• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIY moth traps - any tips for improvements? (1 Viewer)

Denis said:
Peter,

I was wondering if I could also trouble you for the template for the Robinson trap cone? Alternatively, some information as to how to calculate its dimensions would be appreciated. I'm keen to get another couple of traps going but the only viable financial option for me is DIY.

Many thanks

Denis

Sorry I haven't picked this up till now. Yes, I can give you templates for the cone and vanes. I will contact you via email with my phone number. Give me a ring and we can sort out what you require.

All the best

Pete H

Sorry I haven't picked this up till now. Yes, I can give you templates for the cone and vanes. I will contact you via email with my phone number. Give me a ring and we can sort out what you require.

All the best

Pete H

Peter et al,

Peter also very kindly sent me a template for the Robinson trap and following subsequent emails and telephone conversations I made one. It can be seen on my website at:

www.tcdigitalphotography.co.uk

and since completion has been in use regularly.

Thank you Peter for your help on this one :clap:

TC

Well done on both the trap-building (and the explanations) and the website, Tony. The photos are excellent. Is there anything you cannot do?!
One or two of the 'rare' birds are not captioned. I'm sure a lot of birders would know them, but what is the godwit, for example?
Ken

Well done on both the trap-building (and the explanations) and the website, Tony. The photos are excellent. Is there anything you cannot do?!
One or two of the 'rare' birds are not captioned. I'm sure a lot of birders would know them, but what is the godwit, for example?
Ken

Hi Ken,
Thanks for the comments - always appreciated. Gallery 1 is the first I worked on and never got round to putting in the titles. However they are, from left to right going down the rows:
Row 1
Bittern Great Grey Shrike Greenish Warbler Night Heron White Headed Duck
Row 2
Long Billed Dowitcher White Storks Common Rosefinch American Robin Squacco Heron
Row 3
Wrykneck Red Breasted Flycatcher Cream Coloured Courser Lesser Yellow Legs Hulme' Yellow Browed Warbler.

The only trouble is you have to go the birds whereas with the moths they come to you. Most were taken in the back garden with one or two taken in Tyneside at Tom Tams.

Thanks again

TC

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back