• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pentax Digital Photo adapter (1 Viewer)

Dmartin25

Hi,
Does any one have any experience with the digital photo adapter from pentax? The item is listed on http://www.bhphotovideo.com under scope adapters. Pentax USA Price : $ 129.00
PF-DS1 Non-SLR Digital Photo Adapter - for Digiscoping
It looks like an interesting set up and is relatively inexpensive. The adapter is specifically made to work with the pentax optio series cameras. It states that it may work with other cameras as well, and gives the needful dimensions of the adapter to consider the use of other cameras . I am seriously considering this for my PF65A.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, David

Dmartin25 said:
Hi,
Does any one have any experience with the digital photo adapter from pentax? The item is listed on http://www.bhphotovideo.com under scope adapters. Pentax USA Price : $ 129.00
PF-DS1 Non-SLR Digital Photo Adapter - for Digiscoping
It looks like an interesting set up and is relatively inexpensive. The adapter is specifically made to work with the pentax optio series cameras. It states that it may work with other cameras as well, and gives the needful dimensions of the adapter to consider the use of other cameras . I am seriously considering this for my PF65A.
Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks, David

You probably won't get much replys to this question. Most of us here are using different incarnations of the Universal Digiscoping Adapter (here is one incarnation: http://www.william-optics.com/wowebs/prod_acc/adp_uda/features0.htm). The Scopetronix version even comes with an extension plate what allows you to use longer camcorders and cameras.

For the price of the Pentax Optio adapter, we can buy both the 1.25" and the 2" version of the Universal digiscoping adapter (UDA). This prevents us from being locked into one particular camera line and eyepiece line. Plus it is much cheaper and works great (I own both sizes).

The 1.25" UDA even allows the user to digiscope with roof prism binoculars on a tripod (which I've also done). So the Pentax adapter gives up too much in features, flexbility, and price.

2" UDA Adapter for Pentax Optio and Swarovski

I have tried the UDA Adapter and I couldn't get the camera ( Pentax Optio ) to center on the lens. What I do like is the how easy it is to take on and off. does anyone have any ideas. I have a Swarovski 80mm scope. The platform won't raise the camera high enough to center it. I have tried the adapter made by Sawrovski, but I found it combersome and expensive.

Thanks
John

[

Well, I ordered my 2" UDA from Williams Optics and they include a camera raising nut that lifts the camera high enough to center on my 2" eyepieces. Without it, mine won't align neither.

jdeplace said:
I have tried the UDA Adapter and I couldn't get the camera ( Pentax Optio ) to center on the lens. What I do like is the how easy it is to take on and off. does anyone have any ideas. I have a Swarovski 80mm scope. The platform won't raise the camera high enough to center it. I have tried the adapter made by Sawrovski, but I found it combersome and expensive.

Thanks
John

[

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back