• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gulls for ID - Varanger, Norway (1 Viewer)

bubo_bubo

Hi, am the friend of Cristian Mihai, who took Pics on February 28th – 3rd of march 2013.
DSE54685.jpg

DSE54699.jpg

DSE54733.jpg

DSE54761.jpg

DSE54779.jpg

Thank you for help.
Cheers
Johannes

1. from left to right: 3cy iceland gull (?), 3cy herring gull (?), adult herring gull, 2cy female glaucous ? or another iceland? - har with this small resolution
2. a 2cy glaucous gull and 5+ adult herring gulls. leftmost bird probably also a 3cy herring gull.
3. 2cy glaucous
4. 3cy(?) glaucous
5. looks like the same bird as in 4.

4. 3cy(?) glaucous
5. looks like the same bird as in 4.

Hi Lou,
Thank you very much for your quick response. Honestly I was/ am quite unfamiliar with the arctic gulls and now I see that I underestimated the age in general when comparing the pics with the drawings in „Gulls Of North America, Europe, And Asia“ by Klaus M. Olsen. I took pictures 4 & 5 almost at the same time, just to provide different views. First, I thougt of a first-year Glaucous gull, then I recognized, that the head shows only very slight streaks. And: the lack of the "crescents" below / above the eye. So I decided for 2 cy Iceland Gull. Ok, the bill length did not really fit ID as Iceland Gull. But the bill is not really massive - but just somewhat longer and was missing any fleshy tip. Something comparable in age evaluation happened with pic 3. Instead of 2cy Glaucous Gull I thought of 1st year Glaucous Gull.
Really I thank you so much for your help!!
Cheers
Johannes

Hi Lou,
Thank you very much for your quick response. Honestly I was/ am quite unfamiliar with the arctic gulls and now I see that I underestimated the age in general when comparing the pics with the drawings in „Gulls Of North America, Europe, And Asia“ by Klaus M. Olsen. I took pictures 4 & 5 almost at the same time, just to provide different views. First, I thougt of a first-year Glaucous gull, then I recognized, that the head shows only very slight streaks. And: the lack of the "crescents" below / above the eye. So I decided for 2 cy Iceland Gull. Ok, the bill length did not really fit ID as Iceland Gull. But the bill is not really massive - but just somewhat longer and was missing any fleshy tip. Something comparable in age evaluation happened with pic 3. Instead of 2cy Glaucous Gull I thought of 1st year Glaucous Gull.
Really I thank you so much for your help!!
Cheers
Johannes

3 is a "1st year" = 2nd cylendar year = 1st cycle glaucous. 1st year is not an advised term as it doesn't describe an accurate age, that's why we use either calendar year (after january 1st it is 2nd calendar year) or "1st winter"/"1st summer" (1st summer being 2cy!) or, even more exact in terms of moult cycles: 1st cycle, the 2nd cycle beginning when primaries start to moult for the first time.

cheers

3 is a "1st year" = 2nd cylendar year = 1st cycle glaucous. 1st year is not an advised term as it doesn't describe an accurate age, that's why we use either calendar year (after january 1st it is 2nd calendar year) or "1st winter"/"1st summer" (1st summer being 2cy!) or, even more exact in terms of moult cycles: 1st cycle, the 2nd cycle beginning when primaries start to moult for the first time.

cheers

aha, now I know even more...........
Thanks
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back