and the past couple of weeks have been so happy for me watching the parents come and go.

As soon as I realised they were there I bought a Usogood wildlife camera which I set up on our garden fence about 3 metres from the bird box to watch them come and go but no matter what I did (set it to high sensitivity, tried re-positioning it for a better angle), it didn’t pick up any of their movement. It did pick up me and my husband walking about or our dog - but no blue tits!

Then, last Sunday whilst we were out, the blue tits all left and so the chance to film them was lost. I would have loved to see the babies coming out of the box and see how many there were. I checked the box last night (have left the nest there) because I was certain they had gone and found two dead chicks (one very small pushed right down into the nest, the other one larger on top of the nest) and an unhatched egg which was sad but I’m hoping this is not that uncommon. We gave them a little burial in the garden last night before bed and said a few words.

Anyway, I’m hoping the blue tits will return next year but in the meantime I’d really love some recommendations for a good wildlife camera that is sensitive enough to pick up their movement to be positioned outside of the nest box, about 3m away, please. I’d like to put one up asap to capture the other birds in the garden also. I don’t think I’ll get a nest box camera for inside the box as I’d get upset seeing any chicks suffering/dying, although I do realise it’s nature. I’m happy to invest in a good camera that will capture as much detail as possible.

Thank you in advance.

Trail cam type wildlife cameras just don't have the reaction times to capture the fleeting movement of a blue tit flying into a box. They might activate but all you will get is a blur at best.

Trail cam type wildlife cameras just don't have the reaction times to capture the fleeting movement of a blue tit flying into a box. They might activate but all you will get is a blur at best.
Any other ideas then? Maybe you'll have to have one running 24/7, I haven't tried setting up cameras yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back